The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shadow Hills compressor?
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Guru

I put in a call every month and a half just to check in with Peter.
The latest is,He's got the first one working with some mods and it supposedly sounds fab. but has to get new pcb's made for the rest of the first batch, based on the mods he had to do on the first unit..always finding ways of improving the original design.
He said a couple weeks for the parts ..but you guys know how that goes..
There's talk about a possible listening session over at VK soon but i've been hearing that since last July..sure would be nice to hear it sometime soon,just to get my enthusiasm up.
It's my impression that the priority is to get the backordeded Gama deluxe's shipped asap,then when the new cards for the comp's arrive,its assembly time..
But you know I sometimes gotta remind myself, it's just one guy working his ass off and maybe a couple others helping putting all this stuff together,so...
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm still on my SH Compression Hunger Strike!
I vowed in October not to use compression untill it arrived.
Still Waaaaiiiiitttttttiiiinnnnnnn.....................

Lost almost all of my rock clients, but I've somehow attracted
lots' of community orchestras.?????????
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

anyone heard it yet ?
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Heard it at the listening party in North Hollywood. Beautiful. Everything promised. I spoke with Peter last week and he said only about 2 weeks away on the first orders. Can't wait.

At the party we got to hear a PT session of the Doobie Brothers "Long Train Runnin'"! It was SO cool to solo all the tracks and hear each one through the comp. Glue and vibe, butter and soul.

Can 't wait! thumbsup thumbsup
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Guru

Yes..After yet more revisions[thanks to some healthy suggestions from Michael Wagnerthumbsup ]..the units are finally being built..
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
At the party we got to hear a PT session of the Doobie Brothers "Long Train Runnin'"! It was SO cool to solo all the tracks and hear each one through the comp. Glue and vibe, butter and soul.

Can 't wait! thumbsup thumbsup

Yeah..even in that noisy room ,it sounded pretty damn cool.. stike
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

WTF Do you talk about bloody box that was promised last summer and postponed delivery through autumn, winter, spring. Man I've bought 5 compressors since then
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
Man I've bought 5 compressors since then

heh funny you mention that... so have I!
Old 9th July 2006
hh3
Here for the gear

Everyones been waiting,and I know that when it comes it will be something special.The one thing above all others that I know you can count on is that Peters stuff will be unsurpassed in quality.I have a Gamma 8,should have bought 2,and have a Equinox coming.
Harry
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

So, after a while, any disappointment in campus of current users?
Or is it must have compressor?
I'm not sure we saw many raves around after the dust settled down.
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
heh funny you mention that... so have I!
I paid in full being told it would ship in 3 weeks. Then, 2 months later I was told it was shipping. Then a year later (a full 365 days) I took a store credit instead and now I refuse to even listen to that compressor. Great guy (Peter), and I have heard some of his stuff (Gamma 8 and Equinox) that sounded awesome, but I will never buy anything that says 'Shadow Hills' based on principle. It annoyed me when I saw Peter was working on developing new products while I was waiting for his ongoing redesigning of this compressor. If you take money in advance, you should not be mocking up future products until after you are shipping your previously announced and pre sold products. That is just not cool. IMO The time he was spending on those other future products should have been spent finish what he had already promised/sold.

I do not reccomend that other people veer away from Shadow Hills, the gear I have heard is great, but I would advise against prepaying for any new products that aren't physically shipping. Regardless of how close the release date may be.
Old 7th November 2006
Lives for gear

Peter is dropping off my compressor tonite. More than a year after my order was placed. I have heard it at a demo session and it is incredible. Roundbadge loves his and uses it incessantly. I agree with you 84k, but I wasn't about to pull out, especially after the price hike. I'll give my review after I've had some time to play.heh
Old 7th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I would advise against prepaying for any new products that aren't physically shipping.
thumbsup
Old 7th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Djeeezzz you guys have A LOT of patience...
I can't imagine waiting for more than a year (afer you paid in full) and still no compressor.
I hope its' worth it....
Old 7th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lectra View Post
Djeeezzz you guys have A LOT of patience...
I can't imagine waiting for more than a year (afer you paid in full) and still no compressor.
I hope its' worth it....
The little Toft desk is about 9 mo. late. I waited 4 years for a guitar, and 8 years for my wife to come around ... patience is a good thing.
Old 7th November 2006
Gear Guru

Ive been so busy working as of late..but all I can say is this compressor is a staple on every session.. tracking and I wish I had another for drums on mixdown.
.. ultimately everything ends up going through it in the end..2 buss.
usually try different things on the stereo buss,but this one pretty much wins every time.
one of the coolest pieces of gear I've ever owned.thumbsup thumbsup
Old 7th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
8 years for my wife to come around ... patience is a good thing.
I wait for mine more than 20 years, still no signs it will ever happen....
Old 7th November 2006
Gear Maniac

a waited a long time for my shadow hills GAMA and have been waiting for my Toft. VK loaned me pres when i needed them (they should never have lent me an AMS Neve 1073 because as much as i love my GAMA, i still will never forget the sounds we got on kick, snare, and overhead.) i have to say it sucks to wait, especially if you are working and the whole time you are thinking "man this would sound so much better if..." truth is we recorded before we got the GAMA and made some tracks that sound as good if not better than before the GAMA arrived (they sounded better not because of the pres to be sure). my point is that if you can hold out, you end up paying a lot less and getting a product that will last you years to come which in the long run eclipses the wait time over and over. plus TOFT, Shadow Hills, Charter Oak, Mercenary, Vintage King (all the companies i've worked with) all have unbeleivable customer service that keeps you reassured that your initial purchase wasn't such a bad idea.
Old 8th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
I wait for mine more than 20 years, still no signs it will ever happen....
I'm getting one at the end of this month[Nov 26]! heh
Old 8th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Roundbadge, Are you getting hitched???? If so, that calls for a gearslutian party!
Old 9th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Roundbadge, Are you getting hitched???? If so, that calls for a gearslutian party!

Yes Kthumbsup All gear purchases on hold until after the 26..
[well.. ....maybe a couple little things]
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
AWESOME!!!! I will be in LA around the 20th. Drinks on me
Old 9th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
heh
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man you better buy as much gear as you can before you get hitched! Congartz!

Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buy one for him for me too...I'll paypal ya the 10 bucks
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Buy one for him for me too...I'll paypal ya the 10 bucks

RB, I will message or call you when my flight is booked. I'll be staying in West Hollywood. We'll definitely have to get one night of partying in!!stike stike
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Dont let it get out, but a little bird told me that Roundbadge is gonna have a Gearslutz-Only bachelor party and give out Shadow Hills Mastering Comps -- Oprah stylee!

PS: Congrats Hunter -- marriage is good.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congrats bud thumbsup
And one slutz less here soon
Old 10th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Congrats, RB!

To everyone else, I got the comp!!! Finally!!! This thing is a work of art. So many applications. Love, love, love

Pics when I can get to it.
Old 10th November 2006
Gear Guru

Thanks everybody!

And don't worry,I ain't goin nowhere..
She likes the gear..especially the old stuff[1/2 inch tape machines,etc]and is a musician.
My fiance is a registered GS member too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search