The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nice Optical Cable
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Nice Optical Cable

How important is high quality optical cable? Any brand recommendations? Or is this of very little importance?
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
How important is high quality optical cable? Any brand recommendations? Or is this of very little importance?
Quality cable is always of importance but there's really no need to spend crazy money on optical.
I just went through this same search and I ended up with Redco in CT. They were very helpful , had speedy service and the cable works great.
Old 1st July 2005
member no 666

Redco is great!!

Pretty much all the work we farm out goes to Redco... all of the materials for the work we don't farm out comes from Redco.
Old 1st July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Redco is great, I have a snake from them but for TOSLINK cables there is a guy on eBay who sells nice ones dirt cheap too. I can't remember his user name right now, but I bought some long optical cables from him and they have been great and the jacket is good and thick. He was maybe 1/3 to 1/2 price of anywhere I could find.

War
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

War: Are you thinking of captnstarstripe?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50Q...aptnstarstripe

Just to see if there is any tangible difference between more expensive glass optical cables that captnstarstripe sells and the cheap plastic Hosa opticals, I bought a set of each and ran them in parallel between my mixer and computer. I did some testing and concluded that each passed the same signal with no discernable difference. In short, inverting phase between the two cables resulted in absolute silence at very high volumes and, as expected, there was no audible difference. I recorded the phase reversed output from the test, looked at it in Wavelab and found no spurious "bits" (if you get my meaning).

So, while I absolutely believe in buying good audio cable for regular duty (I have a vendor who makes great Mogami cables for competitive prices), I firmly believe that optical is optical. I would definitely *not* spend the kind of money that Apogee asks for their optical cables. I ended up keeping the cables from capnstarstripe and I would order more from him because they offer very good protection and they have solid connectors. The standard Hosa optical cables offer almost no protection (a plastic-like coating on the actual optical strand that couldn't be more than 0.5mm thick), so you could damage one very easily.

6ft Hosas run ~$20
6ft capnstarstripe's glass opticals run $30
6ft apogee opticals run ~$60

The $10 difference is worthwhile, but another doubling in cost is not IMO.

-Synth80s
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
I've picked a few 3 and 6 footers up on eBay for something like $2 a piece, but they getcha with $5 shipping... still it's only $7 and it's the thick/sturdy kind that Monster probably just rebrands.

I know I've purchased at least a couple optical cables from the person hosting this auction:

3 ft. optical cable on eBay

(I've got no affiliation with them except for being a satisfied customer.)
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Nut

^^
I bought those (9 feet long, though). They are great and cost next to nothing. My local Guitar center sells the SAME cables for $45, can you believe it??
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Cool, thanks guys. Sounds like freaking out about good optical cable is pretty pointless, which is what I imagined. That's the great thing about digital I guess, is you don't have to worry about things like having $$$ cables. I just got some of those 1.99 cables off ebay, we'll see how those work.
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

The Redco's are under $20.00 and work fine.
Total silence when reverse a/b'd.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if any of these suggestions fit in the narrow area given by an RME 9652 or 9632?
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinx
Does anyone know if any of these suggestions fit in the narrow area given by an RME 9652 or 9632?
I'm using one set of capnstarstripe's optical cables (with relatively big connectors) and a set of hosa opticals with my 9652 -- no problems.

-Synth80s
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

I use the linked "cheapo" Ebay cables (linked above) with my RME 9632 for quite a while now without any problems. As I said above already, the SAME cables cost $45 at my local Guitar Center.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search