The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
705 Without Backing or 703 With Backing for Bass Traps?
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

705 Without Backing or 703 With Backing for Bass Traps?

This will be for corner bass traps only.
Also, what is the most preferred thickness for corner traps? 2", 4"? I have available to me either, 2" 705 with no backing, or 703 2" with backing.

I've read tons on this, but haven't ran across an answer to this exact question.

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

the backing will only reflect high end. If you already have lots of midrange and high end absorbtion, then you should consider keeping the backing on. If not then you should probably take it off. Also it peels off easily.

705 is preferred for bass traps because it is denser the 703.

Coverage is more important than thickness. ie. 12 3" sheets of 705 is more effective than 6 6" sheets in a room.

if you have access to both 703 and 705 buy both. use 705 for corners and use 703 for walls. 703 is more effective at absorbing high frequency content. Use it to block direct reflections.

build as many as possible out of 705.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs
I've read tons on this, but haven't ran across an answer to this exact question.

I'm surprised you haven't come across this: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics....rglass%20traps

Ethan's recommendation is 4" 705 with backing.
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=qtuner]the backing will only reflect high end. ...QUOTE]

it also increases the amount of low end absorbition.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

I realize that 4" 705 with backing is ideal for this purpose, but that just isn't available from the place where I can get it locally. It's either 703 with backing, or 705 without backing.

I'm just wondering if the backing on the 703 would bring it up to par with the unbacked 705 for this purpose?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs
I realize that 4" 705 with backing is ideal for this purpose, but that just isn't available from the place where I can get it locally. It's either 703 with backing, or 705 without backing.

I'm just wondering if the backing on the 703 would bring it up to par with the unbacked 705 for this purpose?

Thanks for the replies!
Every studio I know of uses 703 for everything. The specs on 703, 706 has been around for decades and 703 is the best overall performer. Depth is the main goal as far as low frequency absoption goes.
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Guru

Higgs,

> It's either 703 with backing, or 705 without backing. <

Best is 4 inches of 705 with the paper backing facing the room. If you can get only 2-inch material, in either of the above, I'd use 705 without the paper backing. If you can get some of each, get 703 with the backing, 705 without, and place them adjacent in a sandwich so the 703 with backing faces the room and the 705 is behind that. In all cases you want the panels 4 inches thick. Two inches is not thick enough for corner bass traps.

Here's a short article that will either enlighten you or confuse you further:

www.ethanwiner.com/density/density.html

--Ethan
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Ethan, your article enlightened me for sure.
Thanks heaps!

Michael
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Guru

Michael,

> your article enlightened me for sure. <

Cool. If you liked that one, you might also like this one:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

--Ethan
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the help everybody!

I really like the 705/703 sandwich idea. A great way to make the most out of what I have available.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search