The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shadow Hills compressor?
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
Plastic drinking straw. Sometimes it can be difficult to find one with the right diameter.

ian
Interesting... a trip to a grocery store then... who knew!?

Thanks for the tip.

p.
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hi,

Yes. They unscrew. Same direction as a normal 60W light bulb.

I found that plastic shrink wrap tubing worked great for getting a grip on the light bulbs. I picked up a package of assorted sizes at Radio Shack. Worked great.

Good luck!!!

Don
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by don4777 View Post
Hi,

I found that plastic shrink wrap tubing worked great for getting a grip on the light bulbs. I picked up a package of assorted sizes at Radio Shack. Worked great.

Good luck!!!

Don

Wow. That's a good one! I'm going to remember that...

Ian
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Good luck!!!

Don
Well,

I did try the shrink wrap tubing, and, of course, I crushed the bulb with my fingers...
Q-tip thing didn't work for me... but then I looked at the metal housing and the broken off glass stub through a magnifying glass, and, honestly, I don't think that there is anything there to unscrew... in fact: it seems that the white wires that go into the metal housing are sunk into the glass portion of the bulb directly, as I can see the light coming through the metal housing from one side to another...

this is rather confusing, and somewhat unnerving.
I did send Peter an email asking about this. Am curious to hear from him directly. I need to get to the bottom of this, as there are a couple bulbs on my unit that need to be replaced. It seems that this should be a simple thing, but it turns out to be a bit of a nosebleed for me. I bought the unit used, and want to bring it up to a tip-top condition ;-)

p.
Old 6th November 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
Plastic drinking straw. Sometimes it can be difficult to find one with the right diameter.

ian
i have used rubber vacuum line as well as gas line, from a parts store for stubborn bulbs with good success.
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Good luck!!!

Don
Just to follow up on this, for the benefit of others.

The official answer to this question is: it depends on which version of the SHMC you are using! As it happens: my Number #003 is using bulbs that DO NOT unscrew. The bulb I posted a picture of (earlier in this thread) is permanently attached to the wires. This has been confirmed by Shadow Hills Industries, and I am currently awaiting the replacement bulbs (with wires). The replacement procedure should be relatively simple, as the wires are not soldered to any board/part, but are connected via small screws. So it's a matter of disconnecting the old wires and placing new ones in. I am not sure if these bulbs can be purchased from anywhere else, bout SHI shipped them very promptly, and at no charge.

So, to recap: if you are dealing with the burned out bulbs: check first to see which version of SHMC design you are working with. From what I gathered so far: there are at least three different bulb types that have been used over time:

first: the kind that I have (with the wires directly connected to the bulb, which do not unscrew),
second: the bulbs that do unscrew (like Don's), and
third: LEDs rather than incandescent bulbs (presumably the current models).

And, as a result of my experiences:

I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned that perhaps there should be a thread on gs devoted to this type of technical information regarding the Shadow Hills units. I would agree with that. There is a lot of information on the forum about the units, but it's all scattered in many threads, sometimes difficult to find, even through extensive searches. Since, it seems, SH does encourage some hands-on fixes, having a more focused thread on the various procedures (like calibrating meters for example) or the various re-designs etc. would (in my opinion) be extremely useful. I am planning to start a thread that could be called: "Shadow Hills TECH INFO EXCHANGE" or something to that effect. Any thoughts on that?

Sincerely,
p.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

And here it is:

Shadow Hills TECH INFO Exchange thread.

p.
Old 12th September 2010
Is it just me or is their website (SHADOW HILLS INDUSTRIES - VICTORY IS OUR BUSINESS) one of the most useless and uninformative gear company sites you've ever seen?

I give them an A+ for aesthetic and interactive aspects, but that is all useless if I can't find some more photos and info about one of their products I'm considering purchasing. Maybe they just assume we'll all go to vintageking.com instead? I just find their website weird...maybe I couldn't find the right button to press, but after clicking through that book on the left a few times and typing enigma codes I gave up. What's up with that site?
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

I think the site was meant to be just that: aesthetic and interactive.

Peter had been talking about it for some time and it was clear that the end result would be more of an art project. At least that was the impression I got from talking to him about it. I think it goes along with the SH vibe. It's Peter's thing, he's going to do what makes him happy.

Vintage King (exclusive US distributor) has loads of detailed info on each SH piece along with a good sized image, and anybody wanting to buy one has to go there anyhow. I guess he figured he would have some fun as all of the info was readily available. You either get it or you don't, I suppose?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search