The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cheap Preamp for guitar and voc
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Cheap Preamp for guitar and voc

I'm currently looking for a cheap preamp solution that allows me to route guitar (and voc) signals through synthezisers and effects units (in my case a DSI evolver and a korg Kaoss pad). Both guitar and vocal sounds are to weak to be used properly on these units. Also, they're just mono, any possibility to convert them in 2 signals so I can plug them in stereo inputs? The Preamp should be cheap, not more than 200$, and I'd rather a desktop than a rack unit...

thx
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Compromise is a sad fact of life for a musician. But buying cheap is usually the most expensive compromise in the long run. Buying cheap means you buy twice. At least. More likely, you will buy/trade multiple times, haemoraghing money all the way in micro-incremental steps towards your goal of sonic nirvana.

Some things can tolerate compromise - but a mic preamp is one of those critical components that is worth doing right, if you can. It depends on how serious your music career is.

What kind of guitar? Acoustic with pickup? Because the same preamp won't be much use for an electric ...

A small mixer (e.g. Mackie) might be a useful tool for you.

The cheap M-Audio Audio Buddy might be useful - it's not a bad preamp for the price, and you are avoiding the more expensive middle ground of stuff that is only slightly better but ultimately you will have to trade out of.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

in that case... a middle range price;acceptable preamp? I just want to do "sketched" recordings, not high end.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

rane msb1 if you want something clean. $150

GAP Pre-73 if you want something colored. $300

or even then, the Black Lion Auteur is a viable option with 2 channels at $465. its cool if you plan on doing scratch for now, but eventually decide to go hifi. you wont have to buy another pre in that transition (unless you decide to record acoustic drums)
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

There's dozens of choices. What did you want them to sound like? Bright, dark, detailed, aggressive, vintage, modern, etc.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

M-Audio DMP-3
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
M-Audio DMP-3
another good one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search