152 Votes - 87.86%
Swear at it
21 Votes - 12.14%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
If you can't make a 57 sound good on a guitar cab, that is due to the engineer's inefficiency, not the mic.
Truth.

But, I don't really like the tone of an SM57 on it's own for guitars. I might combine it with something else like but as of late I've been trying to avoid the "crutch" of the SM57 and discover other mics.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
or it could just be that he doesnt dig the sound...
Well that seems obvious but I also interpreted the post as being a bit snobby.
On the other hand while tap water might be fine for my assistant I will only drink spring water from private lakes found in exclusive mountain tops and stored specifically in vintage oak kegs manufactured prior to 1982.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Inexpensive and highly accessible.
I have no problem with the 57 on guitar cabs.
While I'm always looking for the perfect snare mic (depending on snare, player, song and genre) the 57 is a reliable and viable choice.

No reason to swear at it. Just use a different mic.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Since my '57 'concept' recordings, I have tried to go back to my 'budget' condensers (414s, solidtube etc), but they simply do not compete on any terms except visually - they look nice, but they really sound very ****ty in comparison.

I'd rather have the presence/image than the hyped hf 'extension'.

Last recording I did......rock.......'57 for everything except kick (didn't have enough '57s to put one in the kick ;-).

I second that comment that the '57 seems to concentrate on all the 'musical' aspects of the source, and really really rejects the room a helluva lot!

Also, for reverb/ambience mics, not surprisingly, it really really rejects the source too, if you point it away!

And for my next trick, using the '57 stereo overheads, I will attempt to allign the two mics perfectly by rotating the heads of one until it exactly matches the other in orientation - or until it sounds better!
......It might work - if you consider the 'holey-disk' that covers the membrane.....

...And, why is it that (modern) neumann-wielding studio owners are amazed how much (more) detail this mic has (for vocals, guitar, piano, drums etc) when I visit them?

;-)

Andy

PS. I suspect that if you took all the great mics of history and instead of comparing the frequency response, you compared the phase response, I think the '57 would be up there with the best of them......
Old 27th June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman
Well that seems obvious but I also interpreted the post as being a bit snobby.
On the other hand while tap water might be fine for my assistant I will only drink spring water from private lakes found in exclusive mountain tops and stored specifically in vintage oak kegs manufactured prior to 1982.
I would say 'opinionated' - which is ok by me...if he knows what it takes to get the sound he needs to get, thats all good. I personally use 57s all the time, but what do I know heh

I personally find them as useful as having say my pair of r-122s or some decent working c12s around so, the tap/spring water analogy dont really work for me either, as I think after a certain while, the actual cost of the mics doesn't really come into the picture re: whether you use them or not...
Old 27th June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Not digging and unusable are different. My response was to Mr. Whitman's post, but not directed at him per sa, but to anyone who says a 57 is unworkable.
I think he used the word 'choose' which to me denotes a preference. Almost any mic is usable in some context.

apart from U87s....
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

me

I prefer Beta57s and Beta57As.

Congas, bongos thru a Sebatron VMP200)VU miked with a pair of Beta57s provide me a rich sound.
Sometimes I also use them miking GTR/Bass cabinets.
Old 27th June 2005
Motown legend

I learned years ago that it's always a good idea to at least try a 57. Cheapo and off-brand condensers have been around forever but few have ever measured up to comparably priced dynamic mikes.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
I would say 'opinionated' -
Well if by opinionated you mean "conceited regarding the merit of one's own opinion"...I can't argue.

Quote:
the tap/spring water analogy dont really work for me either, as I think after a certain while, the actual cost of the mics doesn't really come into the picture re: whether you use them or not...
Wasn't an analogy and had nothing to do with cost but more of my general tongue-in-cheek view of elitism.
Old 27th June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman
Well if by opinionated you mean "conceited regarding the merit of one's own opinion"...I can't argue.
I think you know what I meant heh

Quote:
Wasn't an analogy and had nothing to do with cost but more of my general tongue-in-cheek view of elitism.
hows not liking a 57(tap water) elitist if it isnt to do with the cost of the thing?? While I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek by making these posts at all, I think its a good point to be made that strong opinions on gear makes the AE world a more interesting place
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
I learned years ago that it's always a good idea to at least try a 57. Cheapo and off-brand condensers have been around forever but few have ever measured up to comparably priced dynamic mikes.

