The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how are mp3's these days?
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatural
AAC files sound amazing compared to mp3s. I have no problem getting emailed a missing vocal or gtr for a song and throwing them in the mix.
-brian

i have to agree. i HATE mp3s, and when a band i had produced put some songs up on their website i was ready to wince. then i listened and thought, wow, this sounds as good as i remember fro the studio. i asked him what he had done and he said:

"i made them into AAC files, from the iTunes website."

i have been doing that ever since, when sending out of state clients mixes to approve etc. WAY better than any mp3 i know about. there might be better formats, but the aac is really quite good

best regards,
rlnyc
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Head

If your going with an MP3 player, most will also play WMA files. The compression routine for WMA is much better than MP3. The same size file will sound much better. I never sample at less than 192bps. With WMA it sound pretty good.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I use the AAC format encoded at 256kb which sounds quite good to my ears. Larger files for sure, but I can listen with good cans and not be annoyed or pained by what I'm listening to...
Old 30th June 2005
THE place you can spot a MP3 a mile away is in a club with a good sound system.
that the public in general and specifically I'm making music for, isn't interested in subjective quality is a buch of woohaa cr*p. It is a fable that has been spawned by companies who profited from the small size. It is just not true.
THE show stopper after a nicely produced piece of kick*ss music is an mp3. Also at higher rates, not only is the depth in the bass just not there, there is something missing that is very important: all those frequencies that you don't hear, but unconsiously register.
True people get used to bad quality, and can even be made to believe it's the standard. All the more reason for me and my compadres to go upscale. Ipods can play better formats too! Also true; if there is no information in the music to begin with (flat as a pancake), mp3s can actually improve the subjective quality: hard to describe, but it can make them "rounder". Still doesn't do the job though.

The difference between mp3 and better stuff disappears after the intake of alcohol.

Slightly off the subject: I hate dj's that turn up CDs too loud in higher frequencies, and don't hear it themselves anymore. Probably for the reasons above.

so far for my flawed analasys.
nice thread

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search