The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cassette deck record out
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict
Cassette deck record out

Hi

Whilst i wait to find a cheap mixer for my new genelec 1031a's i am using my cassette deck record out with level controls to control the levels going into my genes form protools. to my mind it sounds very good, i am sure there are some criticisms doing this but is this any different form using a mackie mixer or small mixer. it is virtually noiseless i wonder if thsi is passive. any thoughts on this. it is way better than reducing my protools mixer levels.

Any opinions on this please.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict
er no response can any seasoned engineer please please comment and let me know whether the technicalities of this is good or bad.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Nut

Monitoring is best when absurdly clean. It's the only place in your system where a little distortion has absolutely no chance of helping you out. That being said, what kind of cassette deck? I once had a deck that had a passive output. I didn't even realize it until i powered it off one day and it continued to pass audio. A small mixer would not be passive, and personally i'd fear monitoring through a mackie. Also, passive doesn't neccesarily imply perfectly transparent. Lack of noise is a good sign, but, stuff like masking of transients, distortion, and uneven frequency response are also important, and much more subtle to detect. I think it all comes down to the quality of this deck, and whether money spent on a dedicated monitor controller would give a significant enough improvment for you.

(p.s. i'm not really a "seasoned" engineer, just lightly salted )
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict
mmmm lightly salted probably the best taste i reckon.. not too high up to be stuck in the clouds and not at the bottom to be fumbling in the dark like er me..:-) cheers for the opinion i havent checked to see if it is passive in the snese that it will work when off. ill give it a try thanks very much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search