The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tool Vocals
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Tool Vocals

Does anybody know what they used on the Anema to get the megaphoneish effect on maynards voice during certain parts of the album. Is it some kind of effects processor or just some extream eqing?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Filter the top and bottom... compress the daylights outta it... a little delay... a little chamber... easy stuff EXPERIMENT!
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Or... you could just use a megaphone. I do it all the time and it's great.

I bought these little baby monitors that I use too. They are wireless. (Ya now... you put one in the baby's room, and the other in your room so if they start to choke to death you can go save them). I put the receiver in an iso booth with an LDC or ribbon mic on it, and have the singer sing into the other one in a different room. Killer!!
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I worked as the mix assistant on lateralus with david bottrill. He has a small toy megaphone in his bag of tricks...I think he mentioned that this is what they used.
-brian
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

wall of voodoo used 5 real megaphones on their mexican radio song.
for other interesting vocal effects with toys/misc. check out anything mike patton has ever done.

the baby monitor is great especially for cool feedback stuff too. i sampled on and layed it out over my keyboard for some background stuff.

a megaphone with a dirty engange/diengage swtich is cool, because you can get the nice "ckrzcct over xcyayyt" sound. how's that for onomotopeia.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

not to change the subject, but did you guys notice the pitch shifting on maynards voice on the new APC album....i can't remember the name of the song, but it was somethin' like "i can't understand how a man can hate another man" i'm 99.999%sure they used some kinda pitchshifter (but not autotune)....really sounds like slowed tape to me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search