The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shure 55s look
Old 28th June 2005
Shure 55s look

Is there anything out there being made with that old, Shure 55s look, but a more modern, SM58 type sound? I have not heard a 55s, but I am wanting something for stage use where one would normally use a 58 for vocalist, to complete an old fashioned stage decor. On the flip side, does the 55s sound anything like a 58, such that I could just buy some 55's and use them?

Example shown below...

Thanks,

KT
Old 28th June 2005
member no 666

I know Shure "re released" this mic a few years ago... and the reissues sound pretty much like a 58 [I guess about as much as anything other than a 58 sounds like a 58... ].

I've used them on live vocals many a time with great results... hopefully you'll have similar findings.

Best of luck with it.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

I remember hearing they put a 58 capsule in the re-release.

Another option is to find a shell on e(vil)bay and put what ever you want inside.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

The singer in my band has a re-release one, and it does seem to have a similar sound to a 58...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search