The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing speakers in marshall 1960 cab
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Replacing speakers in marshall 1960 cab

I have a horribly beat up 1960 cab at the studio that sounded like ass till it stopped working. I just want to put a couple v30's in it. The cab currently has the stock 75 watt speakers, but I really dont want to replace them all, just use it as a 2x12 with v30's. The actual card to the cab is fried, so its not working at all.

Is it ok to just pop the speakers in one side and connect them to the existing wiring and solder a new 1/4'' jack where the wiring went to the card?

I feel like an idiot, but i dont know anything about this stuff. I just get way better results with v30's.
Old 26th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red
The actual card to the cab is fried, so its not working at all.
I don't know what this means?

but yes you can disconnect the 2 old speakers, and wire in the new ones. Just make sure your ohm rating is correct for your amp.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Are you talking about the 'Mono/Stereo' card?

If it's that beat up, just get rid of the card and all that stuff and put a new jack in it and wire it up.

Yes, I agree. Vintage 30's sound a lot better than 75's.

BTW, when you say it 'stopped working', do you mean that the wiring came undone or the drivers themselves stopped working?
Old 26th June 2005
The best thing to do if it is a 900 cab is to replace your speakers and then use some high quality cable (NOT MONSTER), and wire them series/parallel to one of the input jacks. It would probably be a good idea to cover the other jack so you don't plug your amp into it by accident. Don't wire the speakers to the electronics on that back plate. Those electronics kill the sound. It would also be a good idea to get a higher quality 1/4" for the input jack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search