The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's got a Fulcrom and what's your impression?
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Who's got a Fulcrom and what's your impression?

Anyone? Thanks,
Tim
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Guru

I don't do impressions but I like my Folcrom and Gearslutz "search" function.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Any other recent opinions.....it seems you pay for different features.....till you practically have a board.....the fulcrom seems a cheap way to jump in and try it.....the issues of gain staging PT for optimum bus headroom seems like it will be a never ending debate.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

bump
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I think Kenny was suggesting that you run a Gearslutz search for "Folcrom" as this has been discussed elsewhere.

The Folcrom was a great investment for my studio. Happy to have the option to go OTB. I've been using API512c's to bring them back up to line level and am very happy with the results. Most noticeable on dense rock mixes (in my opinion).

Jim
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Guru

The folcrom rules..
especially if you want get you're feet wet with summing solution for low $[7 bills] W/ youre existing pre's
I am now knee deep in much more expensive mixing options..
It's a sickness I tell you
stike
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Jim-
I did read through old posts on the Fulcrom. It left me empty and undecided like the new Coldplay record. lol Know I'll have to get the 11 space api rack for a couple 512's.....what a good excuse...it'll leave room for 2 550's

Roundbadge-
There seems to be so much debate about summing....people using different mixers...ie...soundcraft, Neotek and midas.....on top of this everyone is getting it from the DAW nerds that were gain staging wrong...colloaspsing the the mix...don't get levels too hot....recently I went out of PT into my 384..to my masterlink sounded a little wider and fatter....and louder......I tried using the Sony compressor to simulate that glue I'd gottten...came close but was like a 7.5 out of 10. I thought i was out of my mind listening to stuff I'd done on adats with a soundcraft board 6 years ago...there was more punch. I guess I'm wondering if it's my inabilty to grasp mixing in ITB...you know...the technique of it. The kicker is that I only have a 192 with 8 analog outs....but I do have Producers recommendations for these out s from a previous post. If I grab the Folcrom...would you guys go with 312's or Daking or tube tech pre's.....Peace
Tim
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Guru

Tim ... sorry time is limited....mixing..good excuse to break.. yahoo!
Yeah I sure know what youre sayin..
Some stuff I did 12 years on DA 88's through a mackie 8 bus still holds up suprisingly well..and some of that shhit tranfered into pt sounded worse itb..
I'm used to consoles and I find ITB frustrating..But a console just ain't practical anymore for me...and believe me I've been REALLY trying with the ITB thing..
gain staging is second nature for me ..so that ain't a prob..and I don't slam levels into the computer
my simple definition is: one sounds 2-D mush and the other sounds 3-D punch
kinda like hearing the diff between average converters and great ones
I do find w/ ITB, that coming out and into two good stereo converters[Lavry's in my case]into a comp/eq really helps things out..
Ive been doing quick on the fly ref mixes this week for a record in progress for the guitar player/ band leader out into a Thermionic culture Phoenix comp to a manley MP to 2 Pultecs ,back to PT and I've been really suprised how good it sounds
absolutely plug in free[No L2 or sony oxford,URS crap on the buss...Double Yuck!that stuff sounds really shiity to me lately]

The folcrom will give you a real good taste of the OTB thing..It does help ..no doubt.
Mic Pre wise... ones I own and used:
..Dakings are very aggresive and bright to sum through..not my 1st choice..
the API's sound good ..but not for everything..
The TT's I don't know about
Helio's ...cool pre's .. but Nah ...too dark overall for a mix...
the Neve 1084's were cool but a tad dark for some stuff and I'd rather not eq at the pre although you can if you need to.
The Wunder PEQ-1's worked real well..punchy and more transparent
The Aurora GTQ-2 worked well also.. ..more color but more open than the neves
it seems to me the slightly more transparent ones allow more for dense mixes..
I like that...
Although I could see the TG-2's could be great for simple 2 guitar, bass, drums rock stuff [ Kenny uses that to great effect]
I only have 1 TG channel so I haven't tried that route..
as far as rack mixers: the API 8200 sounded very good but couldn't match the real 3288 console for depth and headroom
The TG was a dissapointment[I still think it was broken out of the box,had it for weeks]terrible headroom ..Had nice sparkle but it couldn't match the API for size, low end and punch ,especially on rock.
checking the Nicerrizer 16 today,I like it better than the TG AND the API,folcrom,etc and the thing is relatively cheap ..$2300. bucks. ..sounds like a good console [although the stereo width knob thing sounds wierd]

anyways ..back to work!
Later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML

Roundbadge-
There seems to be so much debate about summing....people using different mixers...ie...soundcraft, Neotek and midas.....on top of this everyone is getting it from the DAW nerds that were gain staging wrong...colloaspsing the the mix...don't get levels too hot....recently I went out of PT into my 384..to my masterlink sounded a little wider and fatter....and louder......I tried using the Sony compressor to simulate that glue I'd gottten...came close but was like a 7.5 out of 10. I thought i was out of my mind listening to stuff I'd done on adats with a soundcraft board 6 years ago...there was more punch. I guess I'm wondering if it's my inabilty to grasp mixing in ITB...you know...the technique of it. The kicker is that I only have a 192 with 8 analog outs....but I do have Producers recommendations for these out s from a previous post. If I grab the Folcrom...would you guys go with 312's or Daking or tube tech pre's.....Peace
Tim
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Addict

RoundBadge, how would you compare the Nicerizer 16 to the other summing boxes that you tried (TG, API, Folcrom) : color, headroom, punch .... ?

Did you try the Mixdream ?
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid
RoundBadge, how would you compare the Nicerizer 16 to the other summing boxes that you tried (TG, API, Folcrom) : color, headroom, punch .... ?

Did you try the Mixdream ?
Havent tried the SPL.
Although it's only been a day..the N-16 is the best one Ive heard ..so far.. Nevey smooth & Hi Fi but you can color it up nicely by pushing it [go figure ...shouldn't be too much of a surpise]
Used it today on indie/pixies/weezeresque rock with a great chick singer .. in this chain:
PT 96K- N-16 to Manley MP - thermionic Phoenix comp- 2 pultec Eqh 2's- Lavry's to PT...nice Harmonics on the 2b when pushed.
headroom is pretty darn good.
best low end so far.. solid..closest to a good console I've heard yet.
Once I spend a bit more time with it and run it at the API desk ,I'll have a better idea..
but yeah..the thing definately made the mixing quick and fun today[3 songs]..and it took the EQ on the back end really well..even the Manley's hi's were usable.
Really un****terizes cymbals..
will probably make a great subm for Keys and loops.
Although the stereo width knob is weird...bass gets funky/thin and level drops a couple db..bypassed it....and the ch 3 +8 db switch is bad.it's a proto right?
don't matter ...the thing sounds real good otherwise.
Still waiting to give the Aurora a good workout[Very High hopes..even still. a YEAR later]
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search