The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
where to find dance & pop snares
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Head

where to find dance & pop snares

I have many drum samples (Dance Mega Drums and Trilogy for example), but have great trouble in finding powerful kick/snare combination heard on so many pop/dance/R&B songs. Mine simply don't sound attractive or round as a whole.

I tried every possible combination, mixing several snares & claps, comping them, but it is still far from those great results found on hits, for example Britney, BSB and N'Sync hits in late 90's.

Is there a catch, or do some producers have special sample collection (unobtainable for public purchase).
Old 27th June 2005
Motown legend

I know a bunch of people who simply made their own snare drum samples. Mixing a home-made sample with the infamous Lynn snare sample beats every commercial sample I've heard.
Old 27th June 2005
lwr
Gear Addict

try lots of compression aswell!
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have a library of sounds that I know work with little or no proccessing. Most are sampled from mixes I've done. I keep it down to 61 samples (a keyboards worth) and I think of it as my hit parade of drum hits.

It's constantly updated, but I've been doing this for around 15 years and there's still a few left from the very first "top61" version I did back in '89.

Now, I'm usually up for giving away anything that would help others make music, but this library is the exception. It's really personal and to be honest if you had it you're drum tracks could sound a bit like mine, possibly people would notice and critisize you for that.

Possibly, you'd think my library sucks !

Incidentally, in my time as an engineer, I've had access to other producers libraries and for a moment, I really nearly saved a copy and pinched them.
But then my pride in my abilities kicked in and I knew that if i did that, I'd owe a lot of my sound to them and that, i know, would tarnish the pride I feel when I listen to my own work.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Try this:

http://www.modernbeats.com/free_sounds.php thumbsup

Also, grab kicks & snares off of CD's. Try track 6 on The Game "The Documentary" for a kick & clap right at the beginning.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search