The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I need SUM? For you guys who mix ITB and OTB...
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Going into what? If it's going into the A/D's, turn down the pre-amp.
Or if you have a pre-eq type of thing, turn down the output. Or turn down your buss sends from the console, etc etc etc.

If you mean going into the plug-in, you'll have to bring down the fader. A lot of plug-in's don't have an input trim. If your sending to an fx plug on an aux track, turn down the send from the source channel.
If Im not mistaken, from what I've read in this forum you want to track as hot as possible.....then mix with all the tracks down -6 or -8 dB.

Turning the preamp down would defeat the purpose..

-s0nguy
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy
If Im not mistaken, from what I've read in this forum you want to track as hot as possible.....then mix with all the tracks down -6 or -8 dB.

Turning the preamp down would defeat the purpose..

-s0nguy

I don't track as hot as possible, and find it seems to sound a bit better. I'm using 192's

I think tracking as hot as possible is an overglorified myth. There's no need to....
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
If you mean going into the plug-in, you'll have to bring down the fader. A lot of plug-in's don't have an input trim.
Actually that won't work, as most plugins are prefader. In Protools, look in your plugins list under "other" and you will find Trim. Put this as the first plugin on all your tracks.

-R
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
In Protools, look in your plugins list under "other" and you will find Trim. Put this as the first plugin on all your tracks.
in PTLE, i've got Trim for mono tracks, but not stereo. what do you guys do for that?
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20
in PTLE, i've got Trim for mono tracks, but not stereo. what do you guys do for that?
It's under 'multi mono'. So you can unlink it and trim one side different from another.
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy
when i track in PTLE, i try to keep the signal in the middle third of the meter range. like RKrizman, i find i get better results, especially once all those tracks start piling up.

i've also started using fewer plugs in general, and things are sounding better.
Old 6th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharp
It's under 'multi mono'. So you can unlink it and trim one side different from another.
ah. thanks.
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually that won't work, as most plugins are prefader. In Protools, look in your plugins list under "other" and you will find Trim. Put this as the first plugin on all your tracks.

-R

That's what I meant

Thanks
Old 7th October 2005
Get some Trim

Quote:
In Protools, look in your plugins list under "other" and you will find Trim. Put this as the first plugin on all your tracks.
Thanks! I always wanted to know how to use ProTools to get some Trim..
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Nut

So what if I use only floating point plugins throughout? Does that make any difference in the whole inter-sample peak scenario? Should I still trim levels before hitting the plugin? I'm assuming floating point plugs can still output an illegal signal, right?
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyLA
So what if I use only floating point plugins throughout? Does that make any difference in the whole inter-sample peak scenario? Should I still trim levels before hitting the plugin? I'm assuming floating point plugs can still output an illegal signal, right?
i would still trim the channel audio by 6-8dB regardless. it doesn't affect you at all, and will make a difference if you happen to run into a non floating point plug by mistake.
Old 23rd October 2005
Gear Head

PARIS still seems to have the best summing/mixing. Push them up into the red and get that analog punch. Great piece of "vintage" gear to have.

Matt Barber
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

is there a pt TRIM plug equivalent in Logic Express 7.1? just curious...
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandbox
PARIS still seems to have the best summing/mixing. Push them up into the red and get that analog punch. Great piece of "vintage" gear to have.

Matt Barber
I've mentioned Paris here a number of times, but no one seems to care ...in fact, BrianT was here recently (I know he was a big Paris user), and I asked him about it but he vanished...

all these other DAWs are crumbling because of intersample peaks and whatever other reasons...

so people are spending thousands on summing boxes and sticking meters between every plugin...

meanwhile, in Paris, you can apparently push Paris into the red...and the summing is great, no need for external boxes...

just seems weird that Paris has/had the answer...

or did it?
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11
I've mentioned Paris here a number of times, but no one seems to care ...in fact, BrianT was here recently (I know he was a big Paris user), and I asked him about it but he vanished...

all these other DAWs are crumbling because of intersample peaks and whatever other reasons...

so people are spending thousands on summing boxes and sticking meters between every plugin...

meanwhile, in Paris, you can apparently push Paris into the red...and the summing is great, no need for external boxes...

just seems weird that Paris has/had the answer...

or did it?

