The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Liquid channel and Acoustic guitars
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Focusrite Liquid channel and Acoustic guitars

I own a Liquid Channel. does anyone have any good settings they recommend for recording acoustic guitar with a condenser mic. Thanks
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

"I own a Liquid Channel"

I am sorry to hear that.. dfegad
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionmax
I own a Liquid Channel. does anyone have any good settings they recommend for recording acoustic guitar with a condenser mic. Thanks
I have heard that the LC makes a great stool if you set it up on end....just the perfect height for an acoustic player.

If not the best setting I have heard for the LC is the power 'off' setting. Sounds great that way. J/K

OK...I apologize in advance to anyone who might find my opinion offensive in the least. If you have a LC or like it...please note that my opinion is not a personal slam or slander against you ....Please continue on your way and simply ignore this as this is only one opinion. I encourage you to prove me and my opinion wrong simply by providing yourself with awesome tone and satisfaction!
This is only an Internet forum in the real world...on occasion you will hear stuff you don't like...hang in there!
All gear is subjective to the user and all I can hope for is that you are inspired enough to create great music as that is ultimately the goal.

P&B...
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene

If not the best setting I have heard for the LC is the power 'off' setting. Sounds great that way.

P&B...

rofl. heh heh heh
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman
"I own a Liquid Channel"

I am sorry to hear that.. dfegad
Original and helpful. What more can you want.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Heyman and Rodney, very useful information. Is it really impossible for you to get a decent acoustic guitar sound out of that box? How and when do you use it? Forgive me my ignorance, I never heard one.

btw, if I couldn't get a decent acoustic guitar sound, say with a mackie, I could quit my job.

Andreas
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G
Heyman and Rodney, very useful information. Is it really impossible for you to get a decent acoustic guitar sound out of that box? How and when do you use it? Forgive me my ignorance, I never heard one.
Andreas...my answer was two-fold actually.

1. I don't have one and I don't use one, nor would I buy one. I am a fan of Focusrite in general but the LC is a real turd IMHO. I have only been witness while an engineer buddy of mine spent an hour trying to get a BASIC vocal tone using a RE20. Everything sounded either thin, boomy or plastic (with an RE20!). Honestly we thought the unit was defective. It was OK at best.
It is the digital gimic of the year IMO.

2. A preset for a 'good' acoustic guitar sound? Oh yea...with a 'condensor mic'?That in itself is a joke question coming from anybody who spent $4000 on a pre-amp...

It isn't possible to educate someone on how to achieve a great acoustic sound with a preset, much less by answering a post. It is a ludicrous (and therefore funny) question.
I could have done what most have chosen to do which is just ignore the post and it's absurdity...but instead I felt like having some fun...

NO harm intended...no offense meant to anyone in the least...just cracked me up a little.

Peace and Blessings,
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Rodney,

thanks for posting and clarifing, I've got you in all points.

peace

Andreas
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I just bought a gibson les paul. Can you tell me how to bend a whole step?
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

passionmax,

I've noticed recently, that if somebody asks a straightforward question about an 'unpopular' piece of equipment - people just take this as an excuse to just slag off the gear being asked about, ignoring the original question. Its like a pack of vultures feeding. Helpful in the extreme (not).

I'm guessing that many (most) haven't actually heard a liquid channel (i haven't). It might be brilliant or it might be crap (in my opinion its certainly an interesting concept - and one which will develop and possibly very important in years to come - just look back at the history of all digital gear) BUT lets just try and at least be helpful.

What kind of mic are you using ? - if the liquid channel is so bad can you switch the processing out of circuit and just use the mic-pre electronics ? I find acoustic guitars to be quite sensitive to the room - you tend to need some nearby reflective surface (floor ?) to give it a bit of life............etc

Sorry for the rant but it seems that there is an increasing number of these types of negative posts from such a simple question.

PS I don't like Les Pauls so I don't think you should be playing any notes at all on it...never mind bending them too ! you should have bought a telecaster...you can bend notes on them great. Does that help ?

(PPS i'm a grumpy sod)

si

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search