The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 002 and outboard gear
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Digi 002 and outboard gear

I'm mixing a project on a Digi 002 at a studio Wednesday that has some nice outboard eq's(api) and comps(summit) Should I tinker with the obg? Or stay in the box? If I simply use the EQs as an insert i will be dealing with latency issues correct?
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
If I simply use the EQs as an insert i will be dealing with latency issues correct?
Yes you will, though...just keep the buffer size small ex.128, and you should be able to monitor without much distraction. Once you are satisfied and done with the tweaking of the sound, print it and slide it forward the amount of samples that was delayed. Hope it helps.........Joaquin.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

If you're using the converters in the 002, make sure the benefit of the outboard vs. inboard is enough to warrant the extra digital to analog and analog back to digital conversions.

I don't use the converters in my 002, and they do get a bit of 'bad press' around here, but they're totally workable. Not really the smoothest nor the most musical, but totally workable.

The difference between good outboard (the gear you mention certainly comes under that category) and plugins is pretty immense, in my opinion.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Here's a question I've had (now that we're talking about it)

Does PT/002Rack compensate for the latency between the various inputs like, native A/Ds, SPDIF and ADAT. So if youre recording 18 inputs at once, will they all be aligned?

Same question for the outputs...are they compensated?

I'm doing things outboard/ITB and I'm noticing a delay on percussion when i send and return to an external device. I just want to make sure that when i finally get the 8 A/D/A and a console, I won't have my ADAT stuff coming out before the native D/As and the SPDIF.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Cool thanks guys..yea it may be worth the time to go through the print process if we are talking the diff between api 560's and 550's as opposed to digi rack eq's. Although I hear the digirack eq is pretty good.

thumbsup
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I meant the new digi rack eq is supposed to be ok.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb
Here's a question I've had (now that we're talking about it)

Does PT/002Rack compensate for the latency between the various inputs like, native A/Ds, SPDIF and ADAT. So if youre recording 18 inputs at once, will they all be aligned?.
Men...That's a great question!!? I just do not know the answer, and as far as I know, there's no mention of it in the reference manual...
I already recorded a bunch of music using both inputs...ADAT and Line...never had a problem and to tell you the true, I think that, acording to the distances, there's a diferent arrival time for each mic, and each instrument has it's own timing...I just find it pretty hard to test...with a splitter!? actually., I have an ISA428 wich give me simultaneus output, ADAT and analog...I'll do the experiment and see how far apart the waves are. Any way is very valid question and would be a major issue for what I had contemplated as a very reliable traking system!!
I'll post back...maybe someone else knows the answer!?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I am scared to even know the results of that test.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

My dear friends...27 samples later than the line input!!....just one more workaround for my LE system
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Thats not bad at all, I was expecting worse.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Better late than never, I suppose.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
My dear friends...27 samples later than the line input!!....just one more workaround for my LE system
Couldn't this just as easily be a latency issue at the ISA's A/D as opposed to a discepency between the 002's Analog and ADAT inputs? Seems like it would be impossible to automatically compensate for another devices unknown latency if that's the case.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

wow for now I'm gonna pretend I didn't here this.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Aw crap I can't bury my head in the sand!
Hey Jaoquin, what did you use as the source to get into the lightpipe inputs of the 002?
I'm going to do a test too and see what I find. Dod I guess you can't take anything for granted these days. This is could cause a hammer to fall upon my 002.

Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by egan
Couldn't this just as easily be a latency issue at the ISA's A/D as opposed to a discepency between the 002's Analog and ADAT inputs? Seems like it would be impossible to automatically compensate for another devices unknown latency if that's the case.
Yhea I think so. I believe that this latency is going to exist regardless of the system you are recording to...LE or HD, for is only "Input" and the conversion is being made exteriorly...not much to compensate for!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrtm
Hey Jaoquin, what did you use as the source to get into the lightpipe inputs of the 002?
As stated, I used a Focusrite ISA428 as the master clock (another issue??!!) recording at 48KHz 24bit.
I'm not going to think too much about this stuff. Probably, next time I record more than 8Trks, I'm going to nudge the ADAT Trks, by the re-mesured amount of samples, and hear if there's any Improvement...I doubt it though, for I'd have all my Phase already check acounting for any posible latency!?...I guess we can spend some time thinking about this stuff
Cheers.......................Joaquin.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey Joaquin...

thanks for doing this test... i don't think 27 samples is TOOO bad.. but maybe a little sliding is in order.

I guess the audio is going to come out at a different time as well.... Could be difficult to test..

bb
Old 28th June 2005

just remember a 1 sample disparity is enough to cause comb-filtering

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search