AKG C12 VR

Hi,
AKG C12 VR any good?

Thanks
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Not for the money, IMO.
Nothing like a C12.
There are better options for a C12 type mic than the C12VR.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

I agree, hell of a expensive , bought it about 2 years ago but never see any discussion on them, I use it mainly for vocals and acoust guitars, sounds good.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

i bought a new one a few years ago, for a very good price
i like it very much
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

...you see, that's what I mean. Whenever you hear from anyone who's bought a C12VR, the fact that it was a bargain price always seems to come into the evaluation.

If somebody offered me an AKG Solidtube for £40, I'd probably take it forr the fact it'd be a bargain. I may actually grow to like it a little because of the feel good factor of the price...
Same goes for the C12VR, if you feel you have a bargain, great, but you won't hear many positive reviews from people who paid full price.

Audio equipment has a tendency to find it's own real price based on quality and reputation once it's been out for a while, I think you have probably paid the real audio world price for the C12VR.

Just my 2.
Old 28th June 2005
One with big hooves

I wouldn't spend my money on one...but that's just me. There are too many other mics that sound better on a greater variety of sources making them more versatile for far less money.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have owned a C12VR for about 5 years and use it with a focusite ISA 430=>Manley VariMU=> Rosetta 800. This is a great vocal chain. Against a U87 ( all 5 of mine ) and VR kicks ass. I have also have a Manley Refernce Cardiod. It sounds very close to a manley RC on a female vocal.
The VR is a very under rated mic I would buy a second one if I needed it.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

Is the price the only neg issue here, what would I pay for a original c12?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook
Is the price the only neg issue here, what would I pay for a original c12?
I have seen orginal C12's in he 3-5K USD depending on condition. Plus older C12's can be very problematic. VR's go in the 2.5-3K range.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

Thanks TRS I am happy with my c12vr no problems beautiful sound!
Old 28th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I have owned a C12VR for about 5 years and use it with a focusite ISA 430=>Manley VariMU=> Rosetta 800. This is a great vocal chain. Against a U87 ( all 5 of mine ) and VR kicks ass. I have also have a Manley Refernce Cardiod. It sounds very close to a manley RC on a female vocal.
The VR is a very under rated mic I would buy a second one if I needed it.
What Serial number? I use a low seriel number C12VR sometimes and it's pretty cool. It has the ugly army green rather than the ugly other green.

Now the C12 that's a whole nother animal. I love those things.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I hated my C12VR. Harsh highs. Sold it.
Old 28th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
I hated my C12VR. Harsh highs. Sold it.
Hummm I had the reverse here, sounded like a web blanket was placed over anything in front of the mic.

Not sure but either way I will say this. I hate when gear gets slagged with a bad reputation unless it is deserved. Don't knock Mackie because at it's price point it is not that bad. I don't use anything from them, just sold some 824's so I am not defending Mackie other than to say some of the stuff is usable in the right situation. For instance the 24 channel board makes a great small club board that you don't mind getting beer spilled all over. Mackie for the most part is centered in the low to mid level on gear and they don't mince words about it for the most part (other than the DB8 which at the time it was released as not as bad as people make it out to be).

I do knock the C12VR because at it's price point it should sound a whole lot better than it does. The C12VR was released to the high end market with no punches pulled.

For the price of a Mackie 24 channel board I can't find a whole lot of things that work that much better. There are some that are better but the difference between a Mackie 24 channel and others in the same price point is not as great as the difference between the C12VR and… well.. a bunch of other mics that I would use before it. YMMV and I say the above not to attack anyone who owns one, I just personally don't like the C12VR.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

What about he AKG "THE TUBE"? It looks a lot like the C12. Anyone ever use one?
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Perhaps the not-so-good reputation of the C12-VR has more to do with it having been called a 'C12'. I think anything that's called a 'vintage reissue' should at least evoke a good deal of the character of the original item.

Anyone tried a C12-VR on overheads?
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Check out the C12a........... Great mike for what they're going for these days!
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru

got a good price on one and had stayne at innertube audio do his mod ... sounds huge now ...
Old 30th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I have seen orginal C12's in he 3-5K USD depending on condition. Plus older C12's can be very problematic. VR's go in the 2.5-3K range.

Original C12's for 5K?

Where?

$8K-9K is more like it.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Perhaps the not-so-good reputation of the C12-VR has more to do with it having been called a 'C12'. I think anything that's called a 'vintage reissue' should at least evoke a good deal of the character of the original item.
I agree...
if it was called a C-17 or some other model number... maybe it would have been treated a lot better. But if you make a re-issue... you better do a good job at it.
I got one in to use for a session... put it back in the box 10 minutes later. sure it didnt have the inherant noise of the C-12... but it didnt have the lovely character either. They can keep there VR... i'll keep my $$ for something worthy of the C-12 'legend'
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Original C12's for 5K?

Where?

$8K-9K is more like it.

(I had that thought too. )
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I've never understood them calling it a C12... just nothing like it- The VR does sound big on a driven guitar cab though- esp through a 1093 and 1176.

The one I used for a while was as a replacement for a C800- hahahaaha... it was sent back again on those grounds but if the option was there to keep both I'm sure thats what the owner would have done we got good stuff from both (not on the same sources though!)
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hey,
I have never use one!
BUT

I have heard that the good ones are the OLD ones.

IMHO, I will prefer to earn more $ and buy a Brauner, even if I have to wait for 1 year!

PUPO
Old 6th October 2006
Here for the gear

C12 VR is very good mic

I bought one one year ago and I am very happy with it. It is very good mic. I use it for vocals , acoustic guitars, drum ambience and ... Good for me.
Old 19th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Hi,
AKG C12 VR any good?

Thanks
Yes, I own one. They are great mics. The VR is dark and rich. It sounds magical on soft and thinner voices. The C12VR is unjustly criticize by many people, but apparently Tom Petty, Glen Ballard, Everclear, and countless others love them. I love mine. Just like all mics, the C12VR's are not perfect in all settings and applications. However, it is a top-notch mic. I prefer it before a U87. Also, IMO it sounds better than the new Telefunken (USA) U47's I've heard.
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear

I used a C12VR when I was a relative kid on my voice and acoustic guitar and I loved it.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

I used one the other day in a studio where, weirdly, it was pretty much the only option for vocals (other than a 451!!). I thought it was pretty nice but (as others have said) the highs were pretty harsh. The tops reminded me of modern U87s. Good be good for drum rooms or something???
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great mic.

Is hated around here because of the NAME and then the PRICE.
If AKG would have taken out the "12" in the name & then listed
it for something a little less it would have gotten another type of
reputation.
But it works great on many voices ... and instruments.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post

Anyone tried a C12-VR on overheads?
Awesome on ohs!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's been hard to not find a source that it has performed well on. Beats the crap out of my old 414eb and b-uls mics. Over priced? Yeah. Great mic? You bet.

I got mine for $2,000. Worth every dang penny!
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evhman View Post
Tom Petty, Glen Ballard, Everclear, and countless others love them. .
Let's add Neptunes to the list. I feel once everyone gets over the 'hate' it's going to be in demand. Just like how a U87 is quite not the hot cake right now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search