Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Two words: Tape Op.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Tape OP & Sound on Sound
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

1. "Resolution" Magazine---from the UK--this successor to "Studio Sound" is the best
lasts for several months here

2. "Tape Op" Magazine----tattooed and unbathed, still it does a good job.
lasts for 1 month here

3. "Pro Audio Review" Magazine---at least they still measure equipment on the test bench.
lasts for 1 week here

All other commercial mags are read here in less than 15 minutes and then thrown away.

"Mix" Magazine lasts 8 minutes here before it is thrown in the trash.

Last edited by Plush; 7th February 2009 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: speel check
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

"Mix" Magazine lasts 8 minutes here before it is thrown in the trash.
That's about 3 minutes longer than it takes me.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
Tape Op.

+1
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
Tape OP & Sound on Sound
Same here :o)
Old 7th February 2009
Tape Op.

It can be a little discouraging reading the letters section and realizing how much misinformation and technical ignorance is out there -- but the magazine gives every sign of being created and written by people who love recording.

At one point I had subscriptions to just about all the main recording/music rags, Mix, EQ, EM, Keyboard, Guitar Player, even the can't-get-no-respect Recording (wasn't it called Home & Studio Recording back then?)

But I got tired of articles written by folks who were gaga over whatever supposed celeb they were interviewing. Or tech articles rife with tech mistakes. Or -- the worst -- celebrity home studios. Gawsh, I really, really hate celebrity home studio layouts in magazines.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

I interchangeably subscribe to Computer Music and Future Music. Good reviews of equipment and a disk with videos of studios (Future Music) and interviews.

I used to have Sound on Sound, but I have lost trust in their reviews. They are far to positive in order to please their advertizers.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

TAPE OP! Larry Crane is a bad mofo....
Old 7th February 2009
Tape-Op all the way. The Tape-Op books are a great read too.
Old 7th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
I interchangeably subscribe to Computer Music and Future Music. Good reviews of equipment and a disk with videos of studios (Future Music) and interviews.

I used to have Sound on Sound, but I have lost trust in their reviews. They are far to positive in order to please their advertizers.
Well..if that's what you're after. Those two are definite home studio fare....SOS is ok in places, although I don't find as much of interest as I used to, and actively disagree with some of the advice (maybe that's a good thing? shows I've learnt more). The relevant reviews to me (ie the ones that aren't for PCs, budget monitors or random weird hardware synths) are reasonably well written, but it's only one opinion as ever - and some reviewers are better than others.

Tape Op/Resolution are much more relevant to me (and personal too - anyone read the Mike Crossey interview in the current resolution? He told me he'd never do a mag interview....) and most of the time are on point.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Tape Op
SOS
Old 7th February 2009
Tape Op

We're pretty flattered over here at Tape Op by all the nice mentions.

"Tape Op, hands down. The editor is very oppinionated and somewhat preachy at times, but it's full of good stuff. The interview with T-Bone Burnett was from a couple issues ago is a must-read if you can find it. very cool stuff"

I'm not sure if being opinionated is a bad thing. It's how I like to run the mag.

"Somewhat preachy" I can understand I guess. Comes with the opinions. Hopefully it's in a positive way!

"I find it a bit heavy on the alternative music scene."

Really? Have you seen a recent issue? Must have been that stuff about Captain & Tennille or Jack Johnson.

Thanks again,
Larry Crane, editor Tape Op

PS: Someone mentioned that Audio Technology does reprints of Tape Op articles. AT is an excellent mag, but I don't recall these reprints ever happening. Am I wrong?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

I like Audio Media.
And its not because i get it for free
I guess i like it because it covers everything from recording,midi to live sound and post

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search