The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MP3 players: the future?
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

MP3 players: the future?

i have been thinking about mp3s in general and propose that in the near future there will be no pressed media for sale. consumer music will be released through the internet straight to digital music players. this will be lossy until the player/delivery technology is good enough to achieve better than the cd (not that hard) then we will approach the new rennaissnace of fidelity: the near infinite sample rate (wouldnt this sound like vinyl).

for all those that are complaining about iPODs, isnt this something to look forward to. Also, if this new format were encrypted wouldnt that put alot of engineers and such back to work.

thoughts?
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Nut

I agree with you on most of this. The media disappearing is inevitable at this point, and storage is becoming cheap enough that the quality of the audio can only go up. No one's going to need to need store 50,000 songs on their iPod... 5,000 decent sounding ones will be more desireable i think.

The enctyption thing i don't see sticking though. I think this is the embodiment of an older business model, one where the label doesn't trust the customer, and in turn pilfers huge amounts of cash from the them and from the musicians, causing people to have no choice but to pirate. If you're a college student, or a low paid intern, for instance, $15 for a cd will pay for days worth of food. I see this new format as enabling the musican/producer/whoever to offer their work directly, fewer middle men, so they can charge only as much as they need to charge to complete the project and make a living. This will end up with a few results... Smaller artists will be able to get their music out, and, since they're smaller, piracy will be less rampant. And, people will actually be able to afford albums, so they'll feel less need to pirate. I don't think anyone will be able to make a copyproof digital medium, there will always be someone with way more time than money who's pissed off enough at big business to crack the protection scheme. Look at how long the impervious "css" encryption for dvds lasted. People were walking around with t-shirts containing the code to hack dvds. I think if engineers feel they don't have enough work, they should partner with musicians, and try to create a project together, without depending on people who's only motive is to get stinkin rich. If the high quality iPod is the future, it's not apple or the labels that are going to make it work, it'll be the musicians and engineers. Take the band phish for example... they have www.livephish.com where you can download their live performances. $10 for 3 cds worth of mp3-128, or (and actually worth the money) $15 for 3 cds worth of lossless flac. They even give discounts if you buy a few shows at once, and bigger discounts if you buy a whole tour at once. This model seems like it could work just as well for bands that are more "studio" oriented. The only cost associated with the delivery medium is bandwidth, and that is getting exponentially cheaper as well.

so.. who's got my dsd iPod?
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

i think that if consumers want good music in the main stream they are going to have to start paying for it. im not saying there isnt a plethora of good music out there now, but i feel there is alot of room for improvement in modern popular music.

i hope there is encryption built into these new devices, their nature will prohibit costs anyhow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search