The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Opening up for Business. An open invitation to be torn apart by all vetran gearslutz.
Old 7th February 2009
Here for the gear

I would say MIDI drums would be an option for your set up. Programs like BFD are getting hard to trump unless you have A LOT of cash to spend on a bunch of signal chains.

Also, in my opinion I would fork out a bit of cash to get a nice microphone and mic pre, the Duet will be fine for your AD/DA needs.

As far as rates go, I would work for free (or a minimal alternative) until word gets out and you have clients knocking down your doors. And believe me, if you're doing good work, people will find you.

It really has very little to do with the gear you have, and more to do with the product you put out. If people like the sounds, but have a problem with the gear, tell them to get lost.

Good Luck
Old 7th February 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
I could list off hundreds and hundreds of small-time studios (including mine) that have all of the stuff i just listed off (and far more) that also charge 25/hr.

How are you going to compete with that with a laptop and a duet?
If you can make something out of nothing, you're going to kick even more ass once you expand your collection. A laptop and a Duet can go a LONG way don't be fooled.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdisero View Post
If you can make something out of nothing, you're going to kick even more ass once you expand your collection. A laptop and a Duet can go a LONG way don't be fooled.
That's right. Would we say painters with the same brushes and acrylics will get the same results? I think not. Take what you have and create a masterpiece, my friend. Don't let people get on you for not having the right brush. That's just bullsh*t. I think Jules' advice on page one was good to start with.

Jon
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_w View Post
Hey all. I'll explain this quickly so you can tear into me quicker.
I've been gradually building my studio for years now. I started at 14 years old with a tascam 4-track and I'm now 20 years old with a very decent setup.

What I'd like to do is open up a very affordable recording studio/space to compose with the artists. I know that this is just the begining and I am doing it mostly to learn, but I would like to make a little money while producing, engineering.

Since this is gearslutz I'll give a little gear tour. Macbook Pro/4 GB Ram/500 GB internal memory, Logic Pro 8, Apogee duet, Adam a7's, sm7, 2 sm57s, Rode NT1-A, GT Brick, Oxygen Midi controller, Real nice guitars, Amps, Drums etc. DIY bass traps (need to keep working on acoustics)

What do you PROS feel that I need to know before advertising my space.

Opinions for rates, gear needed, general studio tips from your experience, studio NAMES?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Disclaimer: I am getting good at what I do... not just another kid with pipe dreams.
Sounds like you want to be a producers that is very hands on to me. You want to co-write music with people.

So to be clear I think you should not think of yourself as a studio owner.. you should be thinking of yourself as a producer with facilities to overdub mixed with a writing studio.

Not many bands will welcome a hands on producer co-writing songs.

I'm wondering the following:

Can you hear when tuning or timing is suspect? (for editing comping and picking THE take)

Can you hear diatonic harmony and recognise when things are in key or not? If you are going to suggest developments to my music then you'd better not be lacking in these skills.

Do you have a solid foundation in musical arrangments and forms? You gotta know the rules in order to break them. You gotta be able to improve structures if required IMO.

Y'see everybody thinks they are good because of ego. But would other people who are good think you have the chops?

Peace,
cortisol
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Y'see everybody thinks they are good because of ego. But would other people who are good think you have the chops?
I laugh when this is thrown around...

Dave w, I don't think you've let on that you have an ego, whatsoever. You seem humble and excited to be a part of musical endeavors in whatever way possible. Just from that alone, I'd be drawn to seeing your setup and potentially working with you (if I was in Canada).

Cortisol, we should go back to some Blind Willy Johnson recordings, or maybe Mississippi John Hurt recordings and see if they were completely tuned and on time. Someone should ask Bob Dylan if he needs a Voicetuner. Then we'll know if they were any good, right? Give me a break. If you think of music in such a rigid structure, you'll only be dealing with sterilized music, which isn't everyone's bag, and certainly isn't the only kind of music that can be recorded.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search