The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
intern getting dicked around by studio
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Everyone in this industry was an intern at some point. Nobody fell into their head engineering job by pure chance. So you'd think they'd have a little sympathy to those who are just getting into the business. Interns are there to learn, they want to do this job and have someone experienced show them the ropes.

Obviously an engineer can't just take someone off the street and have them sit by their side at the console 12 hours a day...manual labor around the studio is a test of mettle and it's also what needs to be done regardless of whether or not an intern is there.

But hearing stories about studios taking advantage of interns pisses me off. I'm sorry that you're so burnt out Mr. Engineer, but if you're not interested in teaching, don't lead a ****ing kid on.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I may be kinda sheepish when I say this... but I would never take on my 17-year-old self as an intern... boot him right out the door, the big-headed know-it-all crazy-with-dreams-of-grandeur kid... he can be someone else's headache...
i get enough clients like that.but they pay me to deal with that shiet. i have no patience for know-all young testosterone charged evil yutes. pain in the ass.
Old 28th May 2010
i had a similar experience. i stuck it out for awhile thinking "this is just how it is at first". i was completely and utterly wrong.

i don't feel i did anything of the sort as far as being a cocky know it all little ****. i mostly spoke when spoken too and had conversations when it was appropriate.

they had me answering phones for the studio, yet they taught me nothing about what to say to the clients. so when i said something that was stupid they got mad. well, either teach me what you want me to tell your clients, or don't have me answering your phones! im an intern! i don't know this ****!

i was also scheduled at times when not even the staff were at the studio, and i didn't have a key. i had to make 60 phone calls and ring every bell to the place and damn near kick in the doors to get in everyday. i kept getting promises of a key, until i finally, having no job, went out and bought my own ****ing key so i could get in. of which i wasn't reimbursed.

my favorite was there tech was in fixing an amp. i had expressed interest in doing tech work, i like it alot, so they brought me to meet him and showed me where he was working. "here's (whatshisface). he's the tech for the studio, the guy can fix anything. you should sit and watch him and learn everything you can. but nevermind that, we need the basement floor mopped."

they taught me how to get lunch, make coffee, sweep floors, pickup people from the train station, and take out the garbage. i drove an hour and half to this craphole 3 days a week. i slept on friends couches and worked a ****ty labor job for minimum to try and make it work, the first half i did it unemployed.

there's more! but i've made my point, my tiny violin can go back in it's case.

i can't name 5 or even one thing they taught me. i can however tell you numerous things i found out through wikipedia and trial and error.

I'm back working a manufacturing job. the money isn't great but it's steady, and I'm learning the job!

If anything further is too develop of engineering with me, it's gonna be a basement home studio outfit run by me, for sheer fun and enjoyment. I started a thread about this before going, and took the wrong advice i think. but i had to try it to see.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Addict

I would be interested to see what the original poster did, and where he is now, being 5 years since the thread started and everything that has been said since then.

(I read the first page, and the last couple, so sorry if I missed this somewhere)
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
I have nothing to prove. ... It's just a matter of getting in return what I give.
You should find something to prove!!! Everyone needs something to prove! Prove it to yourself or to the engineers. Prove your worth!!

Here's the deal man. I'd give up A LOT to have ANY kind of gig where I could watch other great guys work. Something where I could be around great gear. I learn so much just walking into a studio as a guest and watching how an engineer tweaks one mic against a guitar cab or how he uses such and such shortcut within pro tools.

You are not an intern so someone can give you anything. You're an intern so you can be around what you love and teach yourself by being a fly on the wall. Once you PROVE that you're worthy of being there, someone is bound to notice some drive and potential and invest some real time in you.

These are hard lessons man. God gave you this opportunity, right now, to learn them. Don't back down. Learn this lesson now.... you are the only one responsible for you and your future. I'm sure you know that, but act like you know it.

Go learn something and surely don't whine to a bunch of guys who have had to claw their way into their careers. After all, it's a shrinking industry and we've probably got a bit more work if you never make it! haha. Kidding. But seriously. no really, kidding
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
fuuck
Veeeery old thread, but Jules, that was freaking hillarious!!!hehhehheh
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i believe there's a way to communicate your desire to notch up your involvement and education that conveys excitement and gratitude rather than impatience and resentment.

flattery is good; no need to bull**** or schmooze, just look for the positive and accentuate it. express thanks for being given the opportunity in such a competitive field, and convey your intention to honor their investment in you.

then kick back for a couple of weeks and see. keep smiling... if nothing else, you deserve to feel good. if nothing happens, ratchet up the same approach, and finish it off with a non-demanding question: i'd love to sit in on a session and just watch what happens from behind the console, off to the side, out of the way, silently. is there anything coming up where that'd be do-able?

play it by ear. my experience is that gentle, patient persistence that is doggedly optimistic almost always wins the day. view these gatekeepers as your allies, not your enemies. look for small ways to enhance their lives and make them feel good; i know it seems like you're doing a lot of shi† already, but you gotta find ways to help *them* on a more personal level. go out of your way. that's the kind of impression that makes people want to help you in return.

generosity always comes back around. you'll get there. you're probably closer than you think. just be the coolest badass cat you can be and watch the world unfold for you.

gregoire
del ubik
Very good advice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search