The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best "bang for the buck" upgrade
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Addict

Best "bang for the buck" upgrade

Hiya gang
I've been mixing Indi records around town for a little while now on my trusty 001/ G4 1.25 but have just been aproached by a major label band to have a go at mixing their next single (the big one I've been waiting for )
I think this warrants an upgrade but cash is tight at the moment and there's no budget for the mix.
I'm going to get the URS A+N series eq's (rent to own ) and I'm tossing up between a UAD-1 card mainly for the compression(which means stepping up to OSX ) or a 2 channel D/A converter (Mytek, Benchmark)
Also thinking about getting a second hand outboard reverb to save processing power, I don't wanna have to process files as I'm going.
What do you think is going to offer the best result?
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

As I said elsewhere, the URS EQ's is a great idea, as is the UAD.
Getting a better D/A if you're mixing in the box, isn't really goignt o amke your mixes better.
The other 2 upgrades will.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

You could go for two UAD cards, since the EMT plate reverb is my fave virtual reverb. Obviously, see if you like it first!
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks Henchman and Max, I realise this is where my other thread was heading but since that was strictly asking about the UAD card and circumstances have changed, I thought it would be appropriate to start a new one here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search