The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing with Digi 001?
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
I would be ready to defend Curve Dominat´s work, for in my ear I think that he has done nice jobs there, but I oppose his statement according to which a 001 would suffice for everybody´s needs.
When did I say that??
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Let me ask you instead: When the 001 provides circumstances like you describe ...

Quote:
C. Dye answered to the effect of:
"Yes, not only is it possible, but it's been done, because I've mixed projects recorded on the 001 for major label releases."

The Oceans Eleven David Holmes-composed underscore was mixed in the box (to stems for the film post, but whatever), and the stock Digi 888/24 convertors were used. I know, because I spoke with the studio manager at Sunset Marquis, where that recording was produced.

OK, now you have to RECORD that stuff, and REALLY do it justice. Can you do that with a 001?

And if you cannot, what makes you think you can with a Neve and a Studer?

Augsberger designed live room AND control room, big fooking Neve automated console, 32 track digital tape. State Of The F&cking Art, at that time, late 80's. $3M studio. And I listen to those recordings now against the Naeemah and Chase and Kurt Guitars and Delph Conspiracy stuff on my website that I did in my crib on the 001, and there is no comparison: The 001 wins, hands down.
... why would anybody be needing something else, could he?

Your message to me sounded pretty much like if one could use the box efficiently the 001 would be sufficient.

But maybe it´s just my limited English ...

Ruphus
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your message to me sounded pretty much like if one could use the box efficiently the 001 would be sufficient.
Well, "if" is the key word there. But no matter Rufus, and thanks for the compliments.

Go ahead, ask me to clarify, cause Naeemah just called to say she's running late, so I have another hour to chat.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant
Tracks #9, 10, 11 & 12 on Naeemah's CD (look at the website Henchie, I haven't had much time for cooking lately, but thanks for asking).

I know, I should have added a smiley to that post.
Old 30th June 2005
Not that I want to get involved (I know, then stay out of it) but our dear esteemed William Wittman, who has mixed more platinum albums and has more hits than everyone combined on this thread I would dare say, has been using an 001 on some of his latest projects…... with pretty good results.....

I used an 001 for years along side mix + and Paris systems and damn if the 001 did not hold it's own. I tried to never use the 001 converters, they ant' great, but I got a few good things from the 001 in my day.

I have said it before but JJP on a Mackie can out mix me on anything but JJP on SSL can out mix JJP on a Mackie. That says gear does matter but so does talent.

As far as gear goes the 001 is not by any stretch the cream of the crop (some would say the same of some SSL boards) but it is a usable tool that can make a good product if you follow some basic rules, (same with an SSL) rules which you will never learn if you spend all your time complaining about the box. Fine if you don't want to learn how to use the 001 but don't complain that it is a bad tool if you have never taken the time to learn to use it properly.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
I know, I should have added a smiley to that post.
We did have a nice culinary arts festival here on Antique Row last Sunday. About 30K people showed up.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
As far as gear goes the 001 is not by any stretch the cream of the crop (some would say the same of some SSL boards) but it is a usable tool that can make a good product if you follow some basic rules, (same with an SSL) rules which you will never learn if you spend all your time complaining about the box. Fine if you don't want to learn how to use the 001 but don't complain that it is a bad tool if you have never taken the time to learn to use it properly.
THANK YOU.
Old 30th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant
THANK YOU.

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to read my post... my great words of wisdom are oft-lost in the static of Gearslutz...

(that was a joke)
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have been pointing to a mix W. Wittman posted here a while ago. I thought it sounded great ( despite of a trashy synth chosen for the arrangement in question ). And to my ears it seemed clear that that mix was not done on a 001. Be it him behind the knobs or not.

Many contributing items can help a lot, but nevertheless, if I came in to be recorded by a blessed engineer and found him sitting behind a 001 I would drag in my own stuff, because it would come out sounding better. And that´s simply clear.

I can cook you good tasting meals with foodstuff from a discounter, but it would taste just better with stuff from a deli.

Hey, me has been protesting here once on behalf of an insanely expensive Wagner U47, because on first listening to a sample I was supposing that it was a just slightly better mic for an outrageous price.

Ok, the price I think still is silly, but listening again a couple of days later it showed characteristics that just can´t be gained with the mics of the lower shelf.

If the difference to expensive gear was to be compensated by just a couple of techniques only the rich would buy them for their comfort.

But fact is that you can´t really make good for losses in the chain and that everybody´s work benefits from better parts like convertors. The man who can make some with a 001 can do better with other stuff.

Why is such trivial circumstance questioned at all?
Do you want to say that decent gear is completely overpriced?
In that case I´m all with you and I had my postings about the matter, more than once.

Ruphus
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you want to say that decent gear is completely overpriced?
Well, my 001 system was free, so yeah, everything else IS overpriced!

