The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making the Mixerless Studio LOOK COOL
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

How about something completely different....

I think the real beauty of a mixerless studio is the small size, which lets you stay in the sweet spot, and potentially gives alot less console splash reflections from the monitors. It seems counter productive to load up a bunch of outboard into a big console, and prop audio monitors back up on a 'meter' bridge. Why fake a console...celebrate that you don't need one!

Instead, why not build a smallish desk, with angled LCD monitors, plus your control surface (I like faders/knobs). Do you need 24-36 or even 48 faders...if they're automated, working with 16 I think would be great (8 for tracks, 8 for busses, and just switch them around in banks). This lets you get better quality faders for your buck. Lose the meter bridge concept, instead put your nearfields on good stands.

Build a 'remote control'. A small touchscreen LCD monitor, and small size keyboard mounted below it. Build it into a roll around stand kindof like a remote for a 2" deck or Radar system. Put lots of VGA/serial/keyb extensions on it, and you can drag it around your room, and control the transport while tweaking outboard racks...maybe with a switching system, you can get it into your tracking room.

I think you can make something like this look cool...the key is to not make it look like you bought a desk from ikea and just dropped your computer on it. A custom desk made for your setup will look cool (asuming it built well)...just make sure it's going to make your work flow easier. Consider those early reflection paths from the monitor....it's amazing to hear what a difference it can make just getting the monitors off the meter bridge. It's even better once the bridge disapears. There's a reason why mastering studios tend to have those very tiny work stations.

Cheers,

Kris
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

i've been thinking about keeping my tascam m2600 and getting a mackie control with 2 expanders.. but at the same times through it doesn't have a lcd display i've really be thinking about going with the tascam Fw1884 with 2 fe8 expanders fit perfectly into an argosy desk.
i wish something like pro control worked with nuendo. i'd get it quickly.. before sessions start have it in demo mode just showing it off.. o well.. later next year i'll be getting the euphonix system 5MC.... but the way i want it with the converters comes to $160,000. i can't spend that and get a loft downtown for a studio

what do you all think about the Tascam FW1884? true opinions...i'll buy it based on you all....(o i can get it under $1000 and the expanders for $750 each
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Nut

thats an old SEEM AUDIO broadcast console. I just removed all the channels and modules and mounted my 19" gear in it. looks like a console and I have enough space to store my waste...
Attached Thumbnails
Making the Mixerless Studio LOOK COOL-desk.jpg  
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

i couldn't find exactly what i wanted so i built my own. 95% of the construction was done using just a circular saw and power drill. here's a few pix:

http://www.mastermindrecordings.com/.../FrontView.jpg

http://www.mastermindrecordings.com/...ViewQWERTY.jpg

http://www.mastermindrecordings.com/...opViewMIDI.jpg
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Nice work Rap Freak.

Looks Pro !
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Guru

this is a pointless tease: i'm in the process of transforming a sweet sounding, but manhattan tiny, room into an extremly cool workspace.

basically, i will have no desk, no flat surface at all in front of the monitors, nothing between the drivers and me but pure air. the idea is to minimize/eliminate console reflections, something most mixerless studios also have because they've simply substituted an office desk for a mixing desk.

so if anyone has any clever thoughts on how to mount a trackball directly to the end of the arm of an aeron, and a keyboard to the other, i'm all ears.

then i just need two little stands for the ns10's, and to hang the bass absorbers, and i'll post pix for all the world to see. it's gonna be saWEET.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

my setup

brother in law built it for me.

*shameless plug*

he's available for custom work. PM if interested.
Old 31st August 2005
Here for the gear

very nice setups guys, all looks very intuitive and cozy

my question is.. where do you guys get those fancy desks? do you buy them pre-made? or custom built?
Old 31st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
basically, i will have no desk, no flat surface at all in front of the monitors, nothing between the drivers and me but pure air. the idea is to minimize/eliminate console reflections, something most mixerless studios also have because they've simply substituted an office desk for a mixing desk.
Good for you! Doug Sax seems to have had a similar idea in mind when he put this room together.

http://www.lasvegasproaudio.com/saxforatc.html
Old 31st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
my setup

brother in law built it for me.

*shameless plug*

he's available for custom work. PM if interested.
That is one sexy desk. Shame he's in the states.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 31st August 2005
Lives for gear

I purchased an older soundcraft board, like many here for a classic studio look. Clients love it, but I've found many uses for it since I've owned it. I've saved time by mixing on the board instead of writing automation in PT. Now I have to buy or build a desk!

Don
Old 1st September 2005
Gear Head

You might want to look into the id controller by WK Audio.
http://www.wk-audio.de/index.php
I remember seeing ads for it in Mix every one in a while, but haven't heard anything about it recently. Supposed to be built from the ground up for Nuendo.
Old 1st September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
I really don't mix much anymore (but I have the capabilities to) -

This desk was $100 at Office Depot (Max?)

The rack was a 6-space MidAtlProd standard box, cut to 2 30/60/90's and dropped right on top of cavities cut into the desktop.

Literally, $150 and 2 hours of work - And I have no f**king clue what I'm doing with wood. Someone who does could probably knock it out in 45 minutes.

http://www.massivemastering.com/html...ographs_0.html
John, I took the liberty of poking through that little online gallery of your mastering room. From a marketing/web design POV, it's a very handsome, persuasive presentation. I like the way you've focused on the gear, which shows a savvy understanding of what I figure attracts mastering customers. (Since you can't very well have a close up of your goden ears, anyhow. heh )

It's a lot more vivid than a bloodless text listing of gear....
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

Control/24 and Argosy here.

Cant seem to post pics. I'll figure it out and post a shot.

Shane
Old 1st September 2005
Gear Head

Take a look at - www.studiotables.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search