The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pitch control and manipulation (NOT an autotune thread)?
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Pitch control and manipulation (NOT an autotune thread)?

I'm certainly a novice when it comes to effect units ala Eventide, Lexicon, etc... so this may be a common feature in the average run of the mill effect processor.
What I'm looking for is a unit that allows hands on pitch control that can go up or down by a couple octaves...not just a couple whole steps in either direction.

Just to let you know an example, the intro to Strawberry Fields when the Mellotron dive bombs right before the opening lyric. Granted, I know this on a Mellotron and I think it drops an octave but I want to be able to do this on any given recorded track.

Do the old Eventide 949, H910 Harmonizers do this? I want to able to manipulate the pitch in real time and manually ie: I want a big knob (no pun intended).

thanks.
j.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

no one?

really?
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

A tape machine with a Vari Speed
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for that. My MCI has a vari-speed on it but it's not drastic OR fast enough.
There must be an outboard unit that can do this.

j.
Old 29th June 2005
I use an analog delay for this type of thing:

Have the delay be 100% wet, and set at its lowest / fastest setting, then at the "big moment" grab the Delay Time Knob and slam it to it's highest / longest setting.

The pitch dives (severely) and then recovers (but at the new delayed setting)
Fun !

Sounds different with different units!
Lexicon PCM 42, MXR Doubler, etc. have built in Oscillators that can do this "automatically" for you.....

This sme concept works with some of the "analog" echo plug ins (allowing it to be "automated" at the exact right moment in the mix.

Also, certain tube ecuo units and Oil Can units do a similar thing when they are powered on/off while audio is running through them.

Not sure if this is too swooshy of an effect for what you are after, but cool none the less!
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

great ideas.
thanks.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I know you specifically are looking for an outboard unit that does this, but the ProTools Vari-Fi plugin does exactly what you describe; it'll go either playback to zero, or zero to playback in the space of the two locations you specify.

Sounds very much like a tape machine with the play head engaged, being started or stopped. Setting it to stop in one or two seconds is cool. I think it's a popular turn-around device for pop and hip-hop.

If you're not running PT, and you just need it as a one-off thing, I'd be happy to import it and process it for you.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I'm not running pro-tools so that's not really an option for me. But I sincerely appreciate your offer. There must be a box of some kind. I'll keep the hunt going.
j.
Old 30th June 2005
Yeah, Vari-Fi is a fav of mine too!

I use it way too much, but it always works !!

I know it may seem painfully obvious, but
Have you tried using a Digitech Wahmmy Pedal?

They have a few different versions now (even a "Bass Whammy"), but the original red square metal one is still the best in my book!
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Celemony Melodyne...done!
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the tip on the Celomony but like I said before, I'm not using a computer for recording. I'm running 2" tape so it has to be an outboard unit.

I figured someone right off the bat would be listing numerous effect units that can do that.

j.
Old 30th June 2005
Jai guru deva om

How about transfer the track into somebody's DAW and have it done, then transfer it back?

Nuendo's pitch shifter allows you to do this too, so if you know someone with Nuendo or PT sounds like that would be one solution. Max has offered help above.

War
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Like the man said, try a digitech wammy pedal. You can set the amount of shifting that the pedal will do in a full swing. All you need to use it is a powerpoint, no computers, no waiting around for a mate with a computer to get home, and it leaves your hands free (I'll eave that up to you to interperet).
Best of all it's not quantized, it's not tempo synced, it's.....live baby. And as we all know, no two feet sound the same.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Melodyne
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search