The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
50k to spend...help
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

50k to spend...help

i have 50k to spend on some equipment.
i need equipment for a hiphop/r&b setup.

the studio is gonna be setup around nuendo 3... so what to get? i know a few mics that i wanna choose but i need more than that

look me out yall
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Give me 25k, I help you. heh

I
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

Some good A/D and D/A converters would be a good start. What do you already have?
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
Some good A/D and D/A converters would be a good start. What do you already have?
surely U have an MPC?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Spend less than 1/2 that. Work with your gear. Wait a year. At that point you'll be much better suited to make this decision.
Old 28th June 2005
More cowbell!

Please list what you aready have or plan to get. Do you already have the computer(s)? Also, do you plan to record and mix in the box, using summing, or are you seeking a mixing board solution (analog? digital?). If you are in the box or using a summing box, do you feel you need a controller, or are you happy with a mouse?

Are you wanting to use Plug-ins, software or PCI solutions such as UAD1? Or are you thinking hardware analog? Or some of both? Big cost decisions either way.

Also, are you planning to use a lot of samples/loops? Also, things such as DFHS or BFD? The cost of sample and loop libraries can be a big piece of change.

Always bear in mind that things like mic stands, cable, room treatments, etc., can rapidly eat away a large chunk of budget, and are pretty much necessary no matter what approach you finally choose.

G'Luck!

KT
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

buy one of the remaining studer gold edition 2" machines -
it will last longer than you........
and will outlive another decade or two's in and outs
of digital technology...................
all the while giving you big,
real, huge, 3 dimensional sound.....
high and low frequencies that your ears measure as big........
that are fatigue free on one side and rumbling on the other.........
and still grab the
listener and the artist
every time.... even in 2005....

you'll still have enough to get
a couple of pres and a cheap board
and some mics
and whatever daw you
like to work with

even board free...
6 foot d-sub to xlr between the studer and 192, then in the box, even that
brief involvement - the capturing medium......... gives more than so many
other circuitous routes to good sound

anyway
don't mind me i'm listening
to "here my dear" on vinyl now
and i won't bother anyone......

just an idea
be well

- jack
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

sorry that i was so vague..
the studio is gonna be based around Nuendo 3. i already own my own stuff i'm putting this stuff in my partners new house.

so to start answering your questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
i'm starting fresh. i plan on getting RME Fireface 800 with anything that can tighen it up if need be

Quote:
Originally Posted by µ¿ z3®ø™
surely U have an MPC?
i care less about mpc's.. i might pick up a 4000 but with the mv8000 and our boards(triton studio, fantom x and motif es) we're well covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
Spend less than 1/2 that. Work with your gear. Wait a year. At that point you'll be much better suited to make this decision.
i know my equipment and nuendo. i'm not a noob. i have a decent home studio and get a great sound.. now we're stepping up the equipment
as for the price.. i may not spend that much but i can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
Please list what you aready have or plan to get. Do you already have the computer(s)? Also, do you plan to record and mix in the box, using summing, or are you seeking a mixing board solution (analog? digital?). If you are in the box or using a summing box, do you feel you need a controller, or are you happy with a mouse?

Are you wanting to use Plug-ins, software or PCI solutions such as UAD1? Or are you thinking hardware analog? Or some of both? Big cost decisions either way.

Also, are you planning to use a lot of samples/loops? Also, things such as DFHS or BFD? The cost of sample and loop libraries can be a big piece of change.

Always bear in mind that things like mic stands, cable, room treatments, etc., can rapidly eat away a large chunk of budget, and are pretty much necessary no matter what approach you finally choose.

G'Luck!

KT
to start answering your questions...
what does he have at the moment, not a damn thing. i have equipment but my stuff isn't going to his place besides keyboards...
computers are taken care of, Dual opteron 250 custom built by me :D
i am gonna get a controller for this system. i was gonna wait for the system 5-mc but we'll get that next year. mouse mixing
all plugins and software i own already. the system is gonna have 3 uad-1's and probably a few poco's.
as for samples and loops. myself along with a few huge name producers are taking care of all the instumental production. most of us all have mpc or mv8000 with a choice of what ever keyboard or mod we wanna use plus vsti's and reason.

as for your last statement, this money covers the equipment. acoustics is another thing. my man gary at atlanta pro audio is gonna take care of that for me.

so far i personally want this to start:
MICS:(vocal only)
Se gemini mic (something about it, i really like its sound)
Blue bottle
or just a single Sony C800G....

PRES:
Wunder Audio PEQ1(i love it)
Bae 312A (2ch)

COMPS:
Buzz Audio SOC 1.1
probably distressors too

INTERFACE:(for now unless you all say get something different)
RME Fireface 800

CONTROLLER / MIXER:
Either a 24-32ch mackie control setup or a Tascam dm3200

MONITORS:(i don't know yet)
Tannoy Ellipse, Dynaudio BM15A(maybe air15's), event asp8's..or old school mackies yuck...
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Whatever you buy, make sure it's something that will retain value, if not appreciate too!!! Obviously this doen't pertain to any computer DAW BMW type of purchase!!!

Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheon
i've always been a fan of RME... pretty much the best engineering you can get on PC without going ProTools... i am partial to the RME HDSP9652 however after i looked at the Fireface 800, i think i found a new friend! lol... however i personally use Linux as a hobby and I don't know that it yet has great support for the firewire drivers for things like the 800... my guess is no... so personally... again this is just me... i would be getting the PCI card cuz i like to toy with linux. for a $50k studio though, don't think you can go wrong with a fireface .... in fact, why not get two, or nine of em...

so the last word is: my vote goes for RME
yea i was gonna get 2 rme firefaces for the hell of it.. maybe even with a bigben. the equipment right now with wires and the argosy desk itsn't even $25000 so i can upgrade some things... but what... keep in mind this is a str8 r&b and hiphop home studio.... as for linux i use to use redhat on one of my servers. i deal with linux a lot seeing that my father owns a computer company and works for a huge one...

I'll take a look at the posted link
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker

Best advise ever. See what else you need after you get a few choice things.
Old 29th June 2005
More cowbell!

1. AD/DA - I'd go for the Lynx Aurora + AES16 instead, seriouly.
2. Pres - The pre's sound perfect
3. Mics - I'd trial the soundelux, microtech-gefell, and korby mics too.
4. Monitors - I like the Dynaudio BM15a'S from your list
5. Controller - I'd go with the mackie control, but don't see you needing more than the master unit at first.
6. Comps - sounds good, may wanna also check out the Trakker as an alternative to the SOC. Nathan could probly chime in on the differences.

sounds like fun, enjoy

Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
1. AD/DA - I'd go for the Lynx Aurora + AES16 instead, seriouly.
2. Pres - The pre's sound perfect
3. Mics - I'd trial the soundelux, microtech-gefell, and korby mics too.
4. Monitors - I like the Dynaudio BM15a'S from your list
5. Controller - I'd go with the mackie control, but don't see you needing more than the master unit at first.
6. Comps - sounds good, may wanna also check out the Trakker as an alternative to the SOC. Nathan could probly chime in on the differences.

sounds like fun, enjoy

i'll take a look at those ad/da's
mic wise, i really like the custom korby with the c800 capsule...
the dynaudio are number 1 on my list right now
i need more than the master unit with 8 faders.. . just did a smooth r&b joint last night that ended up with 38ch of vocals alown... i don't really wanna keep pushing different banks... trully i think i might choose the dm3200 over the mackie b/c the mackie overall is gonna cost more and i need to get some of this money to add to my personal studio too...the dm3200 also has plugin control... i don't really wanna add this and add that to the mackie but its still a choice... they just want me to build the studio for me to be comfortable
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Apogee AD 16 DA 16
Lot´s of tubes I believe...
Manley Massive Passive, I´ve heard they use it a lot on this type of music.

GL
PUPO
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

I forgot..

Eventide EFX´s!
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

Back when i was contimplating what sound card to go with a little birdy told me to go check out what Lynx Technologies had to offer. I was going either RME or Lynx. Glad i went lynx, the sound quality is insane but the options for expansion are somwhat limiting. The a/d converters on this card have quite a reputation, apogee is a common comparison. happy shopping.

cool as,
bloodz
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

entheon the motu 192hd system does sound awesome, sounds better than than the digidesign 192i/o
with out a doubt i'm getting the c800g first. i can get it at a great discount... under$5500
so for now that will be the main mic... backing that up will be a peluso 22 47(limited) and the 22 251. those mics will probably get used more for our r&b artist

as for ad16/da16's.. i've heard they're decent but not apogee's best doing... how do you all feel about this?
right about now i feel like 2 firefaces and a bigben will do great
Old 30th June 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
yea i was gonna get 2 rme firefaces for the hell of it...
Well you'd kind of be screwing yourself for the hell of it... Natpub gave you some very sage advice [well maybe not about the DynAudio's but that's a matter of taste]... IMNTLBFHO, you'd do well to follow up on the Lynx suggestion... but I'm a pimp so whadda I know.
Old 1st July 2005
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
i need more than the master unit with 8 faders.. . just did a smooth r&b joint last night that ended up with 38ch of vocals alown... i don't really wanna keep pushing different banks... trully i think i might choose the dm3200 over the mackie b/c the mackie overall is gonna cost more and i need to get some of this money to add to my personal studio too...the dm3200 also has plugin control... i don't really wanna add this and add that to the mackie but its still a choice... they just want me to build the studio for me to be comfortable

One of the Slutz around here (I forget his handle) has some really convincing advice in his comparrison between that Tascam versus the Mackie (+extenders if ya need---check out the used Ebay prices, excellent deals). I forget the gist of it, but I went to Banjo Mart and messed with both units, ended up totally agreeing with the dude. Do a search on Mackie Control or the Tascam, you may find the discussions I am thinking of.

also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
... Natpub gave you some very sage advice [well maybe not about the DynAudio's but that's a matter of taste]...