Kowa-bingo!

If Shure knew what was good for them, they'd BUY the above quote and work it!
Old 27th June 2005

How is a 57 tap water anyway?

It may appear humble because it sounds like ass on a lot of things... but if I had to close-mic Thor's thunderbolts - I'd do it with a 57.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
hows not liking a 57(tap water) elitist if it isnt to do with the cost of the thing?? While I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek by making these posts at all, I think its a good point to be made that strong opinions on gear makes the AE world a more interesting place
Read his post. Read my post. Remember, I prefaced "My interpretation" although it appears I'm not alone in this thinking.
I think you know what I meant.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

used mine today on my fender twin, into amek cib. sounded great.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa
I prefer Beta57s and Beta57As.

Congas, bongos thru a Sebatron VMP200)VU miked with a pair of Beta57s provide me a rich sound.
Sometimes I also use them miking GTR/Bass cabinets.
I kind of like 'em on congas and bongos too. I think the roll-off in the highs is quite useful in this application.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Cage
How is a 57 tap water anyway?

It may appear humble because it sounds like ass on a lot of things... but if I had to close-mic Thor's thunderbolts - I'd do it with a 57.
Oy! I was defending the 57.
I own 5 of them.
Have used them on guitar amps, snare (top and bottom), congas, and sometimes toms but usually a 421 or SM7 on the floor tom.
No thunder bolts yet.
Old 28th June 2005
It wasn't literally true, because the last few tracks I've done were vocals (not that I haven't used one or both of my trusty '57's on vocals before).

But, when I mic my amp or record percussive steel string acoustic guitar parts (chunky or percussive rhythm parts, iow), the '57 is my first choice.

(That said, I think I might start doing some ambient mic'ing with one of my condensors on amp recordings. I want to match the fairly live sound I've taken to drilling in on BFD.)
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Usually have one in use on the drum kit... like it on snare when the m201 isn't happening for the drum. Love it on toms. Don't like it alone on elec gtr (kinda fizzy?) but IMO can sometimes sound good mixed with r121.
Old 28th June 2005
Harmless Wacko

Greatest all purpose dynamic microphone ever.

Hands down.

The God.

All other shall perish in a flaming lake of fire.

Or....

You could tire of them and just hang something else......

HOHOHO.

Best regards,

Slippy
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

57's are a must for me.....snare and guitars. On hardcore, I have the tendency to give the singer a handheld to roam around the tracking room so he feels like it is the stage. (Sometimes I duct a 421 and 57 together and smash the hell out of one of them...sounds very agressive!)
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

not a bad live vocal mic either.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_simpson
Last recording I did......rock.......'57 for everything except kick (didn't have enough '57s to put one in the kick ;-).

After a conversation I had with Loudist in the chat one day I`ve been dying to try something like this out.

One kind of dynamic mic through one kind of pre for the whole song.

Seems like it could gel a tune together in a really nice way and it`s completely opposite the popular idea that you need 15 different mics and pres each targeted to a specific instrument to make a ****ing recording.

I was thinking my new favorite dynamic the 441 would be the ideal candidate but buying 5-6 more 57`s (I got 2 -3 allready) to pick up a whole band would be a lot cheaper than 441`s for $300 or so on ebay.

All I`d need than is 8 or so of the same preamp which will be much, much, much more expensive even to get up to 57 quality.

I think the reason I feel the need to throw a 57 in every tune is the fact that it`s the ultimate average joe lunchpail mic yet you can get really kick ass results with it if you try hard enough. It`s everybodys first halfway decent mic they buy and it turns out it`s as usable as you thought it was when you were first hooking it up to your Porta 2.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear
Hey, I didn't say that others couldn't or shouldn't love them.

