The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Programing Pop Rock Drums
Old 26th June 2005
Programing Pop Rock Drums

I'm trying to figure out how to make programmed drums, like the ones on the new Kelly Clarkson, Michelle Branch, Avirl, (and pretty much anything produced by John Shanks) records. I have no clue were to start.

Hardware/Software?
Sounds?

Thanks for the help, Matt
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Drumkit from Hell, DFH Superior, and midi files made by a real drummer.... then you take the midi files and use the muti-saples to your advantage by moving the hits and velocities around to different snares, etc...
DFH has a midi files disk with it that is very very handy and a good palce to start. Yo ucan always add a kick or snare or whatever, wherever. I hope you know how to use midi and your piano roll though.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedude
Drumkit from Hell, DFH Superior, and midi files made by a real drummer.... then you take the midi files and use the muti-saples to your advantage by moving the hits and velocities around to different snares, etc...
DFH has a midi files disk with it that is very very handy and a good palce to start. Yo ucan always add a kick or snare or whatever, wherever. I hope you know how to use midi and your piano roll though.
Um...you might want to check out Matt's site. heh
Old 26th June 2005
I'm not looking for "Live" drum sounds. I'm looking for the the kinda ambient, lofi, dance type stuff. If you listen to Michelle Branch's song "Are You Happy Now?" You can hear kinda what I'm trying to get.

Matt
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod
I'm not looking for "Live" drum sounds. I'm looking for the the kinda ambient, lofi, dance type stuff. If you listen to Michelle Branch's song "Are You Happy Now?" You can hear kinda what I'm trying to get.

Matt
Sorry. Thought you were trolling. You seem to get results to where I wouldn't think you'd need any help.

Try Stylus RMX or even some refills for Reason. Chopping them up, filtering and bit-crushing helps too. It's amazing how much time you can piss away creating these little nuggets that hide behind the drums.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

or just take the boss drum machine you have lying around....then pump it through your stomp boxes, and you're done.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

I´d second StylusRMX !!
check spectrasonics site they´ve got a bunch of audio demos.

man, I´ve just spent over an hour on the oceanstudios site...what a place !!!!!
dare to share some inside opinions, story´s, why one would leave that place ??
how´s it in everyday live ...and is Amy Lee really as sexy as on all her pics ???
that NEVE rebuilt&wiring and the patchbay..that´s sooo sick
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit
Um...you might want to check out Matt's site. heh
I just did, great sounds on your regular stuff Matt!

As for the topic, you already have some great sounds so try taking those beats and processing them through as a poster before said, stompboxes. Also try putting them though synth filters.

Cheers,
Lumen
Old 26th June 2005
There is only one

why not just come up with your own thing instead of copying someone else [especially production so crappy with such vapid entertainers]
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Addict

Ultrabeat....in Logic 7

quick, easy to use....sounds and midi patterns out of the box aren't too bad, and once you get to tweaking them they're even better.....
Old 26th June 2005
Thanks for the help guys. I will check out the StylusRMX.

Tom, Ocean is a great studio. Nothing beats there live room and all the cool toys they have there. They have been booked pretty solid latly so I usally just take a couple of days to track drums, and usally do overdubs at The Recod Plant or my studio.

By the way what is trolling?

Matt
Old 27th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54
Ultrabeat....in Logic 7

quick, easy to use....sounds and midi patterns out of the box aren't too bad, and once you get to tweaking them they're even better.....
I thought the sounds were nothing special
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
I thought the sounds were nothing special
so then what would be YOUR recommendation for something better???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search