The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee PSX-100 or Rosetta 200
Old 21st June 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Apogee PSX-100 or Rosetta 200

Hi everyone,

Facing a dilemma right now. I'm putting together a home rig and originally planned to get an Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA converter to put in front of an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile so I can run Pro Tools M-Powered at 96K.

That's still the plan, but a friend is now selling an Apogee PSX-100 and suggested I buy his unit instead of the Rosetta 200. Was curious to know how different these two boxes would sound and which way I should go.

If I go for the PSX-100 I would save about $550 USD so its not a huge amount but I'm curious about the sound quality. I've used the PSX-100 before and it sounds good but is the Rosetta 200 just a bit better or far superior? Would really value some advice/opinions here.
Old 21st June 2005
  #2
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Hi everyone,

Facing a dilemma right now. I'm putting together a home rig and originally planned to get an Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA converter to put in front of an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile so I can run Pro Tools M-Powered at 96K.

That's still the plan, but a friend is now selling an Apogee PSX-100 and suggested I buy his unit instead of the Rosetta 200. Was curious to know how different these two boxes would sound and which way I should go.

If I go for the PSX-100 I would save about $550 USD so its not a huge amount but I'm curious about the sound quality. I've used the PSX-100 before and it sounds good but is the Rosetta 200 just a bit better or far superior? Would really value some advice/opinions here.
The Rosetta 200 is FAR better sounding [at least to me] than the PSX-100... and while it might cost you $550- less to get into it, I don't really think the PSX-100 is all that useable without a "Big Ben" which is $1,250-... so it's not really any savings.
Old 21st June 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The Rosetta 200 is FAR better sounding [at least to me] than the PSX-100... and while it might cost you $550- less to get into it, I don't really think the PSX-100 is all that useable without a "Big Ben" which is $1,250-... so it's not really any savings.
That's exactly the type of advice I was looking for, thanks! Rosetta 200 here I come! :D
Old 6th July 2005
  #4
Gear Nut
 
Moofie's Avatar
 

Thanks as well. Have also been offered a PSX at a fair price but the 200 appeals due to new 777 clocking and newer technology inside all round.

Ta
Old 6th July 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

From what I understand, the Rosetta 200 doesn't have the 777 clock.
Old 6th July 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofie
Thanks as well. Have also been offered a PSX at a fair price but the 200 appeals due to new 777 clocking and newer technology inside all round.

Ta
X series contains the 'big ben' clock...rosetta's dont
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump