The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
So how bad is smoke for mic's, really?
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Head

So how bad is smoke for mic's, really?

I have a really stupid question here. I'm going to be doing some live recordings in smoky bars. I'm just curious if I should opt for the cheap Behringer ECM8000's I have instead of my better CAD E300's (which I'd rather use b/c of the pad). How bad is smoke for condensers, really? Does it leave a nasty film on the element?
Old 23rd June 2005
chikkenguy
have you ever been in the car of someone who smokes alot? know that haziness that is on their windshield that you can never wipe off? cigarettes have tar in them and you can bet that tar will stick to everything it can.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Is the smoke the secret why those tracks from the 70's had that "thick and fat" sound"?.....
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Some chemical in cigarette smoke softens some plastics (in particular, PVC) - it might lengthen the useable lifetime of the original M7 capsule in the U47. That is, if the accumulation of crud doesn't attract humidity and short out the capsule...
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

If you are truly interested, I would do a search on PSW in Mr. Heyne's area.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search