The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording Drums
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Recording Drums

Quick question.... first time recording our drummer. Recording alternative, nu metal rock

1. Do you recommend taking the bottom heads off the toms? I've heard to do that for easier tuning and easier recording?

2. Bass drum take the front off?
Old 8th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyru View Post
Quick question.... first time recording our drummer. Recording alternative, nu metal rock

1. Do you recommend taking the bottom heads off the toms? I've heard to do that for easier tuning and easier recording?

Ask the drummer what he likes and go from there. It will be way easier to adapt to his tone and setup, than to have him adapt to your recording setup.

Have everything setup before he gets there; headphones and everything. Have him sit down at the kit; without the headphones, and play hearing in the room and his kit. Get sounds, [I would recommend with as little microphones as possible] and balance the sound how your drummer would like to hear play back [ala drummers perspective or audience perspective] I can only do audience perspective so I make them conform there; but it all depends. After he's played for a while; hearing the tone on the drums [hopefully they will be in tune with bottom heads or not] and then once you have the tones, sounds, mic placement that works, turn the faders on his mix down 5 dB and let him kill it over the track.
Old 8th February 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

Try taking the top heads off first.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

You don't have to take the bottom heads off the toms.
The kick front head you can take off so you can get the mic (D112 - or - Audix D6) up on in there. You can also add a pillow or a neatly folded blanket to muffle the ring.
Try placing a mic a bit to one side and angle it to where the beater hits the head.
EQ on Nu Metal kick:
Boost between 60-100
Cut between 25-450
Boost 2.5 - 5k
Boost 10-12k
Good luck!
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

thanks rednose! good info
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
Try taking the top heads off first.
click....gurgle gurgle...<cough cough!>.... bettah have anudah hit dare brudda
Old 8th February 2009
Everything you ever wanted to know about drums, and then some:

Drum Tuning Bible

Slipperman's metal guitars guide also has some pretty cool stuff about drums as well:

Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell

I would recommend these guides to anyone, they really opened my eyes on lots of things.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyru View Post

It depends on how your drums sound with them on, and whether or not there is a hole in the kick head.. We took the head off our drummers kick because there was no hole. I've been able to get a good sound out of it with it off.

We did overdubs on our latest session today and the kick sounded amazing-- we used the audix d6 and then the yamaha subkick to pick up more low end, and it was easier to position with the kick head off..

Mark

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search