The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shadow Hills compressor?
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendondp
Okay, so aside from the obvious appeal of the Shadow Hill's aesthetics, what exactly are those of you (Roundbadge, 84K, rstreber) hoping for, sonically speaking?

What am I hoping for? To fill a void. Something I have never gotten when a beautiful young girl walks in the studio wanting to be a star vocalist.... I long for something that sounds as good as it looks. heh

No, but in all seriousness... The Gamma 8 is really cool. I got to try it. A great deal for the money. I assume this compressor is going to be along that line of sound and quality. Mike at VK told me it is great, and I trust him. If not, I am sure (being in the first 10 of the prepaid line in what is becoming a long line) I should be able to pass it on to a fellow curious slut with little or no loss (if it does not work for me).

Hey, any of you other guys order it with the detent option besides me?
Old 5th November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Hey, any of you other guys order it with the detent option besides me?

nope,but it's starting to sound like a good idea.
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

detents

I ordered the detents on the SH-MC. I also ordered my GAMA-8 with channels 5-8 with the St. Ives option and channels 3, 4, 7 & 8 with detents. Should cover all the bases.

Anybody have an update on our wait time?

Peter? You out there?
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

I ordered the Gamma Deluxe with summing a few months back. I was told about 3-4 weeks....now they are saying "maybe" the end of November...
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
I ordered the detents on the SH-MC. I also ordered my GAMA-8 with channels 5-8 with the St. Ives option and channels 3, 4, 7 & 8 with detents. Should cover all the bases.

Anybody have an update on our wait time?

Peter? You out there?

Damn dude, you've definitely got the Penthouse at the Shadow Hill's Estates.
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

lol. Guess my family won't be buying that house this year....
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Finally Arrived!

Well Fellow Slutz,

It finally arrived! The Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor! Wired it up our 8058 and it sounds glorious......................
................. just kidding, I'm waiting like everyone else.

heh
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

This IS the most hyped up compressor out there. Besides looking like a 40's fighter plane cockpit panel, little else is known...

I don't know slutz...it better deliver...
Old 6th November 2005
Gear Guru

I call this the "Boutique waiting game"
Ive learned in general when someone says next week.it usaully means..
"It'll be done when it's done"
I heard "probably next week" with the Aurora mixer for 14 months.
Pete's on the serious hustle though...
getting a small manufacturing company up and running takes a bit of time..especially when it becomes all "In House"
I does get a bit silly after awhile ..dangling the cheese in front of the hungry mice heh
His stuff will be good.The Pre's sound great stike
Old 6th November 2005
Gear Head

Marketing at its best

I think this is the best pre-realease marketed item program ever created.
If I were shadow hills or VK i would be trying to sell as many as i can before i start shipping any.
good luck guys.
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Styer
I think this is the best pre-realease marketed item program ever created.
If I were shadow hills or VK i would be trying to sell as many as i can before i start shipping any.
good luck guys.
It really is brilliant marketing. I mean, no matter how good it is, one review will site maybe one limitation or shortcoming, and boom, sales will fall off a tick. They KNOW they've GOT us by the gear glandz.

It's bound to be brilliant. And even if it's only moderately brilliant, my clients will be dazzled when they walk in and see that 5 RU lady in waiting.
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Face it if the thing looked like $hit nobody would care. I was actually hoping for something a little more innovative than an improved SSL style comp (the discrete section).

But I'm sure it will kick serious ass. I don't think it's any brilliant marketing program or anything.

"It's just that people want that look, and if it sounds good that's a bonus."

That last line is quotable I must say. Ha ha! heh
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hans, the beauty of the box has created much buzz and interest. And they could be saving up the pre sales, but after hearing the Gamma Pres, this box will have to deliver to some degree. If not, I am sure they would get a lot of people that would cancel (and I am sure that would be a big pain for them). I believe, the amount of attention that Peter has put into this will definitely payoff. I also think the price will go up and the early birds will be the lucky ones.... At least that is what I am hoping for
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hey J, I wasn't serious. I don't really think it's an evil plot to "sell units" that's holding up delivery. I think we've just got a serious demand vs. supply issue, with a maniac for quality control in the cockpit (all due respect, Mr. Reardon).

Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Hans, the beauty of the box has created much buzz and interest. And they could be saving up the pre sales, but after hearing the Gamma Pres, this box will have to deliver to some degree. If not, I am sure they would get a lot of people that would cancel (and I am sure that would be a big pain for them). I believe, the amount of attention that Peter has put into this will definitely payoff. I also think the price will go up and the early birds will be the lucky ones.... At least that is what I am hoping for
I totally agree with your assessment. That's why I jumped in the pool. This will definitely go up in price big time.
Old 6th November 2005
AB3
Lives for gear

How many Shadow Hills Compressors will be released in their "first batch" and what is the latest word on their availability?
(or are they not making a major run at once?)
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

So we got a Fearn VT7 (f'ing beautiful) and my boss grabbed that for the OTB room. He's promised me a great 2-buss compressor and we have an STC-8 coming for eval soon but now... damn... any way to demo units as beautiful as this? I need to hear from some ears on this thing. The controls intrigue me... the VT7 is absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure if it has enough knobs!
Old 6th November 2005
Gear Head

I believe the Fearn Compressor is the STC-8 with the Fearn Tube buffer
and line amplifier. I hear (unconfirmed) that Fearn licensed the STC-8
from Cranesong and then put his (Fearn) line amp and his tube buffer
(post compression). So, if that is true, then the Fearn Compressor is a
modified STC-8 with a little Fearn love. Again, please keep in mind,
this is unconfirmed.
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Veeery interesting though. Well part of what I love about the Fearn is its girth... then its transparency. Seems oxymoronic but it isn't somehow. So the STC-8 may just sound like a boring version of the Fearn. Hmmm...

Lots of guys love the Cranesong though. We really like to demo stuff before buying, but I don't think our dealer will be able to get us one of these Shadow Hill's to try out anytime soon.
Old 7th November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Again, please keep in mind, this is unconfirmed.
confirmed ... over.
Old 7th November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
I believe the Fearn Compressor is the STC-8 with the Fearn Tube buffer
and line amplifier. I hear (unconfirmed) that Fearn licensed the STC-8
from Cranesong and then put his (Fearn) line amp and his tube buffer
(post compression). So, if that is true, then the Fearn Compressor is a
modified STC-8 with a little Fearn love. Again, please keep in mind,
this is unconfirmed.

That could be a great thing..I'm using the Fearn EQ's and it's pure love
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge

Great EQ.
Old 7th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Fearn and STC-8

I am curious if I could achieve the girth that is being spoken about the Fearn compressor by running a signal thru an STC-8 followed by a fearn 2 channel pre???would I be achieving the same thing>>>>just curious?

(girth with clean compression)...
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojava
I am curious if I could achieve the girth that is being spoken about the Fearn compressor by running a signal thru an STC-8 followed by a fearn 2 channel pre???would I be achieving the same thing>>>>just curious?

(girth with clean compression)...

The Fearn is not necessarily going to have more "girth." And no, putting a micpre after the compressor will not create the effect you are thinking (it will cause distortion). I am sure the STC-8 stands up on its own. The Fearn may have more color, but it will not be better just because of his line amp and tube buffer. Cranesongs amp aint bad. Also the Cranesong has different features that are its own. They are both cool, but quite different in the grand scheme.
Old 7th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
What are you using them on?

How are they holding up along side your Pultecs and MP EQ?

The Fearn gear with me is a love hate thing.

I either love it immensely or i can't use it(i am thinking of the mic pre).

The one time i got to try the EQ i thought i could put it to use but in a different way than the above mentioned.

The compressor i am curious of but the more i read the more i go...hmmm.

May not be what i need at the moment.
Old 7th November 2005
Gear Guru

Fearns a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
What are you using them on?

How are they holding up along side your Pultecs and MP EQ?

The Fearn gear with me is a love hate thing.

I either love it immensely or i can't use it(i am thinking of the mic pre).

The one time i got to try the EQ i thought i could put it to use but in a different way than the above mentioned.

The compressor i am curious of but the more i read the more i go...hmmm.

May not be what i need at the moment.

Well,i'm still just getting into the Fearn thing.
I know some think the pre is a real "one trick pony" type deal.
I'm not feeling this with the EQ at all.I can see it working on a lot of stuff.
I just did some big ballad-like vocals today and passed audio through the eq just for the sound of the line amp..worked beautifully.
On kick and snare /bass/synth's.. ..So far,total smile maker.
coping a second for stereo stuff this week.
I looking forward to hearing them along side the Pultecs on the bus
What's really sealed it for me so far is when I swapped the Pultec out on the kick and bass overdubs for the Fearn this past week[of course the mid dip is a big plus on kick]with GREAT results .a bit cleaner on the hi freq's..still does the tight/big thing on the bottom..I'm gonna do some serious ear to ear this week on down time with the Pultecs.
The tweakabilty of the MP took a while "to get" for me.Now I like it.. ..
still don't dig it too much for hi's on the 2 bus though.
...Much Like a Pultec,The Fearn is instant gratification..turn a knob and it just sounds great.
The Pultecs will always have their very own special thing nothing else can do.
As I'd hoped for,the Fearn is a very nice variation of the theme ..a tad bit cleaner, but it's own big happinin' super sweet thing as well..
The Fearns and Pultecs are gonna get along just fine.
Very happy camper here.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Cranesongs amp aint bad.
It's not bad, but I still think it's the weak point of that particular unit. You really can't add much makeup gain before it starts sounding a bit grainy to me. It can be a really cool effect on drum subs though.

Anyway, the STC-8 brains with the Fearn line amp is exactly what I've been looking for. So I'll be ordering one immediately. I'd rather have a VT-7 than the Shadow Hills myself.

And I'm sure the wait time is much more reasonable too.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Wise decision Jdunn. We have a lot of fearn gear and Doug lives right near my parents. So, one day I will stop by his place and check out this compressor (then probably place an order immediately after hearing it), so I have been waiting. The Shadow Hills is more interesting to me cause it has more going on feature wise and it brings a fresh face. That and the facts I already mentioned earlier in this thread. But I think you are making a great decision with your purchase. Let us know how the Fearn works for you when you get it!!
Old 8th November 2005
Gear Guru

84..are you using the VT-4's at your place?
just curious what youre using them on.
Ive been digging the one I have here..looking forward to the stereo thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search