The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API new ad campaign, sorta new products
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

API new ad campaign, sorta new products

The trio of "console strip" products just got their own section on the API website this week. The 7600 has been around for awhile, the 7800 has been announced but not available, while the 8200 is their newest item. All three are brought together in one ad that finally describes how they all fit together. The best part is the availability of PDF manuals for the 7800 and 8200 that finally anwer many questions that several of us have been asking for quite a while. There are still a few unanswered questions, mostly about the 8200a variation of the line mixer. But it seems like the concept of a "build it yourself" real API console is now possible.

Check it out:
http://www.apiaudio.com/embrace%20page.html

my primary question at this point concerns the price hit to upgrade the 8200 to the 8200a? Several dealer websites offer price info for the 8200, but nothing on the 8200a.

steve
[email protected]
Old 4th April 2003
There is only one

man... API has one of the worst looking websites of any audio manufacturer. i even contacted them about redesigning their site for them and make it look killer but got no reply.

their ad is just as pathetic. they NEED an art director. the chick isnt "all that" and the design of the ad is horrible anyway.
Old 4th April 2003
Re: API new ad campaign, sorta new products

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
The trio of "console strip" products just got their own section on the API website this week. The 7600 has been around for awhile, the 7800 has been announced but not available, while the 8200 is their newest item. All three are brought together in one ad that finally describes how they all fit together. The best part is the availability of PDF manuals for the 7800 and 8200 that finally anwer many questions that several of us have been asking for quite a while. There are still a few unanswered questions, mostly about the 8200a variation of the line mixer. But it seems like the concept of a "build it yourself" real API console is now possible.

Check it out:
http://www.apiaudio.com/embrace%20page.html

my primary question at this point concerns the price hit to upgrade the 8200 to the 8200a? Several dealer websites offer price info for the 8200, but nothing on the 8200a.

steve
[email protected]

So what will the price be in the end for an 8 channel tracking mixer?

Looks like close to $30K.

I think its cheaper to purchase an old 24 by 16 API mixer.

And 2 auxes is practically nada.
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Addict

Whatever happened to the MiniLegacy mixer that was nominated for a TEC award a few years ago? Did they even have a mock-up for AES?

grudge Damned vaporware.

Bear
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

Whatever happened to the MiniLegacy mixer that was nominated for a TEC award a few years ago? Did they even have a mock-up for AES?

Damned vaporware.

No shit, but they all do it. I've got a Manley brochure from the early days with no less than 4 different mixers in it and according to a forum post from E.M, none of them were ever real products. (these are different from the 5x1 "purist" mixer that's on the "dead zone" section of the current Manley site.)

steve

all I want is a 3124M without the mic preamps! simple 4x2 line level mixer with level and panning on the inputs and a master fader for the L&R outputs, thats IT! Why is that impossible to find?????

steve
[email protected]
Old 5th April 2003
Mindreader

My God that web page does suck big ones.
Old 5th April 2003
Re: Re: API new ad campaign, sorta new products

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

Agreed. Although it might cost a bit more.
Funky Junk in London currently have a 24 - 8 with 16 monitors for $43,000.
Nice mix of eq modules too.
With regards to the 7600's and 8200's, I'd rather have a Daking desk for that kind of money.thumbsup
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Well, sad to say, it beats out those dorky assed QUANTENGY ads. I swear to god if they offer me a box of tape to do one of those, imma be on the john wiping my arse with a roll of 499 just to inject some creativity into their ads.
Old 7th April 2003
Mindreader

Yes, a little help from Mt Hanky wouldn't go amiss.
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to the 7600's and 8200's, I'd rather have a Daking desk for that kind of money.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Oh, I think I'd rather have a brand new API console than a 30 year old one; I've learned the true cost of maintaining vintage gear and its always more than anyone budgeted.

A brand new API console made up of 500 series modules is all I could ask for in a new desk. Why did API decided to spend countless manhours and dollars to develop the 200 series for the Legacy? The 512, 550(x), and 525 were all proven well-liked modules. Why give up that pre-existing advantage and develop all new modules (and make them so small!)? There had to be more to it than a desire to squeeze a few more strips into a given frame size?

