The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to get mixing / recording work?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

How to get mixing / recording work?

I have been doing freelance recordings and mixing for several years now. And in being a live sound engineer and a musician I have been collecting gear and working with it for several years. I am just wondering how do you get mixing and recording jobs? It seems I have allot of time on my hands and I am doing mixes for a few artists. I have a professional mixing facility to mix at and some great tools and plenty experience to be confident that I am a pro. But like I said I did this freelance and Im just trying to get some work and advise on how to do it. Any valid tips are welcomed. Thanks!
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

Record/mix records that people really like. This is the one and only way to get work doing this. It may mean doing some records for next to nothing but once youve made some gems, folks will come a knockin.
Old 7th February 2009
It's all about people-- getting to know them, demonstrating what you can do, getting them to trust you with their projects. You need to connect with people who are right at the point of needing a solid, representative recording and offer them a deal they would be foolish to pass up.

After a while, it will be all about the long trail of CDs you leave in your wake and the reputation you get by consistently doing amazing work, going the extra mile and a half, saving the day a time or two, being a fun and amusing guy to hang out with.

In my formative days, my mentor-figure pointed out that this business-- a service business-- is no different from landscape architecture or lawyering. You need to be someone people can turn to with confidence.

Track down young bands/singers/concert venues and talk your way into it, do something for free like Flora suggests, and be prepared for a long and brutal apprenticeship. I made the mistake of thinking that once I did one great bluegrass album, all the local bluegrass guys would flock like seagulls... eh... no, it's more like ten years of great bluegrass albums, then they start hounding you...
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

There's good freelance business advice at freelanceswitch.com - they're mostly web designers but they talk about the business of working for yourself and it's all helpful.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search