21 Votes - 12.14%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2005
Here for the gear

re: SM57's... 'Who used one the last time they made a recording.'

well?
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear
I'll admit that once in a great while I'll have an assistant stick one up as, say, a talkback mic or such...
but to actually CHOOSE one for an instrument?

never
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I still use a 57 for most of my snares, usually paired up with a 441 or something. Even on guitar cabs i'll pair a 57 with a 121.

The most recent use of 57's for me was in a strings session; the producer wanted em to sound like Eleanor Rigby

Dante
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut
sm57´s are great for many app´s. for the price (and even if they were more expensive) they are great to have.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut
oh.. i forgot to mention that i´ve been recording with them nearly every day for months. excellent results in context.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I probably use them at least once on every song I do.

Either snare, toms or electric guitar and every once in a while on vocals for the hell of it.

I love my Royer 121 on guitar cabs but theres something about a correctly placed 57 that just seems to sound like an electric guitar is supposed to sound. It picks up all the right stuff and leaves out the rest and sometimes sounds surprisingly natural like the cab really sounds in the room to me.
Old 27th June 2005
Jai guru deva om

I'm a 57 on snare guy, and it typically never ever touches anything else. Lately on some of my own recordings I'm diggin' a 57 on kick, but with an Earthworks Kickpad.

War
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

I can't really vote because I don't fall into one extreme category or the other.

I do like them on guitar cabinets and snare, though I sure don't have a killer mic arsenal to choose from.

Personally however, I seem to always favor the older Unidyne III models (especially my 545sd) over the new SM57.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I like to sing into one, especially when I want to track without cans. I have to re-think my settings when I use one, but I've been liking them more and more lately on my own vox.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
I probably use them at least once on every song I do.

Either snare, toms or electric guitar and every once in a while on vocals for the hell of it.

I love my Royer 121 on guitar cabs but theres something about a correctly placed 57 that just seems to sound like an electric guitar is supposed to sound. It picks up all the right stuff and leaves out the rest and sometimes sounds surprisingly natural like the cab really sounds in the room to me.
Yep.
I don't talk bad about the 57, or Rode mic's either for that matter.
It always seems like such a typical snobby engineer thing to do.
The 121 and 57 together are a great combo on elec guitars.
I also still like them on snare after all these years.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Every time I record an electric guit I use a SM-57 OR Sennheiser 421, Roger 121,
U-87(Room).

At the end, I always mute the SM-57 or slightly mix up with the 121...

PUPO
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

Always on Snare and Guitar.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

can their be a 3rd category ... "seldom, but never say never" ?
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have an old "Unidyne" Shure SM57, I prefer these to the made in asia modern SM57's
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I used one the last time I tracked electric guitar. If you're in a hurry it never hurts to throw a 57 up, get the placement right, and start recording (of course you have to have the guitars and amps in the "zone").
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

On each and every of my sessions I have SM 57's on snare and guitar cabs, often on Toms (except for the floor tom) and every now and then on other stuff as well...I am definitely an SM 57 guy and have yet to find a mic that is better on a guitar cab or snare drum...

Best,
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

My 57s (and 58s) get used for band rehearsal (the guys in my band aren't smart enough to use the 421 clip). Every once in a while I'll lend them out to good clients if they're doing an all ages show and need to bring a PA. The last time I did that the drummer biffed one of them and the band gave me the money to send it to Shure. That was months ago and I haven’t done it. I just don't really care. I need to plug in the broken one to see if its now my lo-fi gem

Every once in a while I record an overdub with a 57, or at least listen to it. It’s been a few years since a 57 has made it onto one of my recordings.
Old 27th June 2005
gko
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
a talkback mic or such...
yep, crushed with a behringer compressor for when the band stops talking and starts rawking.
gr Gertjan
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

usaully on snare with occasionally a km 84 as well, blended in to taste.
and maybe even another 57/84 on the bottom for a tiny bit of added sizzle.
occasionally on amps.once in a blue moon, on certian singers a handheld 57 does it,[live w/ Pa tracking- good rejection, singer keeps live vibe]
Depends on the session.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I started out with the 'standard' 57 use, snare and git cabs.
These days, in most cases snare will be a Beyer M201 and guitar amps (4x10 cab mostly but just discovered it for small Fenders too) will be a single Beyer M160.

My big discovery was the 57 on acoustic guitar. It may not always work as well as it did for the current project I did, but the 57 on a great Takamine played by a very precise rhythm player was just outstanding. I got a good sounding room but the great thing about the 57 is that I can position it in a way that never would work on a lot of other mics: Pretty much directly pointed at the strumming hand of the player. Add a bit of 10k from a Pultec-ish EQ or plug-in and it's a sound that works great in a band setting. The 57 seems to 'magically' focus on the useful part of the sound (strum, sparkle, tight body) and keep out the waste (boom, finger noise, room 'swirl')

57 on acoustic was an 'accidental' discovery a while ago. when I very quickly laid down some song ideas with the first chain in sight (57 thru UA 2108) it really did sound good.

My Gibson LG-2 on the other hand really loves the SM7, it all depends on teh instrument. The LG-2 has such an amazing hi-end that makes a SM7 actually sounds pretty Hi-Fi, although in a useful, organic way.

I also favour the 57 on guitar rooms, Fletcher mentioned it somewhere and sure enough, it's great for anything Keef-ish.

Never recorded a voice that worked with a 57 so far but I'm sure that's bound to change, I do mostly Americana-type stuff and less rock.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
but to actually CHOOSE one for an instrument?never
Daniel Lanois? Tom Petty? Frank Sinatra? (at least Bob Ohlson mentioned that somewhere here)

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Just yesterday...a 57 was was used here for a guitar track, a vocal track, and a voiceover mic for a radio commercial....

Today's tracking will likely include at least one as well...
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Good results last week with 57 on a Piano

I had 414; U87, U47, Royer121; among others.. but Sm57 was the best sound we found. I guess it was due acoustics....ther was no acoustic treatment at all.

Beside that i use this mic on snares and gtrs as well..

M.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm suprised no one here used the term "studio workhorse" lol

remeber that one boys???

I own (2)57's; one stays on a small boom that's used for the snare, and the other has a broadcaster windscreen permanatly attached, this is my choice for vocals in the control room, oh yeah!!!
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

57s on toms and electric guitars.

I always find myself using a 57 on vocals too.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock
definitely an SM 57 guy and have yet to find a mic that is better on a guitar cab
you should try the R92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
I have an old "Unidyne" Shure SM57, I prefer these to the made in asia modern SM57's
I also have 2 of the Unidyne III 57s and they're better for sure, could make a whole record with them if that was the only mic available.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll admit that once in a great while I'll have an assistant stick one up as, say, a talkback mic or such...
but to actually CHOOSE one for an instrument?

never
So I guess all the great recordings that have a 57 are now null and void? dfegad on anyone who thinks a 57 is unusable. That is gear-snobbery to highest level. If you can't make a 57 sound good on a guitar cab, that is due to the engineer's inefficiency, not the mic.
Old 27th June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
So I guess all the great recordings that have a 57 are now null and void? dfegad on anyone who thinks a 57 is unusable. That is gear-snobbery to highest level. If you can't make a 57 sound good on a guitar cab, that is due to the engineer's inefficiency, not the mic.
or it could just be that he doesnt dig the sound...
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Great for snare. Great for guitar amp.

Haven't used one in a while because I have not been recording rock stuff, but I have 3 of them.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
or it could just be that he doesnt dig the sound...
Not digging and unusable are different. My response was to Mr. Whitman's post, but not directed at him per sa, but to anyone who says a 57 is unworkable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search