Ok, I'll admit...I have no idea what "Paris" is. What is it?
You obviously dig it...Please tell me why.
Old 24th October 2005
I´m reading all I can, and I´ll do some tests soon to hear the difference... somethings are still not clear to me, but...
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
Ok, I'll admit...I have no idea what "Paris" is. What is it?
You obviously dig it...Please tell me why.
Paris is a DAW from, errr, last century...unfortunately, it's defunct...but many still use it (there's a forum somewhere).

The disadvantages are many...no midi (to speak of), no delay compensation, no Vsti, and on and on...

but the big advantage (maybe*) is the good sound, the ability to push the DAW like an analog console, no need for a summing box...plus, you can buy it cheap...

here's a link:

PARIS

*I say maybe, because maybe the people who think Paris is better are completely insane ...on the other hand, if Paris is better, or has the answer to all this summing crap, seems like it should be of interest, what with all the pages and pages devoted to 32bit float this and intersample that...
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
but the big advantage (maybe*) is the good sound, the ability to push the DAW like an analog console, .
And how could that be? Nobody has ever had any sort of explanation as to how "pushing" a DAW algorithm would magically give you some sort of analog sound.

Certainly that magic bullet would be worth a lot now, and I can't imagine the Paris copyright holders allowing it to die with that platform.

BTW, I'm fairly sure Brian T is a Protools guy now.

-R
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

paris sample

well I'm no pro that is for sure...

and I'm not saying Paris is better that any other daw...

but the FACT is this song was recorded and mixed on Paris w/ lots of ren comp and ren eq.

also some very nice outboard stuff and great mics and pres.

and Roscoe the A.E. is very good!!! won best studio in town in 2004

I sat and watched him light that thing up into the red constantly!!! scary as hell.

he had a disstressor and I asked him about the fatso...

he said "screw that I've got 64 channel's of em' built in"

anyway we were happy with the sound's we got for sure.

check it out.

shoot I almost forgot...

this was done in 16 bit!!!!

next time,
jfg
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

What a great tune! And great production!

However, on my monitors it's very distorted. Is that poor mp3 encoding or is that the "Paris effect"?

I do like it, though.

-R
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
And how could that be? Nobody has ever had any sort of explanation as to how "pushing" a DAW algorithm would magically give you some sort of analog sound.

Certainly that magic bullet would be worth a lot now, and I can't imagine the Paris copyright holders allowing it to die with that platform.

BTW, I'm fairly sure Brian T is a Protools guy now.

-R
Yeah, I don't know how that could be. And I've never ever seen any real explanation but I have seen the comment made over and over by the Paris users. So either there is something to it....or....Paris came with a healthy supply of Koolaid.

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with chip on the card, and not the software per se, or maybe some sort of combination...

The Paris creators are still in business, haven't given up supposedly...really unfortunate...you could buy a full blown Paris system with money left over for the price of a summing box.
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Paris creators are still in business, haven't given up supposedly...really unfortunate...you could buy a full blown Paris system with money left over for the price of a summing box.
Well there ya go. Why argue when the solution is readily at hand?

-R
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well there ya go. Why argue when the solution is readily at hand?

-R
Yeah, I dunno...people like to argue?

I think this whole summing thing is some kind of OCD.....
Old 27th October 2005
Gear Nut

Just wondering but...what's the deal with having to use a "trim plugin"? Does pro tools not have trim knobs on each channel?
Old 27th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wondering but...what's the deal with having to use a "trim plugin"? Does pro tools not have trim knobs on each channel?

Nope.
Old 27th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
They do if you put them there.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search