The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a decent pair of studio monitors
Old 27th June 2005
Here for the gear

Need a decent pair of studio monitors

I am trying to find a good pair of studio monitors to use for a at home recording setup. I am pretty much torn between KRK V series and maybe mackie HR series. Any suggestions?
If I go with KRK then does this look like my best deal?

http://www.jbsound.com/proddetail.ph...pr-e609&cat=35
Old 27th June 2005
Jai guru deva om

I use HR824's next to a pair of KRK V4's every day. If you go V Series, go with the KRK V6...unless you need loud as hell and some additional low end then go V8.

I find the V6 to be a nicely balanced speaker. The Mackie HR824 do exhibit a rather flat response on down to 37hZ and my mixes translate very well with them. Lots of studios use the Mackies too.

I use the V4's to tell me what kind of low end problems I might be facing during mixdown. The Mackies allow so much low end through without problems that they won't tell me what a boombox or car speaker might do! So the V4's are my real world reference representing the typical 4" woofer.

The V6 are a much different animal and are fine for nearfield reference.

Monitor selection is a very personal decision, you should try and hear both of these pairs if possible.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search