The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 896: Mac
Old 1st July 2005
Here for the gear

Motu 896: Mac

Hey, what differences are there between 896HD and standard 896?

Also, what mac would you run cubase/logic on with the motu for great (but not ridiculously expensive) results

looking at 2g with dual 800mHz g4, but dont know yet
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Nut

I think the 896HD has a 'standalone' mode where you can use it as a simple 8x2 mixer. Also the CueMix facility is better equipped, the first 896 can only monitor two inputs with zero latency at one time. I have an original 896, and have used it very happily with a G4 500Mhz powerbook and DP3. I even managed to use it with Logic 6 and OSX10.2 on a 1Ghz G4 tower.

Hope that helps,

fish
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

The new 896 also goes to 192 kHz on the analog inputs.
Old 1st July 2005
Here for the gear

cheers guys

any comments on best software to use with it?

im not using very much midi or vst's or anything. maybe just a dabble in that department.

pretty much just vox, guitar, bass and drums.

also fishman, if you record drums, whats your path from mic to interface?
Old 1st July 2005
Here for the gear

i want to utilise all 16 inputs for the drums by running the mics through a pre amp of sorts then to the interface. what can do this?
run two 8 bus mixers? one 16 bus mixer? or something different all together?
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Nut

My very high end path consists of a K2 directly into the 896 mic inputs... :(
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Nut

If you're not planning on running VSTs then you can get away with a cheap G4 I think. As far as recording drums, I simply used the mic inputs on the 896, which gives me six or seven channels for drums (with one free for a guide guitar) then I just overdubbed later.

I don't need the 896 anymore as I now have better recording equipment, but it performed its job very well. No complaints (unless ur on a PC, but that's another story).

fish
Old 1st July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
I think the 896HD has a 'standalone' mode where you can use it as a simple 8x2 mixer. Also the CueMix facility is better equipped,

Actually, It's not quite stand alone. You can adjust the levels but you can't change the assignments without hooking it up to a computer. Of course, it doesn't have any non-volitile memory, so you have to hook up a computer to the HD after power-up to set the assignments on the cue mixer.

The marketing makes it sound like you can take it to another location without a computer and use it as a mixer, but that is not true.

You can use it for 16 channels at once if you have another converter and use the ADAT digital inputs.

-tINY

Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

awesome

also, how do triggers work
are they costly?, does that justify the out put?
i want to use my own samples

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search