The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Carver PM 1.5 as monitor amp
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Nut

Carver PM 1.5 as monitor amp

I have an old Carver PM 1.5 and was wondering if anyone had thoughts about its suitability as a studio monitor amp to power some nearfields. Yay or nay?
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

last try....
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Guru

Yes. I have 2 Carver amps running monitor speakers.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

I say "yay". I use a Carver TFM-6C to power my rear speakers in the 5.1 system. I did a real time analizing test on the Carver, and it put out a very flat response, with no eq adjustments needed. Sound quality ?? Very good, your mileage may vary, but I'd say at least try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'll vote "nay", without the slightest hesitation. I've used PM-1.5's fairly extensively for live PA (both FOH & monitors) and I've always been underwhelmed by the sound of these power amps. (I've always been tempted to show up w/ a Carver PM-1.5 to one of those double-blind ABX challenges held by so-called "objectivists" who claim all power amplifiers are sonically indistinguishable. But I digress...)

In my experience, when compared to a Crown or Crest amp of equivalent power, the Carver is "mushier", with a slower transient attack (less "slam") and softer bass. And this is not a subtle difference. Given that, it would be one of my last choices for a critical studio monitoring application.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

I've got a Carver 2.0t, the PM1.5's big daddy. Sounds like absolute ****e in the control room, works for driving wedges in the tracking room on occasion. Used it on a third set of nearfields once, great incentive for me to pick up a second hand Parasound instead. Cannot stress enough how unsuited these orignal Carver switchers were for critical listening.

Oh, but YMMV...
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

2 yay, 2 nay - not looking good. I'll give it a listen but it's time to buy a power amp me thinks....
Old 10th August 2010
Here for the gear

I just did a salvage job on an abandon restaurant which had a DJ booth in the basement. I found 4 Carver power amps of which only one a PM 1.5 worked. I put it in my monitor system and it is about half as powerful as the Alesis it replaced. I'm underwhelmed but free is a very good price. I expect it to fail shortly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search