The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many plug in EQ's do you have
View Poll Results: How many EQ plug ins do you have?
1-10
59 Votes - 62.77%
11-20
18 Votes - 19.15%
25+
13 Votes - 13.83%
I only use hardware EQ's with the possbility of 1 or 2 plug in EQ
4 Votes - 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

How many plug in EQ's do you have

It seems like everyone is just dying for a new UAD, Waves, or other EQ that comes out these days. I am curious on how many plug in Eq's you have in your studio (which would also include your DAW EQ's). If you think of all the great recordings in the past that were done with just the console EQ and perhpas one or two outboard, do you think we are too consumed with the latest and greatest plug EQ?
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

I have loads but only use a few these days this is due to improvments in digital eq
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear
I have a bunch and only use 2 or 3. I regret spending the money on a lot of plugs.
Old 2nd February 2009
Deleted 99dc753
Is that important to know how many plug ins others have.

I would even mix with only one and mostly I do need all the plug ins I have but it good to know they are there when I need them.

Andreas
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear
I have specific reason for the EQ I use.

-Cambridge for corrective.

-Pultec for extreme low end boost, or mid shaping

-Neve 1073 for that 10khz boost, also a different color and quicker mid range color.

-Cubase standard EQ for a quick low DSP LP or HP or quick fixing.

-Helios for bass shaping.

-Ozone has EQ, I don't use it.

I don't really feel I can substitute one for the other, but I know that I am not buying anymore EQs. Not the kind of thing where you need tons IMO.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Is that important to know how many plug ins others have.

I would even mix with only one and mostly I do need all the plug ins I have but it good to know they are there when I need them.

Andreas
Go to the Univeral audio forums and see how everyone there starts threads like, what you are coming out with next? When is this coming out, how about that. Now we have things like Manley Labs working with UA for a Massive Passive plug in EQ. Though the idea is great, how many plug in EQ's do we really need? I know many that have all the UAD plug ins and Waves to boot. Seems like wasteful spending to some degree. However I am thinking about some good Neve and API plug ins would be nice, but am feeling like would they really make that much difference in a mix.

I have
1. Waves Ren
2. UAD Cambridge,
3. UAD Pultec (pro)
4. Waves SSL
4. Samplitude's EQ.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

About ten I guess. I use the UAD ones the most (specifically the 88RS). Really digging the new PSP EQs though, think I will buy them.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

20 with the liquid mix. Strange poll options. Whad do you choose if you have 23 eq's?
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear
I have nebula 2 (too lazy to count but just for example these's 3 versions of an api 500 eq so I have lots in my hand)+some free and cheap eq's... though I'm gonna get rid of all the free one's once I upgrade my pc so I can use nebula without freezing tracks all the time
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Seriously all I would really need is a Q10 or something like that.
But I do like the Waves Api Eq's color.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Waves SSL (most used)
Massey VT3 (here and there)
URS Neve Parametric (don't use it much anymore)
Digi EQ3 (using it more and more lately)

I'm definatly in the market for another good channel EQ with character that has little to no latency and CPU friendly. Still running a G5 + PTLE over here.

I really wish Massey would come out with a simple, but effective console style EQ to pair up with the CT4 as a "Massey Strip". Something along the lines of the 500 series Purple "Odd" EQ in terms of function would be cool in my book.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

On the mixes I just completed the bulk of my EQ'ing was performed by:

1. custom built 8-channel Sontec EQ (hardware)
2. UAD Neve 1081
3. UAD Precision EQ
4. Waves 550
5. Cubase 4 stock EQ

If all I had was the UAD Precision EQ I would be totally fine. The stock Cubase EQ sounds suprisingly okay by the way.

Brad
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

For transparent, precise EQ or filtering it's Digirack III
For slightly colored, precise EQ or filtering it's RenEQ
For colored, broad EQ it's Waves SSL

If I have something that I want to treat different, I have multiple backups. Colortone Free has cool coloration which is actually EQ. T-racks is cool sometimes. Joe Meek, etc. Comps impart some EQ on whatever you use it on, so knowing that, I pick specific ones with that purpose in mind to save a step later.
Old 3rd February 2009
hmm... I counted the UAD and the Liquid Mix as one each... Love the Liquid Mix compressors and eq's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmen View Post
20 with the liquid mix. Strange poll options. Whad do you choose if you have 23 eq's?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
hmm... I counted the UAD and the Liquid Mix as one each... Love the Liquid Mix compressors and eq's...
UAD is not a plug in, nor is the Liquid Mix. But they offer plug ins heh
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear
As redroom said, we have so many because the actual algorithms are getting better. Designers create newer stuff that sounds better when you A/B it with the older stuff. The art of digitally programming a plugin seems to be continually advancing. I've got LOTS of stuff including all the UAD EQs. But recently I found the SPL Ranger which, although limited to fixed frequencies, sounds better than anything else I've ever heard. If you're looking to buy a new EQ :D, then check this out.
Old 3rd February 2009
I have about ten plug-ins, but that's counting Cubase's built-in plugs. I generally only use Waves SSL channel-strip, UAD Pultec, and UAD cambridge.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting no one has mentioned the Massenberg.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

DIGI EQ 3 and URS S SERIES are pretty much all I use. I havn't had a problem yet with getting what I wanted out of those plugins.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

Uad 88RS most often
Uad Cambridge eq
Uad Helios 69 /sometimes make it miracle
Uad pultec/pultec pro great on piano,and acoustic guitar polishing
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

I have a ton of plugin EQs, I only use a few! They are in order of importance:

1. Tritone Hydratone (covers almost everything-API 550B, Amek 9098, Neve 1081, Focusrite, Avalon, and then some!)

2. UAD Pultec Pro

3. Tritone Angeltone (for mastering only)

4. Cubase

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search