The new 7600, 7800 and 8200 are the closest thing we'll see to a new "classic" console in 2003. Even better, they also make it possible to re-assemble your collection of old 500 series modules back into a console; I guess that's my long, long term goal. I just wish I knew what to buy first with my limited funds: a 3124m, an 8200 or an 8200 AND a 7800?

steve
[email protected]
Old 7th April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Well, sad to say, it beats out those dorky assed QUANTENGY ads. I swear to god if they offer me a box of tape to do one of those, imma be on the john wiping my arse with a roll of 499 just to inject some creativity into their ads.
now THAT would be fucking hilarious... E squatting in a stall with a roll of 499 on the wall wiping his ass with it.
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Or wearing a quantegy t shit and wiping his ass with another brand...
Old 7th April 2003
Quote:

With regards to the 7600's and 8200's, I'd rather have a Daking desk for that kind of money.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Oh, I think I'd rather have a brand new API console than a 30 year old one; I've learned the true cost of maintaining vintage gear and its always more than anyone budgeted.

A brand new API console made up of 500 series modules is all I could ask for in a new desk. Why did API decided to spend countless manhours and dollars to develop the 200 series for the Legacy? The 512, 550(x), and 525 were all proven well-liked modules. Why give up that pre-existing advantage and develop all new modules (and make them so small!)? There had to be more to it than a desire to squeeze a few more strips into a given frame size?

The new 7600, 7800 and 8200 are the closest thing we'll see to a new "classic" console in 2003. Even better, they also make it possible to re-assemble your collection of old 500 series modules back into a console; I guess that's my long, long term goal. I just wish I knew what to buy first with my limited funds: a 3124m, an 8200 or an 8200 AND a 7800?

steve
[email protected]
Hey Steve,

The 7600 has the 212L preamp and the 225L compressor from the Legacy.

They started making them because they are easier to build.

The 8200 doesn't even use the 2520 op amp(2510). So its not a going to be a 500 console when you put it together.

I am sure it will be good.

But if you want the old API, than your best bet is to buy an old API.
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

The 8200 is an excellent alternative to the Dangerous summing mixers. You have the abilty to insert, use a couple of external effects and tweak levels. The 8200a will add a summing amp, ect. so that you don't need a 7800 master module. You could run a bunch of 8200s and one 8200a for a stand alone summing mixer.

One thing about the 7600 that many don't know is the patchable nature of the 225 comp and the 550a eq. They are independantly patchable unlike most any other channel strip out there.

I'm suprised that API (ATI) didn't include the 2500 bus compressor in the ad. It's magnificant, makes me very happy.

bp
Old 15th April 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
man... API has one of the worst looking websites of any audio manufacturer. i even contacted them about redesigning their site for them and make it look killer but got no reply.

their ad is just as pathetic. they NEED an art director. the chick isnt "all that" and the design of the ad is horrible anyway.
Yeah, I agree. Her hands are in the wrong places. I would have moved them just right to show the product better. And what about the lighting? At least their product sounds better then the Ad & site looks.
Old 15th April 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
...all I want is a 3124M without the mic preamps! simple 4x2 line level mixer with level and panning on the inputs and a master fader for the L&R outputs, thats IT! Why is that impossible to find?????

steve
[email protected]
Why not talk to Dave Hill at Crane Song? Maybe he can make a custom 4X2 for you. I'm sure it will rock.
Old 15th April 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TinderArts
The 8200 is an excellent alternative to the Dangerous summing mixers. You have the abilty to insert, use a couple of external effects and tweak levels. The 8200a will add a summing amp, ect. so that you don't need a 7800 master module. You could run a bunch of 8200s and one 8200a for a stand alone summing mixer.

One thing about the 7600 that many don't know is the patchable nature of the 225 comp and the 550a eq. They are independantly patchable unlike most any other channel strip out there.

I'm suprised that API (ATI) didn't include the 2500 bus compressor in the ad. It's magnificant, makes me very happy.

bp
I cannot wait until Andrew at Purple Audio get's his new line mixer out there! From what I understand, it will be a very serious contender.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear