The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shadow Hills compressor?
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

my dear slutz,

here is a very exclusive photo from the inside. some informers risk their lives to bring it to the public...
Attached Thumbnails
Shadow Hills compressor?-inside.jpg  
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Shadow Hills compressor has been completed. Reardon, Roundbadge and I will check it out at 3 on Saturday. Reardon said he couldn't be happier with it.
Old 21st September 2005
Lives for gear

Come on..come on...well????
Some of us are impatiently waiting!!!!

heh
Old 21st September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
Come on..come on...well????
Some of us are impatiently waiting!!!!

heh

Myself included...
....we're still waiting to get it
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Pulled the trigger

After I got the email announcing this compressor, I called Jeff, got the skinny, sold my STC-8 and through down on this thing. I'm DYING to know how great it is. I'd also like to know what upgrades are available that I've read about on this thread. I've been studying this jpeg and I've got to say, the thing just makes a whole lot of good sense to me. I know EXACTLY what to do with this sexy box
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Jeesh..... That`s kinda gutsy aint it ?

Nobodys even heard the thing yet and you sold an STC-8 just based on how it looks ???

STC-8`s a solid box !

But based on how it DOES look I definately understand as well.

Good luck with it and be sure and post your thoughts when you get it and put it through the paces.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Roundbadge and I have spoken to Reardon. He's going to be FINALLY showing at AES. After that, we'll be able to check it out. I figure in about a week or so. (echo) In a week or so...in a week or so...in a week or so...
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

gutsy trigger

Several things made up my mind, sound unheard. First, I trust Jeff. He already owns one and uses it in his studio, along with the GAMA 8. As someone who probably knows gear better than any of us, I have to respect that review. He says everyone at AES is crapping their pants. Also, Peter will deliver my unit himself, install it and run through it with me. I have 2 weeks to evaluate it and if I don't dig it, full refund. If I ever have problems, hey, he's just over the hill to help me out. Also, the last reason, these will go up by around $500 after the first of the year because demand is so huge already.

Another thing that I have to say is that I did not enjoy using my STC-8. I was able to get around it and pull what I needed from it, but there was a learning curve. Did it sound great? Yeah. Very clean, very transparent. I know I'm rolling the dice a bit. But at least I got exactly what I paid for my STC-8 and it's going to pay for this one. I much prefer the VU metering and every control on the SHMC makes good sense to me.

I don't know. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Everything I've heard from Shadow Hills is stellar reviews, uncompromising detail in design and components.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

The STC-8 is a rather boring sounding compressor. It does stay clean and out of the way though. The make up gain sounded grainy to me. I sold mine too, but on the promise of a new vari-mu style module for my Messenger tube system. Almost 2 years later and the prototype is still sitting on some hippie's bench.

Let's face it though, if the Shadow Hills looked like a DBX, you would not have ordered it.

stike

And I probably wouldn't want one either.
Old 7th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
He already owns one and uses it in his studio, along with the GAMA 8.

In reality, Jeff only had it for a couple hours 2 weeks ago when Pete brought it by..
but hey,I have one on order..After AES they'll be backordered to hell.
..If it doesn't work for me ,the loot can go elsewhere.
plus Jeff is absolutely great about letting you trying stuff and returning it!
But I think Pete will make it happen with his stuff..I heard some rock tracked with the Gama a couple days ago,sounded great.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
After AES they'll be backordered to hell.
Thanks for reminding me!

So will the new Pendulum PL-2 Peak Limiter, which I must have. At least I'm getting my new Dangerous ST w/ Star Trek remote soon.

Boom boom ching cha boom boom ching
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

looks that kill

[/QUOTE]Let's face it though, if the Shadow Hills looked like a DBX, you would not have ordered it.

stike

And I probably wouldn't want one either.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly admit to falling in love with the aesthetic. And the ideas behind it. Multiple transformer options, 2 different compressors...., I mean if it sounds good, who couldn't make use of that scenario!
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
Several things made up my mind, sound unheard. First, I trust Jeff. He already owns one and uses it in his studio, along with the GAMA 8. As someone who probably knows gear better than any of us, I have to respect that review. He says everyone at AES is crapping their pants. Also, Peter will deliver my unit himself, install it and run through it with me. I have 2 weeks to evaluate it and if I don't dig it, full refund. If I ever have problems, hey, he's just over the hill to help me out. Also, the last reason, these will go up by around $500 after the first of the year because demand is so huge already.

Another thing that I have to say is that I did not enjoy using my STC-8. I was able to get around it and pull what I needed from it, but there was a learning curve. Did it sound great? Yeah. Very clean, very transparent. I know I'm rolling the dice a bit. But at least I got exactly what I paid for my STC-8 and it's going to pay for this one. I much prefer the VU metering and every control on the SHMC makes good sense to me.

I don't know. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Everything I've heard from Shadow Hills is stellar reviews, uncompromising detail in design and components.

So not as gutsy as I first thought with getting what you paid for the STC-8 + the nice 2 week return policy.

I hope it`s as great as we all expect and again definately write a very long and in depth (don`t leave anything out ! ) review here when you get a chance and feel like it.

I think I`m going to buy the console when it comes out.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

I hope you get it by Christmas. I'm already hesitant to order, based on the wait time. Maybe I'll get the Thermionic Phoenix for now instead.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc

So not as gutsy as I first thought with getting what you paid for the STC-8 + the nice 2 week return policy.

I hope it`s as great as we all expect and again definately write a very long and in depth (don`t leave anything out ! ) review here when you get a chance and feel like it.

I think I`m going to buy the console when it comes out.
Kev,

I promise to give my detailed review (for what it's worth) when I get it. I expect everyone else that gets "a go at her" to do the same. That's why us sluts are here, right?
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
I hope you get it by Christmas. I'm already hesitant to order, based on the wait time. Maybe I'll get the Thermionic Phoenix for now instead.
Well, I can't think of a better Christmast present! Must be nice to be able to get a Phoenix "for now"! stike
Old 7th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:

Ive been doing that route..been waiting to hear the SH for months!
I have a feeling I'll wanna keep both though..$$$$$
2 different beasts.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Well, the only compressor I've got right now is a tube opto limiter. It's a really special custom one (Messenger Reference) that catches peaks pretty transparently, but it's not exactly the best buss compressor. And the 75 lb. all-tube power supply runs too hot to use the thing in the daytime, or on summer nights!

So while I'm not rich, it would be nice to have a decent buss compressor again. Not that I'm getting one any time soon mind you. Maybe if I sell some more of my other gear.

I used to have an STC-8 (for years), a FATSO, pair of Requisite PALs, Squeezebox, Vac Rac.....uhhhhh, what else? Had a Millennia Twincom for a while, but didn't dig it on the 2-buss either. I almost bought a used Focusrite Blue 230 a while back, but didn't.

So yeah, I really need a Phoenix or a Shadow Hills type compressor. Maybe Round Badge will take a vacation someday and I can rent his for a week.
Old 7th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:

So yeah, I really need a Phoenix or a Shadow Hills type compressor. Maybe Round Badge will take a vacation someday and I can rent his for a week.

Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

I think Mr. Reardon should build these in a Vietnamese sweatshop so we can all have one soon! Just team up with Nike or something. Oh snap, I've got a Nike t-shirt on, again. Bad me! One day I'll stop drinking beer and work on this crappy wardrobe.

Who am I kidding? What wardrobe? I've got clothes strewn about the floor and in piles all over my room. My whole house looks like the album cover of Zappa's 'Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation'.

Is this post funny yet?

Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Mr. Reardon should build these in a Vietnamese sweatshop so we can all have one soon! Just team up with Nike or something. Oh snap, I've got a Nike t-shirt on, again. Bad me! One day I'll stop drinking beer and work on this crappy wardrobe.

Who am I kidding? What wardrobe? I've got clothes strewn about the floor and in piles all over my room. My whole house looks like the album cover of Zappa's 'Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation'.

Is this post funny yet?

That's such a great cover.. One of my favorite records, too. Actually, that's just the Overnite Sensation art that they used on the "twofer" cd. I used to have the vinyl... Sure do miss Frank.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

My buddy Gus has the Alembic bass that Tom Fowler used on those records, and zillions more. It may be the most famous Alembic actually, because of the albums it's been used on. All those Zappa albums, Jean Luc Ponty, etc...

Alembic has requested pictures of this bass.

Frank used to borrow it occasionally to work out charts. There are a few deep pits dug into the body from Tom's thumb. I was just playing it the other night for a minute and Gus was talking about getting some work done on it by Alembic.

Back to compressor land now.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Actually, one more bit of Zappa news to note.

I heard Ike is back in town.
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

Just ordered one, never ordered a peice of gear with so little solid info in my life.
These are either gonna become famous fast or their will be a lot of them on ebay in December.
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
These are either gonna become famous fast or their will be a lot of them on ebay in December.

AAHHH... the true Bleeding Edge Gearslutz dillema init??!!
heh heh heh heh
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just ordered one, never ordered a peice of gear with so little solid info in my life.
I wouldnt worry ...
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

I'm trying to get one now
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Guru

Yeah Ive got one on order..but these guys are gonna make sure it sounds right..
Pete is a true madman for details,this guy ain't f&kkin around..
even still ...I know VK's got my back...very flexible with Demos,returns etc
These guys are GREAT to deal with!! thumbsup
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I think you'll be lucky if the first 5 of you that ordered get your units by December in the first place. Not to say that production might not ramp up at some point, but it looks to be pretty slow right now.

I might just grab a used STC-8 and be happy again with that.
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

OMG! you all are JUNKIEES!!...... sniff it up your nose this SH thing!...hmmm,ahhh.....but this is gearslutz...where you can talk your darkest fantasies to other victims....hehe...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search