I said *I* never choose them for anything.
Wasn't that the QUESTION?

ps, I drink Fiji water too.
Old 28th June 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman
Greatest all purpose dynamic microphone ever.

Hands down.

The God.

All other shall perish in a flaming lake of fire.

Yeah yeah...spare me your fire & brimstone doom...

Whuddabout the 421?

Specifically, the 421-U5 which gets my vote as "greatest dynamic microphone of doom...ever".
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
I said *I* never choose them for anything.
Wasn't that the QUESTION?
Actually the question is: re:
SM57's... 'Who used one the last time they made a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
ps, I drink Fiji water too.
LOL! I knew that!

Hey! it's all good. ..and I agree...the 57 does make for a convenient talk back as well.
Most artists can only hope to achieve the longevity in their careers as this little mic has succeeded to do in it's history.
Old 28th June 2005
pgk
Gear Nut

i'm seriously thinking about using nothing but 57's for my next record, as a statement of sorts. enough of all this 57 bashing. tastes and opinions gleaned from hard earned experience (and not armchair snobbery) are one thing, but to say you can't get real results with a 57 is simply ridiculous! andy kaulkin's "six foot seven and rising" is one of my favorite records of late and it's 90% 57's and an old 80's tascam board. yep. my friend produced and engineered it. and oh yeah, he's an absolutely incredible engineer. i don't think just anybody could do something like that, it takes someone with a very special set of ears and knowledge. it is a damn great sounding record, i kid you not. hey, that's what they had to work with and they got GREAT results. i have no doubt that if i played it for most of the gear heads here they would simply not believe it was all 57's.

'tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools......
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgk
'tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools......
Not to play Devil's Advocate, but I wouldn't want a surgeon operating on me with a butter knife.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

WOW. People definitely get heated over this mic (Me included ). My point is: the 57 is a great multi purpose, tried and tested mic. I can use it and get good results on a lot of things... in fact, many of us have. If you can't, don't blame the mic. That was the message I was trying to convey... But anyway... back to the subject:

"Who used one the last time they made a recording?"

I am recording guitars today. The 57 is up. backed by a M160. It will be butter as always.

P.S. Fiji water? Mr Whitman, do you always go for the slighty obscure? That is the KM84 of water! Just enough of available to be around, but just different enough....
Old 28th June 2005
Han
Lives for gear

I'm very happy with my 57, really.

It's a perfect talkback mic, bands can hear every word I say to them, works like a charm.

Oh, I've tried them on almost everything, it's a great snare mic, but the hats sound like ****, an M201 sounds even better and the hats sound decent in the 201.

I've tried them on guitar cabs, but always the MD421, M201 or M88 sounded better.

I've tried them on banjo, acoustic guitar, saxophone and percussion, but always the MD441 was so much better and the bleed into a 441 sounds really good you know.

So I've tried them on vocals, but there was always a cheap LDC that sounded so much better too, compared to an MXL V77 or V69 LDC the 57 sounds like a shoebox.

So I finally found an application where the 57 really shines, on the meter bridge of the board, it's a small mic, you can hardly see it there.

Old 28th June 2005
I use at least one on every session sometines namy. A Shure SM 57 IS the Sound of Rock and Roll...No Way around it! 90% of the time I use them on Snare and 70% on elec. gtr. I'm usually a one mic per source guy as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
My 57s (and 58s) get used for band rehearsal (the guys in my band aren't smart enough to use the 421 clip). Every once in a while I'll lend them out to good clients if they're doing an all ages show and need to bring a PA. The last time I did that the drummer biffed one of them and the band gave me the money to send it to Shure. That was months ago and I haven’t done it. I just don't really care. I need to plug in the broken one to see if its now my lo-fi gem

Every once in a while I record an overdub with a 57, or at least listen to it. It’s been a few years since a 57 has made it onto one of my recordings.
Agreed on the 421 clip!! I actually have 2 Sets of 58s 1 for me to use and another to rent, lend and do lite live sound with. The pristeen set only goes up in the studio.

Having said that I A/B the prissy set with the grodie set and there is hardly a difference!

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search