The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Beck Sea Change - vocal sound - what did they use ?
Old 24th June 2005
Here for the gear

Beck Sea Change - vocal sound - what did they use ?

Lately I've been listening to Beck's Sea Change CD, and really loving the vocal sound. Up front, but creamy and fat.

Does anybody know what equipment (mics, preamps, console, compressors, etc.) they used to get that sound? Ideally, I'd really like to know the exact gear they used if possible, not suggestions on how to emulate the sound.

I don't have the CD in front of me, so I can't tell you offhand where it was recorded (that would seem a logical starting point to try to pin down the equipment used). I'll try to post that info once I get my hands on the CD.

Thanks for any help!

Dio
Old 24th June 2005
Here for the gear

Ocean Way Studios

As far as I can tell, Beck Sea Change was recorded at Ocean Way Studios (California).
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

I really dig this record. Pretty smooth but great songs and tones.
Krubb
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have absolutely no idea but if I had to guess I would say U47>1073>1176 or LA2a.
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio
I have absolutely no idea but if I had to guess I would say U47>1073>1176 or LA2a.

Sounds about right stike
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Great big dreadnought guitar sounds on that record. thumbsup
I think Shakey Hormel plays some gtr on that--a fine player and, rumor has it, an heir to the Hormel chile empire.
Old 27th June 2005
Here for the gear

really bright acoutic guitar sounds

I agree, great acoustic guitar sounds on that record. But really really bright. But the vocals are not bright at all. Very warm. Makes me think they used different gear on the guitars to get that sound. Do you really think they'd use EQ to do that or capture the sound during tracking? My vote is they tracked it that way.

Dio
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Don't know if they used it on the recording, but Beck has a nice onboard pickup system on his Martin that he uses live -- Sunrise and FRAP, classic combination. Installed by Larry Cragg I believe. I often use these pickups (Trance Audio version) on recordings, can add a lot to just the mic sound.

Steve
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiorio
I agree, great acoustic guitar sounds on that record. But really really bright. But the vocals are not bright at all. Very warm. Makes me think they used different gear on the guitars to get that sound. Do you really think they'd use EQ to do that or capture the sound during tracking? My vote is they tracked it that way.Dio
I really love the way these guitars sound. I dunno, I got a '59 Gibson LG-2 that sounds very similar to what I hear on these parts, especially the slide bits. The LG-2 is a smaller bodied design and has a really amazing hi-end that records really well. I was shocked to suddendly be able to make a track work without any EQ.

As I said, I don't know what they did but i could very well imagine that they didn't use too much EQ and I guess the panning, which is pretty much hard left-right for most of the guitars, contributes also to the 'warm clarity'. The apparent brightness might also come from the fact that other sounds, especially drums, are more subdued. I love that, it's a nice retreat from the 'hit the grid' drumming that's all over the radio these days.

I used the track 'Side of the road' as a reference for a track I just produced. Beautiful silde guitar there, Smokey Hormel is a great player!
in its mood it reminds me a bit of one of my all time fave songs and productions, 'No Expectations' from the Stones 'Beggar's Banquet' album.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search