The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where to go next?
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Where to go next?

Hey everybody...this is another one of those kind of dumb help me spend music threads.

It looks I've got about 5K to spend on gear (maybe a little more), and after doing a ridiculous amount of reasearch on the web, I'm still confused as to what to do with it!

Currently, I'm set up like this:

PowerBook 1.33/Logic 7
Presonus Firepod
Seventh Circle N72/A12 (two of each)
Hamptone Tube Mic Pre
Soundelux U195
Stapes SD Omni's
(OK) fostex monitors

So, I'm trying to think where to spend the money to take it up a notch...It's obviously not much, but if I'm careful, I think I could probably make some decent improvements.

Things I generally find myself reaching for:

EQ!!!!!
NOT much compression. Seriously, I'm not a compression junky...I like a little REN comp on the two buss, a little vocal compression, and a little on the snare. Seriously, that's about it.

The music I do is pretty straightforward, Wilco-ish with a little synth. As far as synths, I'm think I'm cool with my XP-60 and the garageband instruments.

Things that piss me off about my setup:

1. The firepod. Seriously, it has a suck knob you use to avoid latency...balancing between the original signal (good) and the ITB signal (bad).

2. Latency with plug instruments and general computer-crapping-out havoc.

3. Using the mouse constanty.

So, the relatively short list goes something like this so far:

1. Metric Halo 2882 ($1200)
2. Mackie 624 pair...Low end ADAMS/Dynaudio/? instead?($850)
3. 20" display/ext. hard drive ($850)
4. Distressor ($1000)
5. Midas Venice 160 ($2300) (for summing/eq/utility pres)

So yeah, that's what I've got so far. It looks ok, but maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Part of me wonders if the workflow thing could be solved with a protools set up. Anybody care to weigh in on that? I loose the GarageBand instruments which actually kind of sucks...with tweaking, it has the best acoustic piano sound I've found yet. But, if it's going to solve a little of the sitting in front of the computer and tweaking drivers thing, it could sell me. Maybe there's a good piano sound for profools, too...I've never messed with it. Also, the price of a midas could get me a new fast G5 too...that seems like a big one for the latency/stability thing that's driving me nuts. Crap maybe I need a ribbon mic a la R84.

As you can see, I'm all screwed up!

Thanks and sorry for the long help me spend (not much) money post.

kelly
Old 30th June 2005
You appear to only be addressing 1 of your concerns with the list.

I would add a control surface to the list if you don't like the mouse.
I would add a faster computer to eliminate the computer issues.
I would go with a DAW solution that has addressed the latency issue instead of buying a console. (if that is the logic here.)
I would add another monitor as dual monitors help more than most things especially if you are using native insts.
I would wait until you have at least 2.5k for monitors and not waste the money on a "stop-gap" solution like the Mackies. OR find some used non-powered Dyn BM6A's and power them with a reciever until you can afford better.

Good luck!!!

David
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Guru

Kelly,

> Currently, I'm set up like this: <

The weakest link in that chain is monitoring. All the gear in the world is useless if you can't hear what you're doing. I may be biased heh but I'd invest in better loudspeakers and put the rest into room treatment.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search