The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kurzeil KSP-8, How does it sound?
Old 26th June 2005
Here for the gear

Kurzeil KSP-8, How does it sound?

I always am looking for new, cool, unique pieces (aren't we all). And i have NOT heard a ton of stuff about the Kurzeil KSP-8. Does anyone own it, and/or heard it and what do you think about the algorythms? Which ones do you use the most and on what?
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

I can tell you I'll buy one two months from now (saving...).

insomnio
Old 27th June 2005
Search the GS archives, there's lots about the KSP8. FWIW I have one and love it.
There's tons of useful verbs and other fx.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Creamy and Milky - just ask Walters heh
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

IMHO the best reverb currently beeing manufactured. And among all reverbs ever made it still ranks very well. If I was to get a new reverb today I'd look at nothing else.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

KSP8 compression?

I'm looking into moving up from the Rumour to the KSP8. What are the compresser alogs., 2 and mulltiband like?

Useable in place of, oh, let's say....the RNC? Waves Renn/C4?

KSP8 compression? Anyone?

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

88fingerz asks for compressiom. Mine is: converssion? I've heard something about using its converters...
Am I right?

Insomnio
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
88fingerz asks for compressiom. Mine is: converssion? I've heard something about using its converters...
Am I right?
I was asking about this a few weeks ago and now I've started doing it.

Mine is set up so I can use the four stock analog inputs and I route them straight through--no effects--the optional ADAT card inro the computer. Works perfectly.

I haven't done any really critical listening yet, and I haven't done a serious A/B against my Apogees, but on playback, what I heard sounded like what I put in. I've encountered a number of people who've said the conversion really is first rate. I can't concur (yet?), but in a pinch, if you're out of other inputs, it'll get you four more ins of good sounding signal.
Old 27th June 2005
It's my only efx box if that says anything (other than the occasional funky plug in). I wish some of the older classic Lexicons had digital I/O, I'd have a 480 and a 70 in the rack if they did.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k
I was asking about this a few weeks ago and now I've started doing it.

Mine is set up so I can use the four stock analog inputs and I route them straight through--no effects--the optional ADAT card inro the computer. Works perfectly.

I haven't done any really critical listening yet, and I haven't done a serious A/B against my Apogees, but on playback, what I heard sounded like what I put in. I've encountered a number of people who've said the conversion really is first rate. I can't concur (yet?), but in a pinch, if you're out of other inputs, it'll get you four more ins of good sounding signal.
So you'll need the ADAT option for that right?
That would leave me with no room for the new firewire option (?)
I mix digital, not having the firewire option would make a big diference?

Insomnio

Last edited by insomnio; 27th June 2005 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: fixing
Old 27th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
It's my only efx box if that says anything (other than the occasional funky plug in). I wish some of the older classic Lexicons had digital I/O, I'd have a 480 and a 70 in the rack if they did.
The 480L has AES ins/outs.

But it sounds better through its analog converters.

A lot of the classics do.

The converters are part of the sound.

Take away the converters of certain classics like te Quantec QRS and you have Yardstick which lacks the depth of the original.

Same goes for the EMT 250 and the Dynatron 255.

Also the 480L and 960L.
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
So you'll need the ADAT option for that right?
That would leave me with no room for the new firewire option (?)
I mix digital, not having the firewire option would make a big diference?
Same thing, as far as getting audio in and out of the computer; ADAT, Firewire, AES, they'll all take whatever you put through the analog inputs 1-4 and send them to whichever channels you choose 1-8 digital. Buy the Firewire one by all means if you don't already have an ADAT enabled PCI card (I do, so this was far less expensive than the Firewire option) The limitation here is the number of analog inputs. With your option slot used up by whichever digital card you choose, you're limited to four hard inputs; which, if you have none, is four more than zero! Or if you have multiple channels of AD already, and you're trying to track as many channels live as possible, you have four more than whatever you have. Bonus! For me, I've gone from eight in to 12 in. Not bad, short of buying another dedicated converter.

