The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording MPC tracks...
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks...

Can you help me out with this one? I know you didn't write it, but can you tell me what you think he meant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams
You don't need a 16 channel AD converter, however a simple patchbay might make life easier if want carry on using your mixer, but bypass it when recording into the 2 channel AD converter.
Besides using 2 channel converter (I know you think it's better to record all tracks in one pass), how would using a patchbay allow me to use the mixer, but bypass when recording? I thought bypassing means not using, but SW said it would let me keep using it ....
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmotr
Since you have your MPC as master, do you still use the "trick" or recording 16 bars of an 8 bar loop, erasing the first 8 bars and copying and pasting the second 8 bars? The first 8 bars were just an extra time for the MPC and software to sync up

No, because one of the reasons i got the mpc was because it's much easier to program fills and variations on it than a computer.

What i'm doing now is using the computer program to control the MPC while writing. That way, i can hear the bass, instruments, vocals, loops, etc. When i hear a place where a fill would go, i write it in to the MPC...

then, i flip modes

once i get all the drum trax done the way i want, i use the mpc as master and record them, 2 at a time, thru my Neve preamp/DI...

u can check your sync by playing the whole sequence again, and seeing if your MPC tracks phase w. the ones you've recorded..

then, i go back and make sure the rest of the trax sync up to the drums, then record whatever live instruments into the computer...
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks soultrane....

Can you guys help me understand the patchbay use Steamy Williams wrote about?

It'd be much appreciated.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

If you dont feel like messing with grids or syncing why dont you just dump the entire midi file into a computer sequencer like logic PT over the 32 channels of the MPC (or is it 16 on the 60?) and then just record the tracks two at a time. No delays. Set the grid later and then just move the audio as a group to ontop of the grid.

late
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Nut

Switchcraft, I'm new to all this stuff and have never heard of this method. Could describe it in more detail?

I don't think I understand how exactly it's done.
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Nut

I'm not sure if there is a standard way or if everybody works completely different, but do the tracks get processed (EQ, compression....etc) on the way in or are they recorded, back out DAW, processed and than back into DAW?

MPC -> outboard -> mixer -> software, tape, HD

or

MPC -> mixer -> software, tape HD -> mixer -> outboard -> software, tape, HD
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Nobody?
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

or if everybody works completely different
heh
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitt
heh
Even better, I'm all ears ...
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitt
heh
When I was using hardware, I mostly just went samplers-->board & outboard-->2-track mixdown.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri
When I was using hardware, I mostly just went samplers-->board & outboard-->2-track mixdown.
Thanks. The reason I was asking about when in the chain does the processing happen is this. I don't know if it would be worse to use mediocre outboard during tracking or tracking the MPC and S950 directly (no outboard) and then taking it to a studio, running the signal out of DAW through good quality outboard back into DAW. This way, better outboard gear would be used, but there would also be 2 extra conversions.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks. The reason I was asking about when in the chain does the processing happen is this. I don't know if it would be worse to use mediocre outboard during tracking or tracking the MPC and S950 directly (no outboard) and then taking it to a studio, running the signal out of DAW through good quality outboard back into DAW. This way, better outboard gear would be used, but there would also be 2 extra conversion.
The very best of anything is always great for both tracking and summing. For pefection, there should be no weak link. However, I would just focus on producing hits for now, because if you be too technical, you would not get anything done.

If I recall, I think you said that you needed a software program. Well this can be a start for question because the software program along has a very big learning curve. It takes very many hours of practice just to learn the software for your DAW.

