The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ways for clients to pay
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Head

Ways for clients to pay

I've always been a cash or cheque kind of studio here but I'm finding more and more people are expecting to be able to pay using debit or credit cards etc.
I am really in the dark ages?
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

They can use their credit cards with Paypal, and there is no need to have an account either.

Of course you get hit with the Paypal charge. You can deal with that in whatever way you find appropriate. I myself don't add it to the recording charge. I feel like a jerk asking for an extra 3% when they are paying me in a very reliable way, not to mention immediately. But that's another discussion...
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Guru

Paypal is a neat way but add 3 % to the bill.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

You know, I refuse to pay extra for someone's service/stuff because they are getting the easy, reliable service of Paypal. You certainly don't see Wal-Mart adding a little 1-2% tax for credit card fees. It's part of the business.

Let me add a footnote that yes, sometimes Paypal sucks (they held my money once for a couple weeks on an ebay sale) but on the whole, they provide a very good service and protection for both buyers and sellers. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the days of payment with Money Orders and Cashier's Checks.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Addict

if you're doing $100 worth of work, that 3% doesn't mean much. But you start getting up on full-scale projects, and you're starting to eat hundreds of dollars.

That may not mean much to you - but it does to some.

Plus, even small work, over a year, can add up to quite a bit lost in fees.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Here's an easy way for any gearslut to accept credit card payments:

1. Find your favorite gear on Mercenary or Sweetwater website

2. Add item to cart

3. Tell them to input their CC info.

4. Once they receive the box, they bring it to you-- the recording is paid for.

NO REFUNDS!
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Maniac

$4,000 bill. 3%=$120. If you don't mind eating that $120 then don't charge it. To me, that $120 is worth me telling them it's 3% extra to pay through paypal. Have you ever looked into getting a credit card machine? The fees are ridiculous! Especially if you only use it a few times a month...
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Paypal has a paid-account thing that makes you pay a certain yearly rate but the 3% fee is knocked down to 1% or something.

So if you are using it that much there is that option.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear
Ever since I started using Google checkout 99% of my clients pay using it. I love it.

I think they charge 2.5 percent or thereabouts. Personally, I don't ADD that to their bill, that's idiotic. If I hired a session musician or an outside studio or whatever, and they say I can pay via credit/debit card if I pay a few percent more, I'm going to look at them like an idiot - it's just unprofessional.

Besides, it's convenient for me as well. If I get cash, then I have to actually go to the bank - and this isn't even an option with long-distance clients. If I accept a check, then I have to worry about it bouncing... and I STILL have to take it to the bank and then WAIT for the bank to process it. Ugh.

Not to mention, I know for a fact people have hired me when they didn't quite have the cash since they could charge it. That's work I would have lost adn that's WAY more than a few percent.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Ever since I started using Google checkout 99% of my clients pay using it. I love it.

I think they charge 2.5 percent or thereabouts. Personally, I don't ADD that to their bill, that's idiotic. If I hired a session musician or an outside studio or whatever, and they say I can pay via credit/debit card if I pay a few percent more, I'm going to look at them like an idiot - it's just unprofessional.

Besides, it's convenient for me as well. If I get cash, then I have to actually go to the bank - and this isn't even an option with long-distance clients. If I accept a check, then I have to worry about it bouncing... and I STILL have to take it to the bank and then WAIT for the bank to process it. Ugh.

Not to mention, I know for a fact people have hired me when they didn't quite have the cash since they could charge it. That's work I would have lost adn that's WAY more than a few percent.
it may not be something you do - but to call others idiotic for it is well...idiotic.

if you work on small scale projects, it may not be that big of a deal for you. But personally, I'm not going to eat hundreds in fees. If they want to pay that way, which is also convenient for THEM - they're going to have to pony up the difference.

I always prefer cash anyway.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Yes, that was pretty harsh
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Use iban and bic of your bus. Account!!!

Normally I like cash too but I also do it via international bank wire transfer via IBAN and BIC.

If they don't pay they wont get their files.
No need for credit cards or anything like this what brings people in debt trouble.

They can wire the money direct from everywhere in the world to your account. No transfer amount nothing to pay for you.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

fyi regarding fees
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...de#fees-policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Sucks
4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I wonder if you could reverse that and simply offer a "cash discount" and then PayPal, or any other CC would pay the "standard" fee.

Gas stations do it...
Old 20th January 2009
I prefer clients to pay in either drugs or sex (ladies only).

J/K.

Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

If the clients a very hot little minx Im sure we could work something out
Old 20th January 2009

I put in a CC machine here about 10 years ago and it has worked out well. The extra work that you tend to get because you take plastic more than makes up for the expenses. I pay a minimum of $25 every month and the approx. 2.85% fee on each transaction goes against that $25 min. So if I do no CC jobs in a month I still pay $25 but if I do enough CC work to have the fees add up to $25 that is still the fee. Paypal may be a better deal overall due to the min fees but I still find it a money making proposition.
I don't pass the fees on to the client, I charge a fairly hefty hourly fee as it is and I try to avoid "nickel and diming" my clients.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Maniac

If they use a big amp or a bunch of old keyboards do you charge them more for the extra electric?

This is just part of doing business here.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
I prefer clients to pay in either drugs or sex (ladies only).

J/K.

heh
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Addict

Do not use Paypal. I just got screwed by them for over $3000 in studio time and CD duplication services.
The story is a bit complicated but basically My customer told his credit card company that he didn't know who we were and that he didn't do any work here.
My customers credit card co. disputed the charge with paypal and Paypal had to side with the credit card company that my customer funded his Paypal account with. These charges went through and were complete (all money was in my account and couldn't be more safe and complete) and then a month later all the money was gone.
Bottom line and this is from PAYPAL. Paypal does not protect the seller when it is a services transaction. (such as Studio time/ services) so definately do not use paypal for this type of payment, there is no security for you at all, only the buyer gets the security and even when they are totally in the wrong Paypal has to support them.
I always used and trusted paypal but after this i will never use them again they are total bulls..t.
Paypal told me that unless my customer calls his credit card company and admits that the charges he disputed were accurate i will lose this dispute and that is exactly what happened. So I did $3000 worth of work for this little prick and now i owe paypal $3000.
F..K Them, they didn't help or protect me at all. They say this type of thing happens all the time and that was supposed to make me feel better.
Now i have to take this customer to court and collecting the cash from him will be nearly impossible.

best wishes
Magnet

dfegadPAYPAL
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

That sucks big time.

Good reason to go the CC route is that most CC carriers side w/vendor 99% of time. For example if you had an invoice for cds w/homeboys address on it and his signature, amex would told this dude to suck it.

Sounds like you need an uncle vinny type to go do some collections
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Only thing about the PayPal personal is that U can only withdraw $500 per month so thatz where the Business acct. comes in...I use it all the time & have on my Pricing list & all proposals that if paid via CC that a 3% charge is incurred... No one has had a problem with that as they read it from the beginning; Most of the time I get Cashier's Checks (No personals which I'm sure that would be most of our policy-I guess)... But PayPal has really worked well for me..I have 3 accts...heh
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Addict
I usually have to pay people to come record with me
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli_W View Post
I usually have to pay people to come record with me
Old 20th January 2009
I had a hand held CC machine connected to the studios phone line.

It was awesome when it was raining and no one wanted to out to go get cash and one goof ball band member forgot to bring his share etc.. It could all get put on one or two credit cards and they could fight about it between themselves later...!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search