The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
5.1 Home Studio??
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

5.1 Home Studio??

After seeing this link, it's not far fetched in my mind. 5.1 is an audio standard. I don't mean on CD's (duh), and obviously mix engineers doing BIG records & live DVD's are already doing this on the regular, but is every mix going to need a 5.1 pass soon??

It seems every high end studio I visit that has been built in the last 6 years is fully surround capable with video monitoring as a post production suite. There may be other threads on this topic, but these yamaha prosumer boards are 5.1 capable!?!?!(see the link below) I had a double take. Think about it. Video games, digital cable, DVD's (obviously) are now all running 5.1 standard. Waves recently released the UM226, a new plug that turns a stereo mix into a 5.1 mix just by opening it. I didn't think this stuff would hit the "home" studio market so fast!!

n12/n8 - Products - Yamahasynth.com
Old 8th February 2009
god i hope not.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
god i hope not.
haha amen!
Old 8th February 2009

5.1 is not a necessity for most people at this point.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
5.1 is not a necessity for most people at this point.

That's where my head is at...but the fact that 5.1 is available on a $900 mixer just suprised me a little. This must mean there is a market for it, and it's got me wondering what it is these people are doing. It's designed for Cubase, and I'm a PT and Logic user, so I'm not sure what the 5.1 capabilities are.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Oh no... and I just tossed my last Quadrphonic record LP
You mean it's back again?
I've got a BetaMax tapedeck for sale too.
Attached Thumbnails
5.1 Home Studio??-quadradisk.jpg  
Old 8th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD View Post
That's where my head is at...but the fact that 5.1 is available on a $900 mixer just suprised me a little. This must mean there is a market for it, and it's got me wondering what it is these people are doing. It's designed for Cubase, but I'm a PT and Logic user. Are people doing video game stuff with these?
Probably for the people mixing audio/ music for video.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool, thanks for reaching out Tony.
Old 8th February 2009

Quote:
Cool, thanks for reaching out Tony.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's where my head is at...but the fact that 5.1 is available on a $900 mixer just suprised me a little. This must mean there is a market for it, and it's got me wondering what it is these people are doing. It's designed for Cubase, and I'm a PT and Logic user, so I'm not sure what the 5.1 capabilities are.
It isn't hard to implement a 6 way output bus and call it "5.1 capable". If you want to do surround mixing, you're going to need to spend a lot more than $900 on decent monitors. Room design for suround is more complicated than straight-up stereo too. You need to consider reflections from the surround speakers as well as the front ones. Symmetry becomes a big deal. Plus you have to locate and calibrate the system with it's sub(s). If you buy the Waves 360 toolkit you're looking at a couple grand for plugs. Pretty soon you'll find the $900 mixer probably won't cut it for your various monitoring needs- think stereo headphones for tracking and overdubbing, a set or two of stereo reference monitors for the bulk of your work, etc., etc.

If you're doing audio post for film, game sound mixing and editing, or someting else where people will pay a premium for all that goes into the fitup of an ITU or THX compliant room go for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at the "surround ready" moniker on the console as a way to move more units and not a serious effort to promote 5.1 production.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear
5.1 seems to be a really small portion of the audio market..

Films and games use the technology a lot - but with audio, the 5.1 mixes are usually really poor and generally give off the impression it was an after thought.
Music DVDs can be great in 5.1 - but again, the quality varies vastly.

I think 5.1 is a really great delivery format with the potential to be as standard as stereo is now - but if that comes, it'll be a long long way off.

We've still got to make sure that consumers place their 2 speakers in the right place - never mind 5!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search