The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
To PAD, or not to PAD!!! That's not the question
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

To PAD, or not to PAD!!! That's not the question

Is it just me, or is there and anti-pad contingency going on this message board, no all over the world???
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

API + drumkits here. Pads ok!
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

well, you have your light days and your heavy days. Light days, I usually use no pad, heavy days...on kick and snare sometimes
Old 27th June 2005
I've never bought anything from them, but a buddy bought a used SSL 6k from them a few years ago and it arrived as new - incredible refurb. Makes me think they know what they are doing...
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

hmmn, pad as in -20db
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
API + drumkits here. Pads ok!

IMO, when API´s are padded they sound different, I don´t like them. I don´t know, it´s maybe me...

I am trying to find a thread where they talk about some trims that work perfect on the output of API´s. I wonder where this thread is!

One thing for sure, better to pad a PRE rather than the MIC!

PUPO
Old 27th June 2005
Hehe, can you tell I'm a mastering engineer?
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

heh

Nice one Brad.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

One important thing about any pad design is that it must present proper source impedances both to the mic and to the input of the preamp.

Typically that means the pad needs to present maybe a 1500 Ohm load for the mic and 150 Ohms towards the mic preamp, especially if the pre uses an input transformer.

Bri
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm with max and the pad being just fine on drums with the API's
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I just picked up a couple of the Shure in-line pads. I especially need on my Yamaha Subkick (woofer outside of kick drum). This thing is so hot, I can't even move the gain knob on my APIs without overloading the pre. I would love to get the API cranking a bit and breaking a bit of a sweat here...we'll see how they sound I guess...
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've never bought anything from them, but a buddy bought a used SSL 6k from them a few years ago and it arrived as new - incredible refurb. Makes me think they know what they are doing...
Well, I first thought he meant Boston's PAD as well heh heh ...

Can tell you first hand that the console we bought from them was in top shape. It was basically brand new, but nevertheless in great condition.
It took a while to get the console delivered, but once we passed that stage, it's definitely an A+ for PAD.

Now, what other PAD were we talking about? heh heh

IVS
Studio Manager

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search