The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
M-Audio Profire Lightbridge Questions?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

M-Audio Profire Lightbridge Questions?

Hi guys,

I am interested in getting the profire lightbridge to run pro tools m-powered and or Logic 8 via firewire on my macbook. I need a 24 channel A/D D/A to hook up to the lightbridge so I can mix on an analog board, and the SSL XLogic Alpha Link looks perfect for my needs. I can hook up the Alpha Link to the lightbridge via ADAT and have my 24 ins/outs for use with Logic.

My issue is this...the lightbridge only has ONE freaking firewire port!!! This seems to be my only negative with this setup. I need two firewire ports on the lightbridge b/c my macbook only has one, and I run an external hard drive off my interface, which would be the lightbridge. Is there anyway to get another firewire port, or some kind of adapter that will work with my macbook allowing both the lightbridge and an external H/D to be connected?

Also, any opinions on the set up I am looking to configure would be welcomed as well. I plan on getting the Lightbridge to connect the SSL XLogic Alpha Link to for 24 ins/outs of the computer, then get maybe a A&H GL2400 mixing board for mixing.

The goal is to get a "decent" studio capable of recording full bands live, and mixing lots of tracks on an ANALOG board. I realize this is not a commercial studio set up...but I just want something that will allow me to get practicing recording and mixing full bands on an actual analog board more often.

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear
Hey their

We have the same exact setup only difference is im running an alesis hd24 and running my hd's via usb!

Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for the vid and reply! Basically, here is my issue. I use a Macbook for my audio. I have one firewire port, and two USB ports. The lightbridge would go in the FW port, my mouse in one USB port, and my iLok goes in the other USB port. So where would I plug my external? I would rather use FW and not USB for it, so do they make a good FW hub that would solve my issue?

Thanks,

Seth
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

The reason the Lightbridge has only one FW port is that it's meant to be the end of the chain, with the drive(s) in between it and the host computer. Your drives have 2 ports, right?

you could use powered USB and FW hubs...but you may run into FW buss problems if your edit density gets up there, as your interface and drives are sharing one.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Your external harddrive only has one FW port too?

If you aren't going to use PT M-Powered, get the Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe instead. Aside from having a second FW port, it is a better unit in many respects.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

I will definitely check out the presonus...thanks! Yes, my external does have two FW ports. I just didn't think I could have the chain with the external connected to the computer...but I don't know why I didn't consider that.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search