Here's what I do, maybe it'll work for you: set up a 'Studio' configuration in the KSP8 for recording. Then set up another Studio for mixing/sending/returning. You won't even have to repatch your analog lines since you're working all digitally. I have to repatch, since I still mix on a desk.

Enjoy it!
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

I had a KSP8 with the Remote and AES card and had it hooked up as 8 digital inserts. I also have an Eventide H-8000, and I gotta say the KSP8 wasn't even in the same league as far as sound quality and quality of FX goes. I'd say if you have a weak computer or want to save your DSP then the KSP8 is a great box because you can run up to four complicated stereo verbs at once or any combination of 4 effects that will take up 16 DSP units total on the KSP8. But I have a Dual 2.5 G5 and a lot of the plugin verbs I have could give the KSP8 a run for its money, and the other FX algos in the KSP8 weren't really lifting my skirt. The H-8000 on the other hand is in a complete league of it's own.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same thing, as far as getting audio in and out of the computer; ADAT, Firewire, AES, they'll all take whatever you put through the analog inputs 1-4 and send them to whichever channels you choose 1-8 digital. Buy the Firewire one by all means if you don't already have an ADAT enabled PCI card (I do, so this was far less expensive than the Firewire option) The limitation here is the number of analog inputs. With your option slot used up by whichever digital card you choose, you're limited to four hard inputs; which, if you have none, is four more than zero! Or if you have multiple channels of AD already, and you're trying to track as many channels live as possible, you have four more than whatever you have. Bonus! For me, I've gone from eight in to 12 in. Not bad, short of buying another dedicated converter.

Here's what I do, maybe it'll work for you: set up a 'Studio' configuration in the KSP8 for recording. Then set up another Studio for mixing/sending/returning. You won't even have to repatch your analog lines since you're working all digitally. I have to repatch, since I still mix on a desk.

Enjoy it!
Nice
As I said before, I don't have it yet; I'm buying it next month for an important mix. So you're helping me a lot here with my decisions at buying time.
One more question. Do you need a digital clock, as the Big Ben, with it? Would it help?
Thanks. (Man! I hope not being hijacking this thread ).

Insomnio
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Check out the Mercenary site for what Fletcher thinks of this box. I followed his advice and never looked back.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Is it true that the KSP8 digital inputs are only 44.1 or 48k? No 96k? Really?
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

amazing!

Jason
Old 19th November 2005
Gear Addict

Can the KSP8 do a format conversion from AES in to Lightpipe out?

So if I wanted to use it during tracking to use the HEDDs converters and record to an ADAT?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 19th November 2005
Gear Guru

I owned the KSP-8 for a couple of years and it was indeed an excellent box.

After hearing Convolution Reverbs on drums I had to sell it. They just sound better.

On vocals it was just about equal.

I didn't find the compression or multiband stuff very useful for me.

Channelstrip and TCMasterX are still better.

YMMV.
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buy the Firewire one by all means if you don't already have an ADAT enabled PCI card (I do, so this was far less expensive than the Firewire option) The limitation here is the number of analog inputs. With your option slot used up by whichever digital card you choose, you're limited to four hard inputs; which, if you have none, is four more than zero! Or if you have multiple channels of AD already, and you're trying to track as many channels live as possible, you have four more than whatever you have. Bonus! For me, I've gone from eight in to 12 in. Not bad, short of buying another dedicated converter.
i agree. the firewire/mlan option card sounds like it might be the best way to get around the 4 i/o limitation. you could always pick up an i88x and use it as an i/o expander for the ksp8 (giving you 8 analog, 8 adat and 2 spdif ins/outs).

then, you'll have the option of sending 8 channels to your soundcard (via adat/analog), or directly to your daw (via firewire/mlan). if you're on a mac, you might even be able to take advantage of core audio's device aggregation... so many choices...
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

I don't think too many plugs can emulate this box or give it a run for it's money.