LOL!
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Lucky guy,

I paid the equivalent of 1200 USD for it. ... Dollars of the nineties.
And walking my way home I took the big nice, coloured cardbox into the pub for a couple cups of beer. People asking me what it was and I replied like "Hey, that´s a recording device, but a real one. You know professsional stuff."

And later when folks would ask what I use I´d say ProTools and they´d go like "Wow! ... ProTools." he he he

Sweet! heh

Besides, I had an Echo Darla sound card before that which sounded mucho better than the 001 ( eventhough I believe it was just 16 bit ... ) I switched because Windows wouldn´t let me do a single track and the 001 was more stable than the ***§§$"! Cubase crap of that time.

Ruphus
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

So what's the moral?

s'funny...i run a very similar set-up
DDA D Series console to 001 & Alesis AI3

The results are coming along quite well thank you...the desk is much less annoying than virtual faders....more crochity to be sure, but thats its charm

but i do see the end of the Digi001 on the horizon...DigiDesign barely supports the thing for OSX...a spiteful move if ever there was one...

so where are the converters for punks....dammit if i could spend thousands on this crap i would butt where would that leave my Drug/Hooker Habit?...short changed i would think..

..soo i ask again Where are the boxes that will allow a step up for a reasonable price....talking under $1500 for 16 in/out...

should have bought that 1" 16 track tascam when i had the chance
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2

..soo i ask again Where are the boxes that will allow a step up for a reasonable price....talking under $1500 for 16 in/out...
TRhere's ton's of better interfaces under $1500,-. But then you'd be forced to use better sofdwatre as well. And that would suck.
heh
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Limitations

OffBase? But the OldOnes talka bout the positive effect that limiting oneSelf to 4 Traks had upon Their Recorded OutPut.....Innovative WordArounds and the like

......If i have no HeadAche using one Of the many annoying X/Y Layouts....and i can Print a HiHat. faster,...

And Others Have InNane Questions like the DMV....
why would i give up that simplicity....
.......this is why i gave up P.C. more time on SpyWare...or other gibbish.....
....Just Like The DMV....

...Besides that you didn't name names....
tons?
try 4

tons you say?
G4....and i won't ever own a WinDozeBox again...

name names my friend...give us a reading list....if you keep it under a $Grand$ you get a LoLLy!!!
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant View Post
As this thread indicates, there is no small industry of people who would love to be able to convince you and the rest of us otherwise, and they fall into three catagories whose motives happen to coincide:

1) "Pro studio" proprietors and employees who don't want all the kidz with 001's to think they no longer require their services,
2) Clock & Convertor manufacturers and dealers who don't want all the kidz with 001's to think that's all they need, and
3) Former 001 owners who never forced themselves to develop the skillset on the kit which would produce pro results, and are now defensive about that towards the 001 kidz who have mastered the little baby-blue beast.

It's ironic...In the late 1980's when I was "a kid in a band," the band I was in was invited to record three songs for free at Sigma Sound Studios, in Studio One (the same room Bowie recorded Young Americans), on a Neve automated console (don't ask me which series, I wasn't a gearslut at the time) to 32-track digital tape (which is widely derided now but was considered space-age at the time). Michael Tarsia's dad owned Sigma, he worked there as an engineer, saw us play at a club, liked us, and said, "Come record at my pop's place, it's on me."

Augsberger designed live room AND control room, big fooking Neve automated console, 32 track digital tape. State Of The F&cking Art, at that time, late 80's. $3M studio. And I listen to those recordings now against the Naeemah and Chase and Kurt Guitars and Delph Conspiracy stuff on my website that I did in my crib on the 001, and there is no comparison: The 001 wins, hands down.

But we have people here posting things like, "The 001 convertors are unusable!" ARGH!!!

There is so much amazing music out there, everywhere. Go to clubs, coffee houses, open mic nights at dive bars, and you will find the most compelling talent. OK, now you have to RECORD that stuff, and REALLY do it justice. Can you do that with a 001?

And if you cannot, what makes you think you can with a Neve and a Studer?

Something to think about.

happened upon this by chance

i listen to Whitney Huston Cd's from the 80's and i am amazed how far [for better or worse ] we have come..

1. with protools you can mix forever until track is right

2, Mitsubishi x-850 --not a Studer and the converters on the first gen were HORRID..i had a sting arrange ask me why the first songs strings sounded great and the second songs sounded like synths..i said i changed nothing then realized that the first songs strings were recorded on a +6 over 185 30 ips slave reel of 2 inch and that the second was recorded on the X850

3. thanks for the comparison..to have the tracks from 20 odd years ago..pricelless

i guess i'll go sulk now with my 2 grammy's and few dozen gold and plat records
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone know how the Black Lion 001 mod sounds?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search