Well, perhaps a better way to put it is compare the Dyns to the Adam P33A's, which are kinda price comparable, and IIRC, the P33A's are basically identical to their bigger brother S3A's but with a tad cheaper, less resiliant tweeter. Some weird PIMP on here explained it all once, but I forget who HE was! May wanna do a search, heh.

G'Luck in yer kwest!
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

i searched around but i never found anything on the mackie control vs the dm3200.. i did find the mackie vs the fw1884, us2400, and dm24...
Old 2nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Having just moved from RME to Apogee (AD/DA16x), I would say AVOID RME! The difference is not subtle, especially if you're going to be summing in analogue. The depth, stereo image and clarity of the top-end are the most noteable differences.

On the other hand, if anyone wants 3x ADI-8 Pros, then private message me. They will be for sale soon...

I've not heard the Lynx stuff, but of course it will be better than RME. I think the technical specs of RME gear are great, but the sound doesn't compare with true high-end gear. I'm sure buying a big ben clock for the fireface would help, though.

In terms of spending the 50k, I would personally get a few great mics and preamps, such as much of the stuff Fletcher sells at mercenaryaudio.com. I agree that it might be best not to spend the 50k straight away, but you can't go wrong buying a drawmer 1968 (despite being used for mixbus mainly, it makes a very smooth comp for tracking), distressor or 2, Neve 1073 style preamp etc.

I am not a fan of mixing with the mouse, but I just sold a complete mackie control setup because I never used it. That said, it might be useful to have 8 faders, but I don't think most people really need 24 these days. I'd try and make do without it for a while if you can. Why not get a small desk like the Midas? You could then use that for summing too.

I hope some of that is of use. But please try the apogees (or other better converters) before committing to the RMEs!
Old 2nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Oh, and I agree with Fletcher about the dynaudios. Personally not a massive fan, but the ADAMs....
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

i like the dynaudio's.. i've mixed on them and my mixes traslated very well... same with the asp8's.. i've modeled adam's but i've never mixed on them. one monitor i was impressed with yesterday was the new Genelec 8050A's.. those monitors are trully almost 100% flat. they're 3800 for a pair i can get up for 3500...at the moment they're the number 1 choice for my main near fields, i wouldn't mind having a pair of v4 around either.

once i get back to atlanta i'll see if my guys can setup some adams with the 8050 for me to model...

as for the fireface.. i heard great things as of late thats why i choose it with a bigben clock.. but if the ad/da16's are that good i'll choose them.. its about $7000 but hey if its that big of a difference wth... my only questions about apogee ad/da16... is it just a set of converters or is it also an interface? never having true HIGHEND converters i'm not sure. i just wanna get the best sound i can get using nuendo 3 and sometimes samp8...pt sometimes just to transfer sessions if need be
as for the money i don't plan on actually spending all 50k... seeing that we're focusing on 2 styles of music i don't think we really need a lot. seeing that the c800 is a great mic i'd add a colored mic or a mic that has some character to it along with some good pres.. wunder,api,universal audio 4110 etc...

as for 8 faders, i need more. i'm gonna be doing ITB within nuendo 3 with 3 uad-1's and a poco along with my waves,urs,triton digital etc plugins...
i was forced to use a command 8 and i hated it. i want at least 16.. thats why i choose the dm3200..plus it already has plugin control.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

you know what i think i'ma just get the mackie setup.. probably 16-24 faders with the C4 plugin expansion too...i like the way argosy has the tascam fw1884 setup in thir desk. thats the look i've going for.. it looks awesome but i'm sure the 1884 doesn't sound better than the fireface800 let alown come close to the apogees...so i guess it'll be the mackie setup unitl summer next year for the system 5-mc
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

hey sluts.. i was just doing my research.. i con't tell if i really need both the ad16 and the da16.. however.. i looked at the roseta 800... seems to be prefect for me with the X-FireWire Card. but,,, i wanted more than 8 ins.. 8 outs isn't a problem.. can i add the ad16 to the rosetta 800 and have 24 total ins?
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Sounds like your needs are different when it comes to control, so go for it!

The rosetta 800 is apparently sounds nearly as good as the 16x series, but doesn't have the C777 clocking. I've not used this model. The word from Apogee is that if you add the big ben, then the sound should be *very* close. I'm sure even without the big ben it will sound better than the RME by quite some way!

A good converter is a solid investment for years IMO. When cutting stuff to vinyl the mastering engineer we use has a prism converter (don't know the model) which must be at least 7 years old and still sounds great to my ears.

I'm starting to get annoyed with how some of my CD players sound now though, having heard what a difference good a good DA makes!
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

ok, i'll be getting the rosetta 800 with a big ben on thursday.
any other clocks out there better than the bigben that i should look at b4 getting the bigben someone mentioned to me that the Universal audio one was really good..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search