The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
while Mixing digitally, do you process any track w/analog gear? Consoles
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
I would much prefer that PT would calculate the latency automatically for analog stuff or plug ins.
very

-dave
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

wow, thank you for your responses.
i was wondering how did you deal with aditional ad/da, automation, suming and LATENCY when mixing.

It's always nice to hear and learn about all the different approaches people use to accomplish the same *simple* thing: Mix.
the matter is without the bucks for an 88R, life is so hard heh

keep posting, please.

PS: i'm curious how mwagener mixes with those 2 sonys and all that nice analog gear. And does he sum in the sonys?
Old 7th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
The 16 outs comprise mono or stereo "stems" from the DAW mixer.

a) some indevidual signals I wish to tweak
b) Groups (assigned in PT) of stuff that can also be tweaked, (but only as a group, say all Bvox etc)
The reason I asked is because I have a SBM-2 and I am finding out to accomplish what we were discussing above, you are going to need more than 16 ins(more like 64 and up).
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
[In PT I just copy the tracks that I want some kind of processing, shift it over by the number of samples and send the out to whatever(dynamics or time based effects). That way you can monitor the return(put in rec mode) and it will be in time. Than i just print it and its done.
Damn Thrill you are just like guitar George, you know all the chords
That is a great idea! I'm pretty new to Protools so I've got lots of things to learn. Dumb question but is the delay amount the same when you are just going out to comps, how many samples?
I guess it says in the 192 manual somewhere the amount of converter delay? Anywhoo I want to try this with my 1176 and that cl1b I bought per your recommend , thanks
daniel
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

FOURTHTUNZ,

Make sure you actually double-check the amount of the conversion latency, as I believe some of the earlier manuals that shipped with the 192 were actually incorrect! I think it's also different with the stereo dithered mixer than it is with the regular stereo mixer or the surround mixer.

-dave

ps: wasn't it "Guitar John"? heh
Old 9th April 2003
Question for you guys that sum your digital tracks on a analog mixer:
If you have an analog compressor that you want to use do you patch it as an insert on PT or do you patch it as an insert on the summing hardware/mixer? If you patch it on the mixer... how do you deal with volumes automation? Won't it change the amount of signal going into the compressor?
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Considering the point we're reached in this topic, i think we should group or differentiate the possible case scenarios.
We first assume there's using of DAWs along with ANALOG gear while MIXING. So then:

1) You do the final suming DIGITALLY, either inside DAW or DMixer (taking the final stereo mix DA output to *glue* on a Manley and AD back, belongs to this category).
1a) your analog inserts/processing take place in realtime, (on the fly), as you mix INSIDE your DAW/DMixer

1b) you Record the analog processed track/s, which take the place of the source track (so you end up with x2 times nº of tracks). Then just automate faders/mutes INSIDE the box.

2) Your final suming is out of the box, on an ANALOG Mixer/Dangerous rack.. etc.
2a) your automation is still INSIDE the DAW (automated tracks D/A>analog processing>analog suming). Therefore analog processing comes AFTER digital gain riding/automation.

2b) you automate in the analog domain (MUTE/VCA/MovingFaders). Therefore you use the DAW just *like* a regular tape machine while mixing: Tracks(or groups of)DA>analog processing>automated analog mixer.

What's your method? have i missed some combination?
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
FOURTHTUNZ,

Make sure you actually double-check the amount of the conversion latency, as I believe some of the earlier manuals that shipped with the 192 were actually incorrect! I think it's also different with the stereo dithered mixer than it is with the regular stereo mixer or the surround mixer.

-dave

I was hoping Thrill would give us the answerheh
The Guitar George I was talking about was the one in Sultans of Swing, which one are you aluding to?
daniel
Old 9th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
FOURTHTUNZ,

-dave

Hey Dave,

But who is still running the stereo dithered mixer in HD?
Old 9th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Question for you guys that sum your digital tracks on a analog mixer:
If you have an analog compressor that you want to use do you patch it as an insert on PT or do you patch it as an insert on the summing hardware/mixer? If you patch it on the mixer... how do you deal with volumes automation? Won't it change the amount of signal going into the compressor?

Hey Jeronimo,

As I posted earlier, I never patch an analog piece as an insert in PT(I have once a Moog EQ I think on a bass). The latency totally changed the feel and the sound.

You need some kind of patchbay. The only time I patch it on the summing mixer is at the final stage on the 2 mix.

Usually if you patch an insert its pre-fader(before automation).
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Dave,

But who is still running the stereo dithered mixer in HD?
Thrill,
Is it not advisable to run the dithered mixer in HD?
I am after suggestions from others. Are you kidding, or what?
I don't get this whole thing....

thanks
Old 9th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jindrich
Considering the point we're reached in this topic, i think we should group or differentiate the possible case scenarios.
We first assume there's using of DAWs along with ANALOG gear while MIXING. So then:

1) You do the final suming DIGITALLY, either inside DAW or DMixer (taking the final stereo mix DA output to *glue* on a Manley and AD back, belongs to this category).
1a) your analog inserts/processing take place in realtime, (on the fly), as you mix INSIDE your DAW/DMixer

1b) you Record the analog processed track/s, which take the place of the source track (so you end up with x2 times nº of tracks). Then just automate faders/mutes INSIDE the box.

2) Your final suming is out of the box, on an ANALOG Mixer/Dangerous rack.. etc.
2a) your automation is still INSIDE the DAW (automated tracks D/A>analog processing>analog suming). Therefore analog processing comes AFTER digital gain riding/automation.

2b) you automate in the analog domain (MUTE/VCA/MovingFaders). Therefore you use the DAW just *like* a regular tape machine while mixing: Tracks(or groups of)DA>analog processing>automated analog mixer.

What's your method? have i missed some combination?

Mine is a combination of both 1 and 2.

If working on PT with outboard summing box than I track the processing(dynamics and effects), send the stems with automation to the summing box, do final panning tweaks on box and send stereo mix to comp/EQ to final recording medium(either 1/2",1/4" or HEDD-Masterlink/PT).

If working with analog console, than do processing on console(dynamics and effects) print that to PT(for recall purposes), automation can be either or(computer or console), send final mix to comp/EQ than to either 1/2",1/4" or HEDD-Masterlink/PT.
Old 9th April 2003
Ok, let me see if I got it:

If you want to use a 160 (let's say) on the kick and you want to automate the kick volume:

a) nudge your track to compensate the delay (D/A/D) and use a pre-fader instert on PT

b) send your track direct out from PT to 160 and back to PT and re-record it compressed, then nudge and automate it

c)is there other way?
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Ok, let me see if I got it:

If you want to use a 160 (let's say) on the kick and you want to automate the kick volume:

a) nudge your track to compensate the delay (D/A/D) and use a pre-fader instert on PT

b) send your track direct out from PT to 160 and back to PT and re-record it compressed, then nudge and automate it
Well, if you use an insert I/O to get to and from the 160, you just use a bus on that fader to get to the record-enabled track. Otherwise, don't use the insert but set the output on your source track to the D/A out you've connected to the 160.

Quote:
then nudge and automate it
You already nudged the source track. No more nudging!

Quote:
c)is there other way?
Probably. If you find a way you like better, please share with the class.
-dave
Old 11th April 2003
a and b where different options... right?
I Think I got the idea...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search