The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing Engineer Recommendation NJ
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Mixing Engineer Recommendation NJ

Hi
I'm looking for a top level mixing engineer in New Jersey to help mix tracks I record in my studio. Right now, I'm researching Big Blue Meenie and Shorefire studios. Any other studios or individuals? I can do NYC but trying to avoid extremely high rates. I want to attend sessions which is why I'm looking for someone local. Preferably a place that can take my 24 bit digital tracks and mix through great equipment - awesome analog console, outboard, and to analog tape.
Thanks
Greg
Old 29th June 2005
Pardon the question:

Are you asking for someone to mix some songs or a mixing lesson?

If its the former the rates shouldn't really matter.

If its the latter than make sure you are clear and upfront about it.

I say this because it can really slow down the process when doing the first.

Saying that Slipp over at BigBB is top notch.

But you didn't mention what kind of music either.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Pardon the question:

Are you asking for someone to mix some songs or a mixing lesson?

If its the former the rates shouldn't really matter.

If its the latter than make sure you are clear and upfront about it.

I say this because it can really slow down the process when doing the first.

Saying that Slipp over at BigBB is top notch.

But you didn't mention what kind of music either.
Hi Thrill
this is to mix songs which will then be mastered, and hopefully sold! It's my music. I have mixed my own songs for years but am limited by the fact that first and foremost I'm a songwriter and musician, and the whole recording and mixing process is taking thousands of hours away from writing. Secondly, I have a good front end but not a good mixing end. (Mics - soundelux, aea, royer. A/D - cranesong, EQ - Great River, Mic Pre API).

Thirdly, the style is acoustic or electric rock. It is not pop or commercial sounding however. The acoustic stuff often has three different guitar lines, bass, vocals, percussion - tambourine, shaker, djembe. The electric stuff can be hard and dry to ambient and psychedelic (Hendrix, VU, modern shoegazer rock - slowdive, mazzy star, My Bloody Valentine). Finally I have purely improvisational or live stuff. This summer, I'm trying to first finish an acoustic album. I love dynamics - soft or medium followed by explosive. Hope this helps.

Is BigBB Big Blue Meenie? couldn't find Slipp listed among the engineers.
Old 29th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp71
Hi Thrill
this is to mix songs which will then be mastered, and hopefully sold! It's my music. I have mixed my own songs for years but am limited by the fact that first and foremost I'm a songwriter and musician, and the whole recording and mixing process is taking thousands of hours away from writing. Secondly, I have a good front end but not a good mixing end. (Mics - soundelux, aea, royer. A/D - cranesong, EQ - Great River).

Thirdly, the style is acoustic or electric rock. It is not pop or commercial sounding however. The acoustic stuff often has three different guitar lines, bass, vocals, percussion - tambourine, shaker, djembe. The electric stuff can be hard and dry to ambient and psychedelic (Hendrix, VU, modern shoegazer rock - slowdive, mazzy star, My Bloody Valentine). Finally I have purely improvisational or live stuff. This summer, I'm trying to first finish an acoustic album. I love dynamics - soft or medium followed by explosive. Hope this helps.

Is BigBB Big Blue Meenie? couldn't find Slipp listed among the engineers.

Ahhh....

Understood.

The only caveat is your asking for someone who is considered "top" and finances are important.

These 2 usually don't mix well together. heh

Come to think of it these 2 don't mix period.

Yeah i meant Big Blue Meenie and Slipp is there...believe me.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict

Call my friend Brian Dozoretz at bennett studios in Englewood. Nice guy, great work, good variety of experience, nice studio. Can walk on his hands.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Ahhh....

Understood.

The only caveat is your asking for someone who is considered "top" and finances are important.

These 2 usually don't mix well together. heh

Come to think of it these 2 don't mix period.

Yeah i meant Big Blue Meenie and Slipp is there...believe me.
Ok, let me qualify this. Please give me any names at all heh
I've also been researching mastering engineers and I've been quoted from $125/hr (outside NYC) to $360/hr (inside NYC) for 'top' names. I am still looking for top of the line and I am willing to pay, just trying to avoid the extra of NYC as I'm sure they are merely covering an extremely high overhead (or other reasons!)

By the way, I will ask for Slipp and thanks to the other suggestions - I am literally going to call everyone. Any other suggestions?
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Slipperman is the man!!...if i remembered his website addy I'd give it to you to contact him....i guess you can hit him with a PM. He does have several different rooms so maybe you can get it mixed in one of the cheaper rooms for a more reasonable price.
Old 29th June 2005
Super Moderator

Hey, Give Slip a call...

He's got it going on!

I'm bringing in a live recording & mix project to his place next week.
I'm looking forward to the experience -- It should be a blast.

http://bigbluemeenie.com
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

One thumbs up for J.P Sheganoski. (sorry if I mispell) Stuff he mix is great!

His company is Risus Productions. Check out the old threat where he uploaded his mix!
Old 30th June 2005
member no 666

If I were to suggest someone it would be "Rumblemix"... give Big Blue Meenie a call at 201-656-5353 before he's booked for the rest of the summer.

Peace.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

You guys are great, thank god I found gearslutz!

I am going to call each and every place recommended until I find what works for me (don't get pissed at me if it's not you or the person you recommended, I may use alternate people in the future ). By the way, feel free at any time to either pm me or send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] (even if you find this thread in 6 months from now)
Thanks
Greg 'Lek'
Old 30th June 2005
Ken Lewis www.protoolsmixing.com

Tons of platinum, Grammy, and #1 success mixing in big NYC studios, but also has a little pro tools based studio in NJ where he works with indies. Say hello for me.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

All hail the awesome might and weapons of mass sonic pleasure and destruction that reside in BBM. The sheer sight of that console is something to behold.... Will it be Rupert's final console legacy? Either way just get ur stuff mixed there cos its da shiznit! The dude behind the desk rulez too!

PS.. he has all the goodies that boy's gag over... and more!

Cheers
Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search