I like to send stuff through it, then sit back with the remote and spend a few hours on how many different varieties of sounds I can get from this thing.

The hard part is choosing which one you like best (specially when you like all of them)

Honestly, I loose myself with the KSP-8. Sometimes, the song takes a whole new direction after using it. It's not only a reverb tool, it's a tool of creatlivity!

Jason
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

The thing about the KSP8 is there is nothing else on the market that can compete with it except the H8000 which is another $3000.

A lot of people bought them when they first came and and were hyped and are now selling them so the used prices are very low. I've seen used KSP8s go for $1600 used (no remote or ADAT).

For tha kinda money its a no brainer to own this box.

The H8000 is indeed in an entirely different league, a league of its own.

Most poeple aren't even be able to figue out how to program with VSIG, so a large portion of that machine's power goes to waste, whereas the KSP8 is extremely easy to program, albeit, less powerful.

I love the chamber reverbs and shifted delays on guitars and vocals.

Old 19th November 2005
Gear Addict

Somebody?

Somebody?Can the KSP8 do a format conversion from AES in to Lightpipe out?

So if I wanted to use it during tracking to use the HEDDs converters and record to an ADAT?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 20th November 2005
Gear Maniac

I have both the KSP and the H8000, and I think its a great match.
The KSP "FOR ME" fit a great price point vs sound quality vs flexablility, and so it made perfect sense. Really I don't see why the KSP could disapoint anyone.

However, remember this is my opinion, and a whole lot of variables could change this opinion.

And I still do lust in my heart for a tc 6000.

Makoto

Old 20th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods
Somebody?

Somebody?Can the KSP8 do a format conversion from AES in to Lightpipe out?

Thanks,

Woods
Yes. I believe it can. ALL digital outputs are available simultaneously from the KSP8. I have the ADAT card for it and can verify that all the digital outputs work at the same time.

Although I haven't used it to convert from AES to Lightpipe, I'm sure that would work fine. I've used mine in the past as A/D converters with the four analog inputs passing through to both AES and ADAT outs (just created an empty template that connects inputs to the outputs you want without any processors inserted in the chain).

Steve
Old 20th November 2005
Gear Maniac

ONE

I bought my Ksp8 a year ago witht he AES card and remote there is not uring back for the price it is a no brainer!!I love the Reverbs The phaser's are amazing the mutiband comp and eq chains are alright but also nobody has ever mentioned the flangers and SICK Delay's!!
It is and different animal then any lexicon they are not ever on the same level!!
It is a different pallette to paint the audio landscape!!
Old 20th November 2005
Gear Head

Hi
I have a ksp8 - I use it with protools w/adat card - It is multi functional for me,
I use the adats for digital effects also I sum with a midas and use the converters
to mix down to my mixdown computer - my aux effects are sent out to the midas.
as far as the reverbs it seems when I have a mixing session all the customers pick the ksp8 over the plugins - (waves ren reverb) . All though I do not have a complete set
of reverb plugin's . What ever you decide to do , It just seems while a hardware box is more expensive at first . With all the upgrades that have to be done with operating systems , Then host software - then plugins it may not take too long for these cost's to catch up to hardware - never mind the hassel.
Best of Luck in your decision,
Mike
Old 21st November 2005
Lives for gear

Hey all,

I know this should probably go in the classifieds, but since there is a thread here about this device...

I have a KSP8 for sale. In like new condition, used only for a magazine review. Stock model in original box with manual, etc. GREAT GREAT piece.

$1800.00 plus shipping.

Thanks so much...email to [email protected] if interested.
Old 21st March 2006
Gear Addict

A stock KSP8 has 4 analog ins. Hoe much real stereo effects can you do in analogue?

How does the KSP8 compare in sound to a Lex 300?

Woods

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search