The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do I install HD in EMU e6400 Ultra? HELP...
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Head

How do I install HD in EMU e6400 Ultra? HELP...

Any one can send me a pictured insruction please?
where do I find the bloody cables for it?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Here's a place you
can get help

ruudman
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Addict

greetings,
you have to order a kit from emu. it contains a cable and mounting bracket. it's what i did.
regards,
tf
Old 26th June 2005
Rab
KMR Audio

Yep... as above. For an IDE drive you need a 6303 mounting kit - includes IDE cable, power molex and screws/washers. If you're popping in a SCSI drive you need a 6301 kit. I still kind of miss my E6400... just couldn't be doing with the arcane disk management anymore :-(
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

I've got E4k, amazingly good sampler.
Will never sell it.

ruudman
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident fan
greetings,
you have to order a kit from emu. it contains a cable and mounting bracket. it's what i did.
regards,
tf
i tried many times contacting emu about e6400 ultra and all i get is " we dont suppored that anymore" ****...
anyway, i just did it myself and works fine.

can you beleive EMU went down so low after being taken over? all they produce now is cheep plastic...
recently i was interested in "proteus X" and it ONLY works with its own sound card which is 2 I/O. so im supposed to get rid off my high end 8 I/O DA/AD to use proteus X? it's just stupid man. how many studios you know using 2 I/O anyway?
according to them you'll get a conflict combaning it with other sound card. and you cant even experiment as once the box is open you cant return it. how the hell are they planning to sell that item?

Chio "real" EMU. was a pleasure knowing you...
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

I kept my G4 around just so I could do scsi transfers back and forth.... ha ha.... SCSI thats so 1994.....My e6400 doesn't like heat though.......... sometimes if its too hot it just won't boot up gives me a real scare,,,,,
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

emu blows now. all i can do is look around for discs on ebay
scsi still rocks, just ask my radar 24 fuuck
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBob
I kept my G4 around just so I could do scsi transfers back and forth.... ha ha.... SCSI thats so 1994.....My e6400 doesn't like heat though.......... sometimes if its too hot it just won't boot up gives me a real scare,,,,,
Funny seing this topic; I was just thinking about all this today.

Do you or anyone know of a USB to SCSI adapter that works on a G5/OSX? I've not found one yet; only ones that work on OS9x and backwards. I'm really, really wanting to get rid of my old G3, but keep it for the reason you said.

Also, if I remember correctly, doesn't the 6400 only recognize and format up to 1gig HDs? Or was it even only 500meg? Anyone had luck putting in something bigger?

Boy I sure wish I'd upgraded my 6400 when Emu was still supporting it. That thing has been my bread and butter for so long. Agreed with Ruudman: never selling it!
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k
Funny seing this topic; I was just thinking about all this today.

Do you or anyone know of a USB to SCSI adapter that works on a G5/OSX? I've not found one yet; only ones that work on OS9x and backwards. I'm really, really wanting to get rid of my old G3, but keep it for the reason you said.

Also, if I remember correctly, doesn't the 6400 only recognize and format up to 1gig HDs? Or was it even only 500meg? Anyone had luck putting in something bigger?

Boy I sure wish I'd upgraded my 6400 when Emu was still supporting it. That thing has been my bread and butter for so long. Agreed with Ruudman: never selling it!
i have 20Gb in my e6400 ultra and works PERFECT. donno why i never did this before.
mine is a legular IDE (not SCSI) HD. I know a guy who even plased IDE and SCSI HDs 20 Gb each and was happy with it. i donno if id do that as emu is not built for that. riscky... stike

LOVE my EMU even tho the market makes many users to move on but im still with it. been the only sound sorce in my studio and i make my living out of it fuuck

EMU tec supprt? SUCKS
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Rizing
i have 20Gb in my e6400 ultra and works PERFECT. donno why i never did this before.
mine is a legular IDE (not SCSI) HD.
Cool!

Did you have to buy any additional hardware to mount the drive or could you just pull the old one and swap it right in?

No formatting problems? And how did you copy all your old banks to the new drive? Saved on an external drive (I've used Jaz drives for years) and then transferred back?

Cheers!
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

i have a 20 g ide installed, but i used the emu kit. i agree with tj about the sound quality. it's popular for software geeks to slam though
regards,
tf
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

I installed a 20GB IDE drive without the EMU kit. Take a good look at the power cable, I seem to remember it was sort of non-standard IDE....maybe that´s what the EMU kit is for.

Stein Tore
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k
Cool!

Did you have to buy any additional hardware to mount the drive or could you just pull the old one and swap it right in?

No formatting problems? And how did you copy all your old banks to the new drive? Saved on an external drive (I've used Jaz drives for years) and then transferred back?

Cheers!
i just screwd the HD to the frame just like the Floppy drive is. it's actually right next to the floppy drive so just do the same.

formatting took 2 sec and done. amazing...
i still kept my jaz and zip drives for back up but all you have to do is load and save on HD. simple

PS. oh yeah, one VERY important thing. the power cable from HD to motherboard is a funny one as the socket on the M/Board is not a standart one and i couldnt find it anywhere. So heree's what I did.

Get a power cable with one end for the HD (standart) and the other end for Floppy (standart) connection.
Now! the floppy end is a bit big fo the M/board connector so trim it a bit with a sharp nife.
Then the wires HAVE to be swithched in the order from 1,2,3,4 to 4,3,2,1 (pull out using a small screw driver). As if you'd fliped the connector as EMU M/Board connection oreder is noth the same as the HD.
Have Fun

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search