If you do like Tony said by just getting a inexpensive digi 002 system, many engineers can just take your files and buss them into their high end gear for you at a good price. This is what they do for a living and many studios do have at least a PT system. However, forgive me if I am wrong, but you may need to focus on producing with what you already have because time is too short for you to be too technical. This high-end and low-end stuff can keep you in 1'st gear forever and you will never get anything done. Everybody has their own way to track and sum audio, but here is how some people sum....> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&highlight=sum
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
time is too short for you to be too technical. This high-end and low-end stuff can keep you in 1'st gear forever and you will never get anything done. > https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&highlight=sum
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. The reason I was asking about when in the chain does the processing happen is this. I don't know if it would be worse to use mediocre outboard during tracking or tracking the MPC and S950 directly (no outboard) and then taking it to a studio, running the signal out of DAW through good quality outboard back into DAW. This way, better outboard gear would be used, but there would also be 2 extra conversions.
Personally:
(A) I wouldn't sweat the conversions.
(B) If your own mediocre outboard is producing an effect you like, track it. I'd say save dynamics management and mix EQ til the studio. But if you have EQ/compression/delay/whatever that really defines the character of the sound, I'd probably just put it down rather than try to dial it in again at the studio. Or at least have both wet & dry versions. I used to use my EPS' internal effects and a Midiverb a lot, and they aren't spectacular for sure, but they were part of my tracks, and became part of my sound at that time, and trying to redo them in the studio wasted more time than it was worth almost always.

I'd agree with BigAl's advice here, too, about not getting bogged down worrying about best-practice; do the best you can, then move on from there for the next song and do better...

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks a lot, both of you guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri
If your own mediocre outboard is producing an effect you like, track it. I'd say save dynamics management and mix EQ til the studio. But if you have EQ/compression/delay/whatever that really defines the character of the sound, I'd probably just put it down rather than try to dial it in again at the studio.
I don't have any outboard gear, I'm putting all this together and am asking questions BEFORE buying. I have to get software and a soundcard (I already got some suggestions).

If everybody would have told me that the outboard processing happens during tracking, I'd try and get some affordable stuff. Since sound processing during mixing is also an option, I can put more money towards soundcard / converters at this point.

I'm really not focused on any particular gear (it probably comes across like that though), I'm more interested in the process of making the records I like. That's why I bug you all with all these questions. I wanna know about methods more than about this preamp vs that preamp.

This thread has been very helpful and answered a lot of my questions .... thumbsup
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

So, apropos of this thread:

I'm just about to track some stuff I did a while back with StudioVision driving my rack of hardware samplers, recording into Logic. 30-odd tracks, 8 inputs... So several passes will be required. Any differences going DAW-to-DAW vs MPC to DAW; does it make a difference which one is master?

Should I break out my old Pismo-laptop-with-serial-port/Studio 5LX combo to run StudioVision?

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.mpc2000xl.com/ thumbsup found out you can add a harddrive to your 2000xl
Old 13th July 2005
Here for the gear

sync problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
the computer will not change the mpc's groove... if u have 8 outs on the mpc, but only 2 good channels of micpre/di/ da/ (whatever way you're going into your computer) you will have to make multiple passes. 2 trax on the first pass, 2 trax on the 2nd pass, etc...

The problem might be that the trax will no longer be in sync w. each other like they were in the mpc... theoretically, this wouldn't be too much of a problem 'cuz you could just line them up w. each other...

but, i believe thethrillfactor is saying even lining up is not enough, because they will drift throughout the track... midi is not the world's most up to date computer standard...

that's why i've been using mpc as master, number one, and i'm in the market for an 8 channel box like the nicerizer and 8 channels of good ada like the lynx aurora...

$5 k or more, but w. that setup, the mpc trax would NOT be the problem...

(ps in the meantime you could record the trax 2 at a time on a delta audiophile into magix studio and get them to line up so tight that you could no longer hear a difference...)
1)
I'm trying to understand this... If the MPC is set as the Master, its sequence timing should be rock solid when you record into pro tools correct? Otherwise if ProTools is the master there is more of a chance of the synchronization being as good since the MPC is known for it's solid sequencing.

2) I just got an mpc 4000 and I'm trying to sync Pro Tools 6.9 to it. I couldn't do it successfully using MTC both ways, they definitely are not locking up. There is always a lag and as I began to dump the tracks into pro tools their synchronization gets worse and worse. Should I use Midi Clock instead. I'm thinking I should try by setting the mpc sync out to midi clock. and setting pro tools to send mmc to the mpc so that i can control the mpcs transport but still have the mpc as the master.

Does this sound right to anyone or am i off? Someone help me please, this is driving me nuts, i have been trying to sync them up for 2 weeks now. Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search