The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cassette deck record out
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Cassette deck record out

Hi

Whilst i wait to find a cheap mixer for my new genelec 1031a's i am using my cassette deck record out with level controls to control the levels going into my genes form protools. to my mind it sounds very good, i am sure there are some criticisms doing this but is this any different form using a mackie mixer or small mixer. it is virtually noiseless i wonder if thsi is passive. any thoughts on this. it is way better than reducing my protools mixer levels.

Any opinions on this please.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
er no response can any seasoned engineer please please comment and let me know whether the technicalities of this is good or bad.
Old 30th June 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Monitoring is best when absurdly clean. It's the only place in your system where a little distortion has absolutely no chance of helping you out. That being said, what kind of cassette deck? I once had a deck that had a passive output. I didn't even realize it until i powered it off one day and it continued to pass audio. A small mixer would not be passive, and personally i'd fear monitoring through a mackie. Also, passive doesn't neccesarily imply perfectly transparent. Lack of noise is a good sign, but, stuff like masking of transients, distortion, and uneven frequency response are also important, and much more subtle to detect. I think it all comes down to the quality of this deck, and whether money spent on a dedicated monitor controller would give a significant enough improvment for you.

(p.s. i'm not really a "seasoned" engineer, just lightly salted )
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
mmmm lightly salted probably the best taste i reckon.. not too high up to be stuck in the clouds and not at the bottom to be fumbling in the dark like er me..:-) cheers for the opinion i havent checked to see if it is passive in the snese that it will work when off. ill give it a try thanks very much.
๐Ÿ“ Reply